cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for app similar to word pad for special purpose

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, all. I'm looking for an app similar to word pad that can sort items written on it into alphabetical order. Thanks in advance.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
23 REPLIES 23

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad that it all came together for you.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ferretgrandpa
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder, thanks for explaining it.

mr. ed, glad to have helped.

I'll almost bet that it is the same in Libre Office and probably MS Word.

Tom
Medical reasons took us off the road
98 GMC 2500
RBW Lil Rocker 15K
08 Flagstaff 8526 RLS

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
OK, ferretgrandpa and Howard & Peggy. That last suggestion nailed it. I'm good to go now. If I seemed a little dense at times, it may be the result of a stroke I suffered almost 3 years ago. In reality, I'm actually pretty smart. :). Thanks again to all who participated in this discussion.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
mr. ed wrote:
ferretgrandpa wrote:
You can sort in OpenOffice Writer, just select group and under tools find sort, that simple

My Open Office program doesn't show anything reading "group" or "sort" anywhere on the toolbar. Perhaps I have a different version of Open Office installed. It's Open Office 4, and wasn't installed too long ago.
I've got Apache Open Office 4, and if you open Open Office Writer and look at the Menu Bar you should see File Edit View Insert Format Table Tools Window Help. Click on Tools and about halfway down is Sort. If you don't have any group selected it will be grayed out.

List your passwords, Select the whole group, click on Tools, Sort, and then you'll get a window to select how you want them sorted.

I had totally forgotten about this. Thanks to Ferretgrandpa.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
You may only have installed Open Office Writer. Like MS Word is part of MS Office, Writer is part of Open Office. Calc is like Excel. All I installed was Writer and Calc, because those are about the only ones I use very much.

OK, I think I understand now. I thought my Open Office program was all inclusive. I'll follow your suggestions and let you know if I make any progress.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
ferretgrandpa wrote:
You can sort in OpenOffice Writer, just select group and under tools find sort, that simple

My Open Office program doesn't show anything reading "group" or "sort" anywhere on the toolbar. Perhaps I have a different version of Open Office installed. It's Open Office 4, and wasn't installed too long ago.

ferretgrandpa
Explorer
Explorer
Medical reasons took us off the road
98 GMC 2500
RBW Lil Rocker 15K
08 Flagstaff 8526 RLS

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may only have installed Open Office Writer. Like MS Word is part of MS Office, Writer is part of Open Office. Calc is like Excel. All I installed was Writer and Calc, because those are about the only ones I use very much.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Why not list your passwords in Excel or Open Office Calc and use the Sort function? That will list them alphabetically.

I have Open Office on my computer, but I don't see Calc. Is that a different program entirely?

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
I want the items listed vertically, separated by a space. i'm probably asking too much. LOL
If you have a list of words with a blank line between each word and then do a sort your list will then start with several blank lines followed by your list of words with no blank lines.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why not list your passwords in Excel or Open Office Calc and use the Sort function? That will list them alphabetically.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
mr. ed wrote:
Thnks, Tom. I tried the app but it doesn't work according to my needs. When I tried to sort lines ascending, all the script disappeared.
What do you mean by script? What exactly are trying to sort?

By "script" I mean the words. I'm trying to alphabetize a list of passwords to make it easier to locate certain ones. I've also tried "Alphabetizer" recommended by another respondent. It puts the items in alphabetical order OK, but all in the same line horizontally. Makes it almost impossible to read. I want the items listed vertically, separated by a space. i'm probably asking too much. LOL

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
Thnks, Tom. I tried the app but it doesn't work according to my needs. When I tried to sort lines ascending, all the script disappeared.
What do you mean by script? What exactly are trying to sort?
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
In a cmd window: sort or sort /r for reverse sort:

Original file:
a
c
r
b
l
j

C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop>sort /r file.txt
r
l
j
c
b
a

C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop>sort file.txt
a
b
c
j
l
r

Select the output & copy it into a new file, or redirect the output to another file:

C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop>sort file.txt > file2.txt

--Bruce.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L