cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots of data

C20
Explorer
Explorer
I’m sure this has been posted before, but I’m looking for a way to get lots of data.
My wife and I are still working remotely and need data, plus we stream tv. We camp sometimes where there is no wifi. Looking for something more than the hot spots by cell phone. Suggestions?
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins
10 REPLIES 10

C20
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. I’ll check out the options mentioned.
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Most confusing is choosing a data plan. So many available ! "Unlimited" is almost always limited in someway or another. Good luck.

Especially important if one needs to do remote work using a PC, or connecting directly to a smart TV. Many mobile plans place limits on data use as hotspot/tethering. One reason I took a mobile plan that allots a specific amount of 4G LTE hotspot data per month.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would never buy a "hot spot" that does not include input for external antenna(s). Not only will external antennas allow you to get a signal farther from the tower, but they will also improve your down load speed.

Two antennas do work better than one. Mounting them as high as possible also helps a lot.

Most confusing is choosing a data plan. So many available ! "Unlimited" is almost always limited in someway or another. Good luck.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Friends got the satellite internet last year...make sure to check as they had a data limit. I'm sure they could buy more data but it was pricey.

Really, a cell hotspot with unlimited data plan is about the best combination of lots of data at reasonable price.

We also will download youtube videos for later watching when the campground has decent wifi for use when we will be in more remote areas. Even though they throttle the data on the unlimited plans after a certain limit, they do still retain the right to cancel your service if your data usage get excessive. This helps keep it under control as video is really the biggest consumer of data by far.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Mobile data is realistically your best option at this time. I've used mobile data exclusively for internet access well over a decade. Though use a 4G LTE router, which have dedicated 4G and WiFi external antennas. It's able to pull in a stronger 4G LTE signal while also providing Ethernet option, versus a typical portable hotspot. You just provide the IMEI# for your account, and insert the SIM into the unit. It supports all four major mobile providers.

I also work remotely for now, and had a T-mobile 250G 4G LTE account which is being phased out this month. Switching over to 400G 4G AT&T mobile data account. No limit to the number of devices connected. Both less than $100. month. My backup is a Verizon Visible unlimited 4G, though using as hotspot only allows one device to be connected at a time per TOS.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a Verizon Jet Pack on their unlimited plan. The dedicated hotspot is does a much better job acquiring a signal for data throughput than using the phone. I consistently get more bars with the JetPack and then I set the phone to wifi calling.

If you camp in really rural spots where you can only get a 1x signal, then satellite would be the way to go.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would look to a source such as rvmobileinternet.com .a group that reviews sources and equipment to do what you want. In your case since you NEED data I would pay for the annual membership to get the latest on what’s available.Just know that you should have Multiple plans ,at least 2 to provide redundancy. There are resellers who you can get unlimited hotspots from but they come and go and knowing what’s the latest is important to maintain connectivity. It’s a complicated space and sites like theirs have saved me a couple times.
Forget campground WiFi it’s very unreliable and for now that leaves cellular hotspots. We have 2 but all are grandfather/ no longer available so no reason going into them.
Bill

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Some day Starlink. For now cell phone data device. Best to have one company for your partner, and a different company for yourself.

Campground connections may not be too much help.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
If you have cellphone signal
Then you could use a dedicated cellular Wi-Fi hotspot, data Only no voice service (many of us have them)
All the major carrier have them,
What is wrong with hotspot on your phone ?
Not enough data for your needs ?
Change your phone plan, or change carriers

To get the data allowance you need
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your post seems to imply you seek a source other than cell phone or WiFi. In my view that leaves only a very pricey commercial satellite system to meet your needs.....
P
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad