cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for in Dash Radio/GPS

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Going to update the dash and want to put in a new radio/GPS system. Any recommendations? I'd like to stay with Kenwood because then I can use Garmin maps but will consider anything. Prefer a 2 DIN setup.
14 REPLIES 14

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
lynndiwagon wrote:
I can't imagine looking over at the radio screen for GPS navigation. IMHO a smartphone running Google Maps, or a stand alone GPS mounted to a windshield bracket is the way to go as far as safety is concerned. My smartphone is directly in front of me just to the left of the dash so I don't have to take my eyes off of the road. I also run another android app, Car Home Ultra, for speed, weather, heading, etc., while driving. I don't think apple has a comparable app. Good luck with your decision.

I for one don't want to look at a small phone screen as I think that would be dangerous especially if it is right in front of you.

In researching units, I have found that some Kenwood models will pair with an iToy or Android phone so the Google maps can be used instead of built in maps.

Still looking.

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
I can't imagine looking over at the radio screen for GPS navigation. IMHO a smartphone running Google Maps, or a stand alone GPS mounted to a windshield bracket is the way to go as far as safety is concerned. My smartphone is directly in front of me just to the left of the dash so I don't have to take my eyes off of the road. I also run another android app, Car Home Ultra, for speed, weather, heading, etc., while driving. I don't think apple has a comparable app. Good luck with your decision.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of these. It is better than a TomTom stand alone if you are going to buy an all in one.

http://riverparkinc.com/product/xite-x2s/

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
p220sigman wrote:
We have a Kenwood unit in our van (older one and I don't have the model # handy) and I will never do a combination unit again. Ours has worked fine, however, we have been unable to get it to update so the maps are way out of date. I've been in contact with Kenwood and they basically don't know what is going on, but it is out well out of warranty so there isn't anything they will do to help other than tell me what to try. We will have a standalone GPS from now on.

If you're trying to use map updates from Garmin, they won't work. The map updates need to come from Kenwood for some reason. I think it's because Kenwood pares down some of the information so it will fit on the internal memory of the Kenwood.

The only way I found to use a Garmin map update was to run it thru the Garmin utilities and create a custom map download which I then place on a MicroSD card for the Kenwood. This updated map can't be transferred to the internal memory of the Kenwood, but it can be accessed and used off the MicroSD card.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Kenwood unit in our van (older one and I don't have the model # handy) and I will never do a combination unit again. Ours has worked fine, however, we have been unable to get it to update so the maps are way out of date. I've been in contact with Kenwood and they basically don't know what is going on, but it is out well out of warranty so there isn't anything they will do to help other than tell me what to try. We will have a standalone GPS from now on.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
My RV (Roadtrek) came with an in-dash radio/GPS that was based on TomTom. Prior to that I always used Garmin. Never could get used to the TomTom, so I replaced the in-dash with a Kenwood DNX571HD that has the Garmin GPS. The Kenwood also does HD radio and I added SirusXM. Much happier now as I have been able to load all my POI files from my old Garmin handheld units.

Map updates on the Kenwood are not free and they're not updated as frequently as they are on pure Garmin GPS units. The Garmin desktop applications like Base Camp for trip planning don't work with the Kenwood/Garmin GPS. The DNX571HD does support both iPhone and Android connections, but the iPhone requires a special cable. There is a USB connection on the rear of the unit that MUST be used for things like POI file installation; the MicroSD slot on the front of the unit only works for map and SW updates, although it is possible to also use it for alternative maps. So when installing the unit it is almost mandatory that one bring the USB port out to the dash with another cable.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Garmin offers free updates for life. Built in can cost you a couple hundred dollars for the upgrade CD. Your choice, but for my money a stand alone Garmin is a better deal.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful when "combining" everything into one. You "lose" one feature, you lose them all. My OPINION: go separate.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Check Crutchfield!
cpaulsen

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
I would highly recommend a Pioneer for in dash navigation they are at the top of there game . Theres a few differnt models you can choose. I had a pioneer navi in my 05 avalanche for 10 years with out issues all the stuff is great my good friend runs a local stereo shop and he sells them quiet a bit and everbody is very happy with there new unit.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

rrev
Explorer
Explorer
I don't remember the number but I absolutely love my Kenwood.
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB
2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2007 Starcraft Homestead 282DBS (Retired)

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
In the MH preferred to keep the GPS out of the radio. I upgraded the radio to a double din Pioneer with a 6.2in touch screen with Bluetooth hands free calling, and Air Play. On the GPS side I went with the Garmin RV760LMT.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually very expensive and it's not like poping over to Costco for a new GPS when this one quits working in a few years. And are you going to have to sit out there in the truck to update the maps and software, or will it pop out so you can take it in to your desktop?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.