cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Magellan GPS says, "Stay on the current road".

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Magellan Roadmate 1475T. I like it. Does a great job for me. As an insurance adjuster I use it a lot - up to 6 times a day.

Just one problem: On freeways in busy urban areas it's constantly saying, "Stay on the current road." when passing a major intersection. "Stay on the current road in 2 miles". "Stay on the current road in 1 mile". "Stay on the current road in point 5 miles".

I hear it at least once a minute when driving the Long Island, NY freeways and parkways. Drives me crazy! A GPS should tell me when to turn, not when not to turn.

Sometimes it says, "stay on the current road" past the northbound exit, then 0.3 miles later I'm supposed to take the southbound exit with no warning.

Also, the "Turn Bar" at the top of the screen doesn't tell me when the next turn is, it tells me when the next "stay on the current road" is. I want to know how far to the next turn, not how far to the next don't turn.

I contacted Magellan support and they told me it can't be turned off.

Question: Do Garmin and/or Tom Tom do the same thing? How about newer Magellans?
14 REPLIES 14

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
teddychamp wrote:
I had the same problem with my GPS. Drove me nuts. Switched to Rand McNally Gps which does not do this and is more accurate. Gives u enough warning before each turn. Check it out on there Website. Randmcnally.com

Went to the Rand McNally website and checked out their units.

Thanks...

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
dan-nickie wrote:
My Tom Tom did similar.
I fugured out there were certain things that triggered it.
Some things like:
Crossing city limit lines.
If a fork in the highway is coming up with high count lanes spitting off.
It wasn't once a minute though, so yours sounds worse.

It does it four times for each intersection with a numbered highway. On the Southern State Expy on Long Island that's at least once a minute! ๐Ÿ˜ž

Sounds like Tom Tom would be a good choice.

Thanks...

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
Earl E wrote:
My Garmin only says to stay left or stay right at confusing lane changes or areas. But never "all the time."

Does the Garmin tell you to stay left (or right) at 2 miles, then 1 mile, then .5 miles, and finally at zero miles?

Also, does the visual turn indicator show how far it is to the next turn? Or to the next "stay left"?

Thanks...

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
have you downloaded any updates?

I have had the 1470 and now the 5265T-LMB life time maps.

the new one does not bug me like the old one did. well not as much.
I just turn off the sound.

I downloaded the latest update hoping it would shut up, but it didn't.
I've tried turning off the sound but then I've got to really pay attention to make the next turn. Remember, the turn indicator only shows the next "stay on the current road", not the next turn. Usually I open up the list of upcoming turns to see what to look for. But I shouldn't have to do that.

wildwest450
Explorer
Explorer
Turn the volume off. Haven't ever heard my gps talk because I disabled the voice.

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
My Garmin only says to stay left or stay right at confusing lane changes or areas. But never "all the time."
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
No, my Garmin does not do that. Her favorite word is 'recalculating.'
i changed mine to say "Oh Crap"..

Don't have or know anything about the Magellan but I have had previous Garmin's that had a 'less chatty' mode that would really cut back on the constant yaking.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, my Garmin does not do that. Her favorite word is 'recalculating.'
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
have you downloaded any updates?

I have had the 1470 and now the 5265T-LMB life time maps.

the new one does not bug me like the old one did. well not as much.
I just turn off the sound.

teddychamp
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with my GPS. Drove me nuts. Switched to Rand McNally Gps which does not do this and is more accurate. Gives u enough warning before each turn. Check it out on there Website. Randmcnally.com
Fleetwood Bounder 39R 330hp Cummins Turbo Diesel
Freightliner Chasis
Ford Escape Limited - on ACME Towdolly

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Like Dan-Nickie wrote something along your route is triggering the system to warn you. If the roadway is raised and there are other roads crossing beneath it, several lanes split off, a bridge, overpass or name/designation changes the system tries to keep you heading in the right direction.

My AT&T navigation app actually shows which lane(s) I should be in. Maybe your lane choice is causing the system concern for example it expects you to be in the number 1 or 2 lane and you are in the number 4 lane.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
My TomTom does that only when there is a confusing intersection ahead. I hear rarely.

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
My Tom Tom did similar.
I fugured out there were certain things that triggered it.
Some things like:
Crossing city limit lines.
If a fork in the highway is coming up with high count lanes spitting off.
It wasn't once a minute though, so yours sounds worse.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Our Garmin says "keep to the Left or right." This really means do not take ramp or stay on current road.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006