cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I may have fried my Jack Antenna Please help

CanuckRV
Explorer
Explorer
So I fired up my Jack Antenna this morning and auto programed the TV and every thing was fine. This afternoon I thought I would see what was on and got a no signal message from my TV I thought I might have unplugged the Jack adapter by mistake but it was fine switched outlets but still no signal. I grabbed the volt meter to test the outlets and they were good, I checked the output from the adapter to make sure it was working, instead of showing 12V dc it was 19.5Vdc.
Did it fry the antenna also? or is the a fuse inside that would have kept it from over powering? or is everything going to be OK if I can find a new adapter?
The Galavan 1991 34' Newport by Cobra.
Traveling companions Oscar, Maya.
5 REPLIES 5

King_Controls
Explorer
Explorer
CanuckRV wrote:
So I fired up my Jack Antenna this morning and auto programed the TV and every thing was fine. This afternoon I thought I would see what was on and got a no signal message from my TV I thought I might have unplugged the Jack adapter by mistake but it was fine switched outlets but still no signal. I grabbed the volt meter to test the outlets and they were good, I checked the output from the adapter to make sure it was working, instead of showing 12V dc it was 19.5Vdc.
Did it fry the antenna also? or is the a fuse inside that would have kept it from over powering? or is everything going to be OK if I can find a new adapter?

I am with KING, the manufacture of the Jack. 19 volts is not going to be enough to fry the antenna. If you have voltage to the antenna head, but you do not receive any channels, then it is probably a defective antenna head. Feel free to contact me at 952-345-8151 or chris.waples@kingconnect.com for a replacement head.

thanks

Chris Waples
Service Manager

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
As stated NO LOAD voltage is always higher unless you have a really good regulated power supply. I doubt you fried the Jack.

Many reasons for "NO SIGNAL" could be a bad cable, low signal strength, if you are close to a station and know for sure you should have a signal you will have to check the voltage at the antenna to verify the wiring.

Not sure on your set up but do you have a switch ANT/CABLE in the wrong position?
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I must have posted on a different forum.

The voltages you saw comming out of that wall wart are normal.. NO LOAD voltages for a 12 volt (Rated) Wall wart.. I do not think you fried the hunk of junk.

IF you are on the raggd edge of the television stations range the SUN can make a big difference.. Morning it's shining one way,, Afternoon another and one of those can block reception.. there are other solar issues as well.. This is not a good time for radio (And thus TV) signals.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
It is almost impossible to see the little red light during the day. Disconnect the connector on the antenna and measure the voltage there. Mine quit working the other day. Seems the connector on the antenna was a tad loose.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you notice if the Red LED on antenna head was lit.

I don't know what the max DC VOLTAGE range is for the KING JACK INJECTOR Power Supply..

On my setup I use the same COAX that fed the BATWING antenna which got its PREAMPLIFIER power from the Antenna Panel.

I didn't have to use the JACK provided 12VDC Power Injector shown here.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS