cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

iPhone Lock screen Emergency feature

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Apple Health app that comes in iOS 8 has the ability to let you create a profile eg ICE contact, blood type, allergies, etc in a profile then it adds an Emergency button on the lock screen that First responders and E room people know to look for.

how to clicky
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.
11 REPLIES 11

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
My BIL is a new paramedic as well as several of my daughters friends, obviously the next generation being under two years in the field.This came up a few weeks ago at a birthday party, and they all said that's one of the first things they do right after looking for paper ID. One of them said that it's starting to be common practice by the more tech savvy in ER as well.
Times are a changin'
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
As a retired FF/EMT, we never bothered to check for anything in the field except for Medic Alert symbols -- unless the situation warranted (diabetes, etc.). Just didn't have enough time, unless the item was visible, out in the open.

At least, ICE is a little safer than checking for a wallet card. That won't happen until you hit the ER doors, and only maybe, then. ER staff is even busier than field personnel, in most areas. Staff may tag and bag personal items but usually won't search them, for liability reasons.

If you're at home, some depts. do check the refrigerator for either magnetized pouches with information or "Vials of Life" in the fridge -- especially if the patient is found alone.

And, the USB stick idea just doesn't fly. No way will I plug an unknown thumb drive into my laptop, and the hospital won't, either. Too much risk!

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
One day, all blood will be converted to type O and we won't need to worry about blood type anymore.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11508-enzymes-convert-all-donor-blood-to-group-o/
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
ljr wrote:
I did it but I've been wondering if emergency personnel were up to speed. Are you one?
they're figuring it out. Especially since EVERYONE now has a smartphone, and most know how to drive them.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
srt20 wrote:
Around here emergency room providers don't look at your stuff. If you need a blood transfusion, they have to draw blood to accurately verify blood type. My wife is a PA in an ER. I also asked if nurses or techs look, and she said no.

I don't know if first responders do. I would guess they do for your emergency contact if you unconscious or something.

When I asked my MD what my blood type was to put in it, he said that the current test for blood type is so quick and simple they'd do it anyway so not to bother listing it.
Larry

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
Around here emergency room providers don't look at your stuff. If you need a blood transfusion, they have to draw blood to accurately verify blood type. My wife is a PA in an ER. I also asked if nurses or techs look, and she said no.

I don't know if first responders do. I would guess they do for your emergency contact if you unconscious or something.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I sometimes forget my phone.. I never forget my necklace.. Anyone want to guess what jewlery I wear?

(HINT: Medic Alert)

Another item.. Many phones will allow you to make a phone call from the lock screen.. But there is only one number you can call 9-1-1 in the US

(in some other countries it is 9-9-9)

Or in other words.. The office I retired from.

Also 9-1-1 is a free call (no airtime mniutes no dime/quarter/coins of any size, at a pay phone)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its comes free with iOS. Not a bad idea but I would rather have a picture of something or someone pretty on my wallpaper. Like my dog.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
On my Iphone I just made a jpg with the ICE info and made it the wallpaper. No APP needed and costs zero.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
No but a friend is a fireman and asked me if I had done it. So thats a good sign. Probably talk about stuff like that while they are eating meatball subs.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did it but I've been wondering if emergency personnel were up to speed. Are you one?
Larry