cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kingdome Satellite Dish

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
We have an older Kingdome model 9702 that came with the RV in 2006.
Initially we used Direct tv but now are Dish customers.
Regardless of our location or wide open area, we never get the full guide or all the channels we subscribe to. Dish says it's a Kingdome problem. King says the 9702 will only receive one satellite, which is not enough to get all my channels.

Do all Dish rvers have the same problem with 9702?
Any workarounds?
6 REPLIES 6

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
Bill, I can accept that a 12 year old system has probably seen its best days. I have a King Tailgater (works great) that I used when the dome
was blocked. Guess I will start using it as my primary or when needed until the system crashes completely. At that point I agree the traveler would be my top choice.

Thanks again!

Doug

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, you are not the only one. It's an old antenna and you may have to deal with that reality. You should be trying to receive the Western Arc satellites at 110, 119 and 129. You will need to change a some settings to move for the Eastern Arc (61.5, 72 and 77). If you have the antenna set for WA and you are only picking up 77 (and you have a clear view) then you likely are done and will want to replace the antenna. If you do, I would recommend that you install a Trav'ler to avoid all the problems inherent with domes.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the inputs thus far.
When I said all channels, i meant all the channels I am paying for and should show up on the guide.

Thew King technician was very firm saying the 9702 would only receive one satellite at a time. walked me thru the check switch process and verified I was only getting Echostar 77 Sat. Since different sats carry different networks, he said all must be received and the 9702 would not switch back and forth. He also stated they no longer support or provide parts for the 9702 and not cost effective to repair.

Sounds like I am the only one with this problem.

Doug

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The King Dome (every dome) can only receive the programming from 1 satellite at a time but if it is working properly it should switch between the 3 satellites automatically. Have you done the required check switch routine and if so are you sure you are seeing an SW64 setup as the switch? What receiver are you using, are you using more than 1 and are you sure that the main receiver is connected to the main output on the King Dome itself? The older domes do sometimes have issues with Dish after they changed the broadcast signal but the 9702 is one of the ones listed as not needing to be updated to work properly.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
bennefim wrote:
We have an older Kingdome model 9702 that came with the RV in 2006.
Initially we used Direct tv but now are Dish customers.
Regardless of our location or wide open area, we never get the full guide or all the channels we subscribe to. Dish says it's a Kingdome problem. King says the 9702 will only receive one satellite, which is not enough to get all my channels.

Do all Dish rvers have the same problem with 9702?
Any workarounds?

I don't understand what you mean when you say it will receive only one satellite, it is an automatic dome and should switch between satellites as needed, please explain?

Also King states in service bulletin 01-15 (March 2016) that the 9702 antenna is not affected by the DISH transition to 8PSK.

Do you have the 9702 operation manual? King 9702 Operation Manual

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of our location or wide open area, we never get the full guide or all the channels we subscribe to. Dish says it's a King dome problem. King says the 9702 will only receive one satellite, which is not enough to get all my channels.

There are several issues going on here:
  1. You almost never receive EVERY channel in the FULL Dish program guide, because subscription packages don't include EVERY channel. Some specialized packages (NFL, Sports, International) have separate charges.
  2. King is only half right about the single LNB -- when you change channels that require a satellite/transponder change, the dome should automatically move (if you got all 3 satellites when you ran your setup CheckSwitch).
  3. NOTE: Some older 9702's won't work at all with Dish, because Dish changed their method of signal modulation a year or so back. King dome models newer than about 2009 can be retrofitted, but older ones (like my 9702) need total replacement. (If you can get ANY Dish program channel to appear cleanly on screen, you don't have this problem. Easy to confirm!)