cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for an iOS App

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I’m looking for a iOS app that I can enter a coordinate and have it give straightline direction and distance to the waypoint. No street maps, just a straight line path exactly like a Geocache app. This used to be a basic function of any GPS but is almost impossible to find now. Any ideas?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
13 REPLIES 13

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
iPad doesn't have a GPS unless you have a phone carrier version. One reason I will look elsewhere into tablets when I purchase another. Dumb arse me didn't even think of that when I purchased
However you do not need to sign on with a carrier to use the GPS functions of the iPad.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
JimBollman wrote:
Arrow is very simple it tells you direction with a compass pointer and distance. You can put in GPS coordinates or street address.
Yep. This looks just like my old GPS/V. Exactky what I was looking for. Thanks!
Jeff - WA6EQU

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Arrow is very simple it tells you direction with a compass pointer and distance. You can put in GPS coordinates or street address.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Question on Motion-X..
At 38Mb, obviously all of the mapping data is downloaded real-time. So what happens if I have no coverage, will the current position and waypoint still display?

Edit- just bought it. Guess I'll find out, but it's as close to anything I've seen. Thanks
Jeff - WA6EQU

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
iPad doesn't have a GPS unless you have a phone carrier version. One reason I will look elsewhere into tablets when I purchase another. Dumb arse me didn't even think of that when I purchased
You might find the same problem elsewhere since the GPS electronics are contained in the broadband chipset on the Apple. I doubt Apple has an exclusive chipset for comms.
Jeff - WA6EQU

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
This one will.
Motion X

Click menu then goto and pick coordinates.
I use this all the time to save tracks of where I've paddled.

X2
Jerry
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Motion x
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
This one will.
Motion X

Click menu then goto and pick coordinates.
I use this all the time to save tracks of where I've paddled.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
I use Distance Measure Pro for my ham radio distances.
It works quite well.
I have iOS.
That doesn't appear to let me enter lat/ Lon, then guide me to it directly.. does it?

I loaded Spyglass & Commander, and I think either might do the job. I have a couple of places out in the desert at Quartzsite that I have the coordinates for, but need either the iPhone or an old school GPS to get me there.
Jeff - WA6EQU

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I use Distance Measure Pro for my ham radio distances.
It works quite well.
I have iOS.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
RSF145 wrote:
I'm not any kind of a techie but I can get that info in google maps. point to point distant in feet, meters, miles, etc.
Goggle maps is not a off road guidance device. No maps, no connectivity. I want to use the iPhone like a good old GPS
Jeff - WA6EQU

RSF145
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not any kind of a techie but I can get that info in google maps. point to point distant in feet, meters, miles, etc.
TBE Forcier
Mary Esther, FL