cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Opera Browser

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process of trying out this browser and so far I like it. It features a setting called Opera Turbo, which is useful on a slow Internet connection, which sometimes affects me.

My question is: how do you import bookmarks from another browser?
I see no instruction in the help menu on how to do this.

If you're an Opera user, can you help? Thanks.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
13 REPLIES 13

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
I used to use Opera a lot many years ago. Back when it was faster and generally better than Firefox and IE was still a disaster.

But I think today there are better choices. Firefox has come a long way and will work seamlessly with 99.99% of all sites out there. However after trying out the New Edge browser that came with Win10 I have to say I was very impressed.

In back to back speed tests Edge loaded every page I went to faster and more completely, even those loaded down with cr@p like Microsoft, CNN etc.

One problem I continually had with Opera was it's inability to work seamlessly with many Financial/Bank Sites. This may well have been corrected. This even though I had it set to mimic IE.

I liked Opera for it's clean GUI and other features but I still think it's a definite third place browser now.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
This just got me to thinking....I've been using Opera since sometime in the mid '90s. Back in the steam age LOL.
-jbh-

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
horton333 wrote:
rwbradley wrote:

Opera also has the advantage of a free built in VPN which will help protect you when using public hotspots like campground WIFI.

My understanding is that it is not a true VPN, just helps protect the broswer itself. That is better than nothing, but still be cautious on unknown hotspots.

You are right, I did not want to bore people with details, nothing will beat a point to point IPSEC VPN for security. But when it comes to hackers or people spying, you do not need to out smart them, just not be the lowest hanging fruit and this VPN is just plain simple and free, complexity and price is usually what keeps most away from using VPN's in the first place.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
That I think is something else, where it can compress video data and other stuff.
I believe the browser has VPN type protection, but your email and stuff ...... I'm not an expert on this though....

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
horton333 wrote:
rwbradley wrote:

Opera also has the advantage of a free built in VPN which will help protect you when using public hotspots like campground WIFI.

My understanding is that it is not a true VPN, just helps protect the broswer itself. That is better than nothing, but still be cautious on unknown hotspots.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Remember, I'm trying the newest version. There may have been some improvements over the previous version. I've been using Chrome for years, which I also like but, experimenter that I am, I decided to try it out. I also performed another test. Using task manager, I decided to compare resource usage between the two. I'm finding that Opera uses substantially less resources than Chrome, even though Chrome hasn't caused any issues with me in the past. I guess I could say, "Thumbs up for both browsers." But I can easily foresee using Opera as my main browser. :C

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
rwbradley wrote:

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
In the very top left corner click MENU

Goto 'Settings' - 'Browser' then half way down the page under 'Default Browser' download your bookmarks.

Got it. Thanks.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
From the top left O Menu, > More Tools > Import Bookmarks and Settings.
-jbh-

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
"dumbed down" Chrome? Not even close. Opera is vastly more configurable than Chrome, including the ability to configure all the keyboard shortcuts. It's really an extended Chrome. The older versions had a much better MDI UI, but that went away when they changed to Webkit.

I just installed Vivaldi, another extended Chromium based browser, which looks good so far.

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
scrubjaysnest wrote:
I tried Opera, didn't like it. The version I tried was a dumbed down version of Google Chrome.

Opera is based on the Chrome engine, so the actual compatibility with sites and overall performance should be similar. The primary difference is a different paint job.

Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
In the very top left corner click MENU

Goto 'Settings' - 'Browser' then half way down the page under 'Default Browser' download your bookmarks.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
I tried Opera, didn't like it. The version I tried was a dumbed down version of Google Chrome.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin