cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moving to Linux

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I've been through all the versions of Windows over the years and have currently got Win 10 up and running with only a few problems left unsolved. HOWEVER, I can see the future for Windows and I'm not impressed.

So I've decided to gradually get my feet wet with Linux with Ubuntu 16.04.1. I preciously had looked at Mint but found more step by step instructions available for the beginner for Ubuntu.

My question is: have any of you moved to Linux and regretted it? I know there is a learning curve, but on the positive side, just about all the programs I currently use in Windows are available in Linux, or there is a comparable program for free. I only have one piece of hardware, a Canon flat bed scanner, that will not work due to no Linux drivers.

I'd be interested in your comments.
12 REPLIES 12

keithhelms
Explorer
Explorer
I switched to Ubuntu back in 2008 and then moved to the Xubuntu variation in 2012 when Ubuntu changed their gui to be more tablet focused. It's funny you mentioned a Canon flatbed scanner. I had to do a little extra work to get my Canon 9000 working under Xubuntu 14.04. Under the newer 16.04 release, it just works.

I can't say I've missed Windows at all.

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:
... My question is: have any of you moved to Linux and regretted it? ...

No, I haven't moved to Linux and don't regret that decision.

About the only real use I have for Linux is that it runs better on low powered machines (like a Raspberry Pi). Since my main computers have powerful processors and plenty of RAM, I'd rather continue to use Windows.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:

My question is: have any of you moved to Linux and regretted it?

About 2006 or 2008 I made the decision to try to live with a Linux desktop. I'd been on Linux since 1996, but I'd never tried to make the desktop work.

It hasn't been easy. Like you, drivers can be an issue. I've chosen some hardware because its Linux friendly - like Brother printers for example.

I do have a dual-boot system since there are still two or three programs that just work better on Windows.

But, no, I've not regretted it.
About 6 or 7 years ago, I switched to Debian/Ubuntu. And I'm running MATE on 14.04LTS.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I am running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS for about 1.5 years on a $40 120GB SSD Easy to swap drives if I want to go back to Windows. It works well for quick starting and browsing. LibreOffice works well, except for encrypted MS Office files.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just downloaded a Linux Distro specific for my other hobby.. Now to find a computer that can run it (This one can but the number of "Hoops" I need to jump through is excessive)

There is also the "25 dollar Spare Computer" you can try, it's a USB dongle that holds a Linux Distro on it.. Plug it in wherever you wish,, Most computers will boot if told to do so off the USB port.. alas, this one won't, it insists on WINDOWS only Good old Microsoft always looking out for us ()@Q#($#!U@)@!
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I was able to get my 2009 MS OFFICE to work on the faster WIN 10 machines... Did not subscribe to any of the things they wanted me to do... Also don't mess with anything CLOUD haha... So far so good. It screams real good for me... I use Chrome and FIREFOX for browsers... My screens all look like WIN7/WIN8.1

Folks that visit always says I thought you updated to WIN 10 haha...

I syill have my EMAIL program on my older M90 Dell laptop...

The only thing I miss is my drawing programs... Havent figured out a good cheap way to establish all of my drawing files yet. I was living with ADOBE PRO 9 and a couple of on-line free drawing programs... They did not work on the WIN10 platform... They still work on my DELL M90 much slower laptop right now so not totally dead in the water... My AUTOCAD belonged to work so didn't get to keep that when I retired...

Roy Ken

Well, I gotta admit I've got Win 10 running on 3 machines and I've had a lot of little problems but nothing I could not overcome.

My interest in Linux stems from Microsoft's intrusiveness. Even though I've gone through and turned off all privacy issues, they still have too much control over my machines. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I can see this going a lot further in the future, along with forcing you to have features you do not want.

Also, there is the cost issue. I change components out frequently and now I've got Win 10 tied to one motherboard. AND, everyday a new security issue pops up. And the list goes on.

I haven't felt in control since DOS...............

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was able to get my 2009 MS OFFICE to work on the faster WIN 10 machines... Did not subscribe to any of the things they wanted me to do... Also don't mess with anything CLOUD haha... So far so good. It screams real good for me... I use Chrome and FIREFOX for browsers... My screens all look like WIN7/WIN8.1

Folks that visit always says I thought you updated to WIN 10 haha...

I syill have my EMAIL program on my older M90 Dell laptop...

The only thing I miss is my drawing programs... Havent figured out a good cheap way to establish all of my drawing files yet. I was living with ADOBE PRO 9 and a couple of on-line free drawing programs... They did not work on the WIN10 platform... They still work on my DELL M90 much slower laptop right now so not totally dead in the water... My AUTOCAD belonged to work so didn't get to keep that when I retired...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Sounds like Linux is a good fit in your case. Though likely not a good choice for those who rely heavily on mainstream Windows based applications. Hardware drivers may also be more limited?

I use my Linux box, along side both Windows and Mac pretty much every day at work. All networked together. I do have a GUI installed on my distro of Linux, though mostly default to command line as it saves multiple steps with just a line or two. Actually, my favorite Linux workflow.

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
You might try the Cinnamon desktop for Mint, it's well done and quite popular.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I think I will take another look at Mint. I have it already on a DVD that I can play around with before loading. There are so many distros out there it's hard to make a choice but Ubuntu and Mint seem to keep coming up as the two easiest for beginners.

As far as MS Office, I use it a lot but don't have any large, densely formatted files. I've been using Office Libre for while and feel like I can make it work. It will just take a little time sifting through other programs I use.

ncscz
Explorer
Explorer
I have used almost all of the Ubuntu releases since the 5.0X versions. I went away from Ubuntu around 2012 when the traditional desktop and went to the touch screen oriented display. I was working in software development at that time and was used to having multiple open applications displayed at the same time on a desktop. It was very difficult to do with Ubuntu's desktop.

The Mint releases kept a traditional desktop. Plus the release included a lot of drivers and audio and video applications that were not part of Ubuntu since they are not open source.

The Mint releases are based upon the Ubuntu so most of the help for Ubuntu works on the Mint. Both have very active and useful help forums.

Get several 2 gig USB sticks and use LiLi USB Creator to create bootable images of the Ubuntu and Mint releases. This allows you to use each for a while to see good or bad in each release. I did this on most new releases so I could decide if I wanted to upgrade before making any changes to my main computer.

The only problems I have had, was with MS Office documents. Large documents with a lot of formatting and multiple fonts can be problematic doing group edits.
CarriGo
Model 2320

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:
I've been through all the versions of Windows over the years and have currently got Win 10 up and running with only a few problems left unsolved. HOWEVER, I can see the future for Windows and I'm not impressed.

I have to agree. I was given a newer low end laptop that only has ONE memory slot ! With 8 Gb of memory, Win10 runs like a dog !

In my previous life I was the admin on a couple of different medium sized Unix/Linux servers. Not sure why I want to even bother with Win10 (I am writing this old Win7 laptop witn 8 Gb memory and a SSD. Does everything I want it to do.)

dryfly wrote:
So I've decided to gradually get my feet wet with Linux with Ubuntu 16.04.1. I preciously had looked at Mint but found more step by step instructions available for the beginner for Ubuntu.

I have played with Mint in the past and I would recommend this as a good starting point. The best part about Mint is it is setup, ready to go as soon as it is installed.

The biggest issue with any flavor of Linux is choosing your desktop. The simplest one (IMHO) to deal with is Xfce.

About the only thing I missed last time I played with Linux/Mint was a simply graphics editor, like Windows Paint. Gimp is overkill. I just want something to crop and resize images.

dryfly wrote:
I only have one piece of hardware, a Canon flat bed scanner, that will not work due to no Linux drivers.

I have successfully run several pieces of Windows software using WINE. I had an old Epson flat bed that I just threw out. New ones are not that expensive these days.