cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do they stay in business?

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
I needed to order a battery box vent cover. Mine has just gotten brittle and broken from years of sun and weather.

Found the exact replacement part on Camping World online store. I'm thinking "super". $5.50 +. Went to order and was floored with better than $15 for shipping. Are you friggin kidding me?? A piece of 4X4" plastic that you can easily stick in a shipping envelope? That is absolute robbery!!

Went to ebay and fouond the same item for $6.49 and FREE shipping.

Camping World is no longer in my "favorites" and will not renew my Good Sam membership if they are going to constantly fleece customers. There are other options!
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude
49 REPLIES 49

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
tragusa3 wrote:
I LOVE this entire hobby, but the "Grumpy Old Men" syndrome is running amuck and killing this forum. Every single thread I read ends up with folks antagonizing others for their opinions. It's sad... and I'm sure it's chasing away good people.

GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!!

Actually, I agree with you. Life is too short. ๐Ÿ™‚

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
I LOVE this entire hobby, but the "Grumpy Old Men" syndrome is running amuck and killing this forum. Every single thread I read ends up with folks antagonizing others for their opinions. It's sad... and I'm sure it's chasing away good people.

The "Grumpy Old Men" are hoping to run "everyone" off so they will have the forum to themselves. :M

banjo
Explorer
Explorer
I would have to agree with that....
Banjo
2011 3500 DRW D/A CC LB 4X4
2011 Cameo 34SB3

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

TinyoneRV
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea what you received or what size it was. Regardless of the weight, UPS charges by size and weight. (If you can figure out their charges from the internet site, let me know how you did it.) Of course small, non-breakable items could be shipped in a padded envelope by US mail.

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
TinyoneRV wrote:
Those who complain of shipping costs should take an item to UPS or FedX and ship it to anywhere. Neither care if your item is worthless or a rare gem. Shipping cost is determined by weight and size, not he value of what you ship. Complaining about the expensive shipping cost of an inexpensive item makes no sense to CW, UPS or FedX. Shipping is expensive.

I wasn't going to get back into the fray, but, this item came to me from an ebay merchant. It came by USPS, in a padded envelope and weighed 4 oz. You don't think that the $15 shipping charge from CW was a bit excessive?
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

TinyoneRV
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
TinyoneRV wrote:
Those who complain of shipping costs should take an item to UPS or FedX and ship it to anywhere. Neither care if your item is worthless or a rare gem. Shipping cost is determined by weight and size, not he value of what you ship. Complaining about the expensive shipping cost of an inexpensive item makes no sense to CW, UPS or FedX. Shipping is expensive.

Amazon does a great job of getting us to pay $80 per year for "free" shipping. It works because some of us will never use our $80 worth and because Amazon is a multi-line store (you can buy anything). How many complainers would pay CW $80 each year for "free" shipping? Also, CW offers free shipping to GS members for orders over a certain amount ($75, I think), but they need enough profit on the item to afford free shipping. I don't think that's bad for a single-line store.

I do think CW should implement a ship-to-store option to serve those campers that are close to a store or plan to be close to a store in their travels.

Are you saying nation wide business don't get a deal on shipping?

No.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
TinyoneRV wrote:

Amazon does a great job of getting us to pay $80 per year for "free" shipping. It works because some of us will never use our $80 worth and because Amazon is a multi-line store (you can buy anything). How many complainers would pay CW $80 each year for "free" shipping? Also, CW offers free shipping to GS members for orders over a certain amount ($75, I think), but they need enough profit on the item to afford free shipping. I don't think that's bad for a single-line store.

I do think CW should implement a ship-to-store option to serve those campers that are close to a store or plan to be close to a store in their travels.

Are you saying nation wide business don't get a deal on shipping?
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

TinyoneRV
Explorer
Explorer

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
I just received two Good Sam directories and a Good Sam atlas. I thought the shipping charge was a bit steep. But where else can one purchase these items?

arkie_camper
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same story as several of you, but worse. I wanted to order two items online....totaling $7.00 and the shipping was over $12.00. Although I was disappointed, I wasn't mad about it. Fortunately a Camping World is less than 3 miles away. So after work today, I stopped by to check on the two items. They were not in stock. I asked if I could order online and have them shipped to the store. No, I was told. I then asked if they could order them for me. Again I was told no on one item and possibly on the other. Possibly, really? It's as if they are trying hard not to sell stuff. So as others have suggested, I'll take my business elsewhere but I'll continue to pass this story on to others.

Mark
Mark and Dianna
along with Hank the Wonderdog
2015 Ram 3500 DRW
2016 CC Silverback 33IK

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
We used to order from camping world and then we found Amazon.
We gladly pay the 80 dollars for the membership as it pays for itself in just a few orders with the 2 day delivery and they will deliver on Sunday's.
Sucks for the people working Sunday's but we our packages that much faster.

Camping world does take advantage of people who don't know to look around.
We learned the hard way.
Now we go through three or 4 websites before we order.

Just have to take that time to do research.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Great thing is when they go out of business they will shut this site down and we will not have to put up with this bs anymore.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Charles wrote:
Where did you find free freight on Amazon? Was it where you pay $80 something a year to get "free" freight?

I have amazon prime and it ain't free freight, I also use camping world, also not free freight.

Did you actually READ the original post? He didn't buy anything from Amazon.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
darsben wrote:
empty_nest wrote:
I needed to order a battery box vent cover. Mine has just gotten brittle and broken from years of sun and weather.

Found the exact replacement part on Camping World online store. I'm thinking "super". $5.50 +. Went to order and was floored with better than $15 for shipping. Are you friggin kidding me?? A piece of 4X4" plastic that you can easily stick in a shipping envelope? That is absolute robbery!!

Went to ebay and fouond the same item for $6.49 and FREE shipping.

Camping World is no longer in my "favorites" and will not renew my Good Sam membership if they are going to constantly fleece customers. There are other options!

So you are against the free enterprise system where every retailer is free to set their prices without government intervention?
The alternative is government controlled pricing.
MAKE YOUR CHOICE.

Are you intoxicated?
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion