cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nexus 10 or I Pad 10?

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the market. Seems some of the gurus around here are going to the Nexus. Sure there are other opinions. Lets hear 'em. I will add I am, for no particular reason, not a big Apple fan, but can be swayed.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS
17 REPLIES 17

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
Well Bill, you have run into what I have run into with my Ipad. Probably because the claim they have millions? of apps, finding the right one takes a lot of time and intricate search words.
Finding one that works 'just like on a PC' is next to impossible. They are almost always a subset at best.
Apps never have enough detail to say what and how they really work. User comments are 'works great' and then you have to go through how many to find something in detail.
So buy a tablet and use it for what it is good for, not what you would like it to do. Keep the computer for what it can do for you.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you already have an Android or iOS device? Stay with the system you have.

Do you have both? You should be able to figure out why you would prefer one or the other in a different screen size.

No tablets, no smart phones at all? Your choices go beyond iPad and Nexus, because if you use Windows computers you might want to consider a Windows tablet. Those are back, and Microsoft is selling one themselves thos time, on the premise that previous market failures were because no vendor did it right.

I chose iOS because it is a closed system. Many people hate it for that reason, but thirty years computing, software development experience in closed (IBM, DEC, Apple) and open (UNIX, DOS) systems taught me to choose open systems when I want to play around, closed systems when reliabilty and stability matter.

What matters to you? Freedom or trouble free?
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, that was a short lived experiment! I returned the Nexus today and I am once again without tablet. Despite "apps" that claimed they made things like presentations (Power Point or slide organizers) work just the same as the do on a PC, I had no luck at all with any of them including a paid version.
So, I guess I just hang in there with my Win8 laptop or wait for the prices on a Win8 (possibly RT) tablet to come down to Earth.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I like both. I prefer the Nexus because it is not incredibly locked down like Apple's iPad. However, almost everything supports Apple's offerings.

It is like Ford or Chevy. Right now, Apple is going to have its big announcements tomorrow, so Apple is in the news. Give it 3-4 months, and Android advances will be front page stories.

pronstar
Explorer
Explorer
I'm all-in for Apple products, have drank the Kool-Aid for over a decade and it just works for me...plus I have a Mac for work.

But really, I think it comes down to which OS you're most comfortable with, and which has the best form-factor and features for you.

If you aren't an Apple fan, then I can't see any compelling reason for you to become one.
'07 Ram 5.9 QC/LB SRW
Full Carli Suspension
35" Toyo's | 4.56 | PacBrake

2009 Cyclone 3950 | B&W Turnover Ball & Companion | TrailAire | Duravis R250s

JaBob
Explorer
Explorer
Consumer Reports in the recent edition rates them.
Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The current inventory is ALWAYS about to be replaced by "something coming soon". This sale was not universal so I am not terribly concerned, especially since it has the latest Android firmware.
It just happened to be a great price compared to other sources including the sister Wal-Mart stores.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Writing this on my new Galaxy III. Thanks!

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
New Nexus 10 rumored to be coming soon. Current edition usually goes on sale just before the new one arrives. Samsung just announced the Note 10.1. The big note specs look awesome.

Current Nexus 10 screen is nice. Nexus devices also support OTG - on the go cord. Allows quick connect of a memory stick for moving large amounts of data. I have the new Nexus 7. It has wireless Qi charging built in. Very convenient. I use the same wireless charger from my Galaxy S3.

The ipad has the most optimized apps. I dislike ITunes.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Found a Nexus 10 on sale at Sam's Club today so I am now a proud papa of a brand new bouncing baby laptop (tablet). No Samsung bloatware and the latest Android firmware (4.3) were the final decision makers. It also appears that the Nexus units will get Google updates as they are available while others like Samsung "may" get stuck with the originally installed versions.

troll3193
Explorer
Explorer
It really is less about the device and more about who you want to buy your media and apps from.

Bryan
2006 RAM 3500 MegaCab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel
Mopar Exhaust Brake
2004 Dutchemen 31BK

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just spent about an hour at Best Buy yesterday. They had Samsung reps on site who could answer very detailed questions about the various products. Since I have a Galaxy phone it seems to make sense to buy a Galaxy or Nexus (some version of Google anyway) but I also have a Win8 laptop so I was considering replacing that with a tablet, dock and bluetooth keyboard. The Win8 stuff is just so expensive by comparison and I seem to be finding via replacements for the Win8 thing I am now using (printer software, e-mail, browsing, etc.) but I just can't seem to pull the trigger on either one.

Sea_scape
Explorer
Explorer
If you already own an android phone, or an iPhone, go with the make of what you have.

If neither, think about the phone also. All my Android apps can be installed on the Nexus 7 and my phone with out repurchased.

If you are thinking that you will use the Nexus or I pad as an e-reader, spend the hundred dollars and by a proper e-reader with eink. The color screen, glare, and poor resolution in daylight make a color tablet a poor reading device. I get eye strain quickly while reading on my tablet, so also bought a paper white.

Edited to correct stupid spell check

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Uh, oh! Now you've done it!:S

Yeah I done it up good. Actually it was suppose to be an I Pad vs. a Galaxy! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ :o. Been looking at so many I am thoroughly confused! :?

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS