Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Odd CG map

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Mecca beach

State of CA has 'upgraded' their Salton Sea campground maps. Take a peek at the above url of Mecca Beach and see if it looks odd to you.

On my computer the campsites don't follow the road. I've tried 2 different browsers, same result.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman
12 REPLIES 12

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I spoke with a couple park employees who brought me my reservation receipt...after considerable confusion about it.

I asked them if they'd seen the latest reservation website map. No, neither had. I described how messed up it was, that the sites were so far off they didn't even follow the road. One employee just laughed, the other said "We don't have any control over that." Uh huh, well, I would have at least expected "Oh no.. I'll have a look at that, I had no idea." Or " That's not good, I'll mention that to my boss." Nope. They just didn't care.

This is YOUR campground, you (somebody) presumably PAID for this, and you really don't give a darn that it's messed up? I've worked in government all my life, and seen my share of uncaring incompetence, but this is ridiculous. I would hope some complaining from the park management would carry SOME weight as to getting these glaring errors fixed.

I just don't get it.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
That's odd. When I looked there a week ago, the Salton Sea New Camp map looked OK. It sure doesn't now!
The maps have been fine for years. These must be recent "upgrades", complete with grammatical errors too. People actually get paid to be this incompetent.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
That's odd. When I looked there a week ago, the Salton Sea New Camp map looked OK. It sure doesn't now!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Doing the best they can. Sad.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
StarkNaked wrote:
Looks like they are using the same map designer as Recreation.gov.!
Yes, apparently they are. Devil's Canyon CG in Utah has the reservable numbered sites on the opposite side of the road from where they really are. I've mentioned this to Rec gov and the CG host a couple times over a period of two years, and nothing has changed. If you want the correct sites you have to dig up a picture of the sites from the campground reader board.

I don't get it. Nobody cares these maps are totally wrong?
Nope, they're still getting paid, apparently there's NO oversite on these contracts.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Oh well. We are trying! lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
StarkNaked wrote:
Looks like they are using the same map designer as Recreation.gov.!
Yes, apparently they are. Devil's Canyon CG in Utah has the reservable numbered sites on the opposite side of the road from where they really are. I've mentioned this to Rec gov and the CG host a couple times over a period of two years, and nothing has changed. If you want the correct sites you have to dig up a picture of the sites from the campground reader board.

I don't get it. Nobody cares these maps are totally wrong?

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
The REALLY sad part is that SOMEBODY in charge had to proof the map, and give the thumbs-up for publication. Hmmmm?
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
StarkNaked wrote:
Looks like they are using the same map designer as Recreation.gov.

And that is not a compliment!
That's exactly what I was thinking, one of the first things I noticed when the new contractor took over Rec.gov, that and a CG we've been going to for several years, was suddenly numbered backwards, and all the site photos disappeared.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Lowest bidder, guys, lowest bidder.

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like they are using the same map designer as Recreation.gov.

And that is not a compliment!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I got the same results as you. The sites don't line up with the roads.