cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Locast.org Service

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
DirecTv is fighting it out withCBS so no CBS for me. Locast.org works pretty good local TV. App is on my Fire Stick and iPad. However, iPad works better just using their website. Got this info from DirecTv on the CBS channel. Seems like their shooting themselves in the foot. Looking into all my options now.

Moderator's Note: Corrected URL address.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS
16 REPLIES 16

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
hpdrver wrote:
I have never understood why Directv and Dish do not combine a OTA broadcast antenna with their satellite dish in metropolitan areas and mix the feed into the house receiver. OTA signals are strong in metro areas and locals could be provided without paying fees.

Dish has an OTA adapter option for their receivers that adds the OTA stations to the program guide from an external OTA antenna. Dish also allows dropping the sat locals for a $12/mo savings. In some cases, Dish will even supply and install an OTA antenna at no charge during retransmission contract disputes.

GOT PROOF?

I call BS.

I HAVE TRIED for years to have Dish remove the locals AND the UPCHARGE for them, they WILL NOT. I get MORE local channels than Dish carries (Dish only carries the MAIN OTA channel and not the SUB channels). Not to mention Dish only rebroadcasts the main OTA channels in 480i and I get a much better pix using my OTA antenna (1080i for main channels).

Believe it or not, Dish TURNS A PROFIT by forcing you to pay for the locals.

They do this in two ways, first they charge you MORE than what they pay for the local carry.

SECOND WAY IS THEY INSERT THEIR OWN COMMERCIALS (that DISHES sales people sell) OVER TOP OF THE LOCAL COMMERCIALS.

I used to install big dish C band systems and had one up until 2005 or so when the last non commercial C band programmer dropped out, many channels on the big dish would leave blank/black no sound spaces for cable and mini dish systems to insert their commercials.. For channels that do not leave blank spaces they simply cut over to their own commercials then cut back to the programming.. Dish IS SLOPPY at the cuts..

Don't be fooled, Direct and Cable COs does this also..

Yep, they DOUBLE DIP, and it IS LEGAL to do so :M

Call it whatever you want. The facts are that Dish allows dropping the locals with a resulting $12 savings on all but the loss leader Welcome Pack. It's as easy as unchecking the "Locals" selection in the "My Programming" section of your "MyDish" account.

If you've been paying any attention to the industry news, then you know that the locals retrans fees have skyrocketed over the past few years, currently averaging $4-$5/mo per subscriber per channel. Count the local primary channels in your area and multiply to get an idea of what Dish is likely paying for them. Perhaps the commercial inserts are helping to offset the loss Dish takes on the locals. If Dish was making any money from the locals, why would they break them out as a package and promote dropping them by offering the dual tuner OTA adapter that integrates the OTA locals with the EPG?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ferretgrandpa
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago Dish gave us the option to drop Local channels, at that time $10 a month. We hooked up an antenna and never looked back.
Have since cut the cord, swapping a $100/mo dish bill for a $30/mo increase on the internet bill.
I was with Dish for 18 years, no problems. I don't miss the weather fade.

Tom
Medical reasons took us off the road
98 GMC 2500
RBW Lil Rocker 15K
08 Flagstaff 8526 RLS

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
hpdrver wrote:
I have never understood why Directv and Dish do not combine a OTA broadcast antenna with their satellite dish in metropolitan areas and mix the feed into the house receiver. OTA signals are strong in metro areas and locals could be provided without paying fees.

Dish has an OTA adapter option for their receivers that adds the OTA stations to the program guide from an external OTA antenna. Dish also allows dropping the sat locals for a $12/mo savings. In some cases, Dish will even supply and install an OTA antenna at no charge during retransmission contract disputes.

GOT PROOF?

I call BS.

I HAVE TRIED for years to have Dish remove the locals AND the UPCHARGE for them, they WILL NOT. I get MORE local channels than Dish carries (Dish only carries the MAIN OTA channel and not the SUB channels). Not to mention Dish only rebroadcasts the main OTA channels in 480i and I get a much better pix using my OTA antenna (1080i for main channels).

Believe it or not, Dish TURNS A PROFIT by forcing you to pay for the locals.

They do this in two ways, first they charge you MORE than what they pay for the local carry.

SECOND WAY IS THEY INSERT THEIR OWN COMMERCIALS (that DISHES sales people sell) OVER TOP OF THE LOCAL COMMERCIALS.

I used to install big dish C band systems and had one up until 2005 or so when the last non commercial C band programmer dropped out, many channels on the big dish would leave blank/black no sound spaces for cable and mini dish systems to insert their commercials.. For channels that do not leave blank spaces they simply cut over to their own commercials then cut back to the programming.. Dish IS SLOPPY at the cuts..

Don't be fooled, Direct and Cable COs does this also..

Yep, they DOUBLE DIP, and it IS LEGAL to do so :M

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Dutch_12078 wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:

How To Cut The Cord But Keep Live TV & DVR For $10/month

Dutch

Have you used this with Locast? Will it allow you to schedule future programs to record? That would be just about perfect for me. I may give it a try.

I haven't tried it, Steve, since I'm not in Locast coverage areas often enough to justify it. Fitzy's DVR service gets mixed reviews, and I think one of the problems is the lack of guide coverage far enough out for planning recordings. Fitzy keeps making improvements though, so hopefully that'll change at some point.

Dutch

I cut the cord again and I'm using Locast with the Fitzy TV you suggested. So far I like it. You mention not always being in the coverage area. I'm planning to leave the state but still want to watch my local channels. Do you think they will block me? It's probably a stupid law. Can I get around that by using something like a VPN? Still, I may not be able to use a VPN on my phone where I have Fitzy. It doesn't look like their is a Fitzy for a Windows computer.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
DirecTv is giving a one time credit of $30 for the inconvenience of no CBS. Looked at my account and they gave me a $60 credit. :h

On edit: I now have $90 credit! Getting richer by the day. Looking at new GMCโ€™s.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
hpdrver wrote:

Dutch

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:

Dutch

Have you used this with Locast? Will it allow you to schedule future programs to record? That would be just about perfect for me. I may give it a try.

I haven't tried it, Steve, since I'm not in Locast coverage areas often enough to justify it. Fitzy's DVR service gets mixed reviews, and I think one of the problems is the lack of guide coverage far enough out for planning recordings. Fitzy keeps making improvements though, so hopefully that'll change at some point.
Dutch

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
hpdrver wrote:
It would not be free since it involves extra equipment and support. And it's a duplication of locals from the satellite. Can't see any motivation for them.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been using locast a couple of days. Picture quality is spotty. It will go from HD to worse than SD. It change back an forth 3 times while typing this post. Yesterday I couldnโ€™t even get on most of the time.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Dutch_12078 wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
I subscribed to Locast (which carries only local broadcast channels) for a couple of months at $5 per month and I liked it, but it has no DVR. A few times I would record a program on Locast with the built-in Windows screen recorder, but that meant I couldn't do anything else on my computer until the program was over. If they ever get a programmable DVR I might subscribe again and even pay a little more. One other drawback is they don't have the secondary channels like 27-2, 27-3, etc., only the base channels like 27-1.

If you're using a streaming device like the Firestick for Locast viewing, adding the FitzyTV app will give you a DVR option for Locast and many other streaming services for as little as $5/mo. Note also that Locast is starting to back fill their channels with the sub-channels. LA for instance, lists 45 channels, and San Francisco 48.

Dutch

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
I subscribed to Locast (which carries only local broadcast channels) for a couple of months at $5 per month and I liked it, but it has no DVR. A few times I would record a program on Locast with the built-in Windows screen recorder, but that meant I couldn't do anything else on my computer until the program was over. If they ever get a programmable DVR I might subscribe again and even pay a little more. One other drawback is they don't have the secondary channels like 27-2, 27-3, etc., only the base channels like 27-1.

If you're using a streaming device like the Firestick for Locast viewing, adding the FitzyTV app will give you a DVR option for Locast and many other streaming services for as little as $5/mo. Note also that Locast is starting to back fill their channels with the sub-channels. LA for instance, lists 45 channels, and San Francisco 48.

Dutch

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Locast.org (not .com) is available on PC's, and with IOS and Android apps including for the FireTVstick. The app is also available on the Dish Hopper series receivers and some DirecTV receivers. Locast locals streaming covers 13 mostly major cities, including 9 of the cities currently off DTV due to the CBS dispute.
Dutch