cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Navigation with Tablet

ron4adams
Explorer
Explorer
Since quite a few high quality tablets have been incorporating GPS chips in them, it has become easier to navigate without cell or internet service. It seems like Good Sam is overdue for offering a navigation app which can make use of the Good Sam trip planning software. The software is very easy to use with a low learning curve and just as accurate as Google Maps. However, once the trip is planned on the computer it would be nice to be able to navigate the trip without using the Good Sam GPS device. I have begun using my LG GPad with CoPilot App installed and it seems to work great. My particular tablet navigates routes flawlessly without a sim card installed or internet access. I just don't want to plan all of my trips on the 8 inch screen of the GPad. Maybe Good Sam is working on such an app and will be available soon. Maybe some of you can put in a word to the IT department.
21 REPLIES 21

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Before GOOGLE maps I used Microsoft S&T (Also Rand McNally Street Atlatas) with a GPS dongle.. Still have the dongle (I can see it from where I"m sitting) and the program) On the comptuer below this) Really liked it Though an internet connection is useful at time of route planning (Download construction info) it is not needed.

HOWEVER S&T is no more. several other laptop based programs are however.

With Google Maps I was worried the screen size on my phone woudl be an issue. but... Turns out that as you approach a turn the map "Zooms" in automatically and then back out (Not far enough by my standard) so it is not.

The only issue with google maps is is the battery on the phone gets low..
I will hear "In one quarter mile turn left onto Mongoila drive.. 1/2 mile AFTER I make the left turn on to Mongoila drive (Street name made up).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Johno02 wrote:
GPS chips are good to tell where you are at the time, but unless you are using a gps device or a computer of some type with internal storage, internet data service is needed to download the actual maps. GPS location coordinates are vital, but without a actual map, it does'n tell whether you are in New York or California.

Every tablet and cell phone has internal storage and almost every mapping app can save the maps, so you don't need to be online while driving.

Of course, it's advantageous to be online as many apps will show you construction, accidents and other traffic obstructions....really with modern cell plans, no reason not to either run it thru your phone or at least use the hot spot to get data to your tablet.

PS: It's not just high end tablets...pretty much every tablet you can buy today has GPS built in.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ron4adams
Explorer
Explorer
It is interesting so many travelers who depend on GPS stand-alone devices have such a hard time understanding that tablets with a GPS chip provides the same navigation facility. Of course, the maps must be downloaded while on-line, but all apps which have off-line navigation capability require the downloading of the appropriate maps just as Tom Tom or Garmin require the appropriate maps (which must be updated while on-line). So far I have traveled two pre-planed trips, one with 10 stops and the other with 5. In each case I disabled my internet feature on the tablet and navigated the routes. Voice prompts alerted me at each stop, and rerouted on several intentional driving "mistakes". The response time was as immediate or better than my Tom Tom stand-alone device. I just thought I would share my experience and have no interest in defending the capabilities of some tablets to skeptics.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
ron4adams wrote:
The software is very easy to use with a low learning curve and just as accurate as Google Maps.
A low bar to be sure...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Johno02 wrote:
GPS chips are good to tell where you are at the time, but unless you are using a gps device or a computer of some type with internal storage, internet data service is needed to download the actual maps. GPS location coordinates are vital, but without a actual map, it does'n tell whether you are in New York or California.

I would assume that everyone knows this but I could be wrong. Even Google Maps does not need an internet connection while driving but you must be able to download the trip first to use the routing option.
It's better to have internet access available (even sporadically) with Google Maps as you will be updated about the traffic (or lack thereof) ahead and what possible alternate routes are available.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my Droid I an download quite a bit of the area. Likely more than I will need. and store it.. That way if I loose service I still have maps. And once a map and route are "loaded" I only need to make occasional contact with a tower to update the map as I go.

But I have a "offline" backup if needed.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.