Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Mac Studio with M1 Max Ultra CPU !

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer

NEW Mac Studio & Apple Event Reactions! video

I guess the could have called it the Mac Mini Pro since it's the same size as the M1 Mac Mini only taller.
11 REPLIES 11

Was that record top speed from the race or from the Mac Studio? :B

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer

Watching one of my youtube videos of a 339.28mph record top speed run at the Apple Store yesterday on the new Mac Studio setup.
video

cathanas
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been using my new MacBook for about 2 weeks. M1 Max, 64GB ram and 2TB NVMExpress. The speed is unreal and the battery life is stellar. I think I have charged it twice since I took it out of the box.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Testing out the brand new Mac Studio and Studio display!

video

Fastest desktop I ever seen.

Discovered three Mac Pro (Late 2013) 8-core Xenon cans in my office that were dropped off for IT to surplus. They hadn't been used for years, replaced with iMac Pros. Pulled one can aside today, cleaned it out and did a fresh install of 'Big Sur', though does support the most recent version 'Monterey' as previously noted.

Was surprised that these Mac Pros 2013 are still as fast as my office Dell Xenon Workstation, and supports 3-5K displays. Though my Dell has faster M.2 SSD and more powerful nVidia GeForce GTX card I added. So has some advantages in media rendering speeds. But the Mac Pros 2013 are still highly usable and wondering if I should have a conversation with our property manager whether we should hold onto these. Not just dispose them.

In any case, keeping at least one can as another development box. Bonus, you don't need a separate desk heater in the winter months.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
I use my Mac Pro 99% of the time and only use my M1 Mac Mini to print stuff since it's connected to a wide format Canon photo printer but I could use the Mac Pro with it since it is shared on the home network. I also use the M1 Mac Mini to work with my 4K h.265 AVHC video files since it is much faster than the Mac Pro.

Here is a cool Mac Pro video when shown at the 2013 WWDC : Apple WWDC 2013 Keynote - Mac Pro

Y-Guy
8.1 Van how does the M1 compare to your Pro? I'm running the latest software too but it's getting to be a pain so I'd like to move away from my cheese grater Mac but I still love all of the internal storage and how it keeps my office warm in winter ๐Ÿ˜‰

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The real question is, how quickly are third party software companies moving to ARM !

The M1 Max Ultra looked really interesting. I'm sure our design studio at work would be interested as they do a lot of 3D visualization work. And the cost is close to what they were spending for MacPro and iMacPro. Assuming their software is written for Apple silicon to really take advantage of the power.

What interested me was 64G+ dedicated GPU memory which would go a long way for complex Adobe real-time previews.

The one aspect I do not like about M1 is you can't add memory as its integrated in the silicon.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
I have both the M1 Mac Mini and Mac Pro 6,1 and don't think I need to upgrade at this time.

Y-Guy
I'm still running my old Mac Pro 5,1 from 2010 - love it but I'm looking at the Mac Studio, figure I'll let it get out in the wild and read some real life experiences. I don't need the high end version but from what I understand I'm not thrill with the non-upgradeability of the Studio when it comes to RAM or SSD, but with a base RAM of 32GB that should be enough for me. I'll wait and look for a refurb unit though.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon