cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest Windows 10 Update Help

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
As always in the past, I got the message when shutting my laptop off that a new Windows 10 update was ready to install... I selected install update and then shutoff.. When I restarted the computer, the update finished installing as usual.. but then the screen displayed a white box with the following in it.. "Personalized Settings...Setting up personaLized settings for: Web Platform Customizations".. This remained on the screen for over an hour.. so I shut off and restarted the laptop.. started as normal but then went back to same white box screen.. Has anyone else experienced this with the latest update.. unless resolved, my laptop is useless.. HELP
9 REPLIES 9

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cristian123 wrote:
I'm thinking about trying Windows 10, so I'm glad that I've found this topic. Thanks for sharing, guys!
Too late: we're moving on to Windows 11 now.

Cristian123
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about trying Windows 10, so I'm glad that I've found this topic. Thanks for sharing, guys!

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Windows 7 does or did that from time to time and yes it is extremely annoying. I would probably turn the computer on with it plugged into power just before I went to bed and let it run all night. It should be up when you wake up in the morning.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree with previous comments. OP should not be shutting his computer off when he is notified of updates .....leave it on and let Windows Update do its thing.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Stop shutting it down. Let it finish. Occasionally they can take a while. We're pushing out 1903 to 1700 machines. In our testing some rebooted in 30 minutes. some took 90 minutes. Most finished in 45 minutes.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You should not shut down the computer.
In lower right corner click on Windows icon, then click on settings, when new creen comes up, click on update. Let computer run to see what updates and install, There could also be optional update, install it/ them. Let it do it's thing, do not shut off computer!
When done run disc clean up. Make sure you clean system files.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Here's link to folks with the same problem after an update to Windows 7 that directs the users to do a system restore to fix this problem.

https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/284474-getting-odd-message-windows-7-startup.html
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
unplug a wireless mouse or other USB items.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
On your brand new PC?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad