cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Older Laptop More RAM

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Online where is a preferred site to get more RAM for an eight year old laptop that has very little RAM? It's not an Apple - merely a standard.
15 REPLIES 15

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW wrote:
... I beg to differ. If said PC has 2Gigs of RAM and you increase it to even 3Gigs it will perform much faster. 4Gigs will be even better. I agree that the older memory may be prohibitively more expensive now. We've gotten extra years of service from 1000s of PCs just by bumping the RAM.

As I said, it depends. IF the mix of applications the user has running on the PC causes it to exhaust all physical RAM on a frequent basis, then yes, more RAM will help. If not, then more RAM won't help at all.

2GB is pretty low though so it is easy to exhaust all the the physical RAM.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
What OS is your PC running? If it is that old it may be XP. Microsoft is no longer sending security updates for XP. If this is case the PC is more vulnerable to virus/malware attacks.

As others have said a PC this old may be using DDR2 memory. This type of memory is pretty expensive.

It may be time to get a new PC since upgrading the OS and DDR2 memory aren't cheap.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on your usage, of course, but for mine (mostly web surfing) the difference between 2 gigs and more than 2 is enormous.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
strollin wrote:
ReadyToGo wrote:
Everyone has told you where to get more ram so I wont.
You dont say why you think or know why you need more ram, but it prabably wont solve yyour unknown problem.
If it is for a slow computer which is the usual complaint, it wont help in the least. Old processors donot get faster with more memory.

This is 100% correct. Adding more RAM doesn't magically improve performance of a PC. If you are experiencing times when your computer slows to a crawl with lots of disk activity, that may indicate you need more RAM because the system may be swapping parts of RAM out to disk and back because you don't have enough physical RAM.

Additional RAM will help if you tend to have lots of programs running on your PC at the same time, "multi-tasking".

One other comment. If this computer is old enough, it may be using DDR2 RAM instead of the newer DDR3. DDR2 RAM is significantly more expensive than DDR3 which you should take into consideration because the RAM may cost more than the small potential performance increase is worth.

I beg to differ. If said PC has 2Gigs of RAM and you increase it to even 3Gigs it will perform much faster. 4Gigs will be even better. I agree that the older memory may be prohibitively more expensive now. We've gotten extra years of service from 1000s of PCs just by bumping the RAM.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
ReadyToGo wrote:
You dont say why you think or know why you need more ram, but it prabably wont solve yyour unknown problem.
If it is for a slow computer which is the usual complaint, it wont help in the least. Old processors donot get faster with more memory.

This is 100% correct. Adding more RAM doesn't magically improve performance of a PC. If you are experiencing times when your computer slows to a crawl with lots of disk activity, that may indicate you need more RAM because the system may be swapping parts of RAM out to disk and back because you don't have enough physical RAM.

Additional RAM will help if you tend to have lots of programs running on your PC at the same time, "multi-tasking".

One other comment. If this computer is old enough, it may be using DDR2 RAM instead of the newer DDR3. DDR2 RAM is significantly more expensive than DDR3 which you should take into consideration because the RAM may cost more than the small potential performance increase is worth.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the memory specs for the laptop, find out which modules are used, what can be used. My eight year old Sony laptop maxed out a 1 GB, came with 512 MB, two slots, both always used. Adding memory is not typically a laptop option, rather it is replacing with larger modules.

Having researched it, I would then check whether NewEgg still has the needed memory modules available.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

My usual method is to first use the online memory tool from a trusted manufacturer such as Crucial, to find the specific memory modules and capacities supported by your laptop Bios. Then, do a search for best price.

I would also search user reviews of the memory modules you are considering to make sure there is no specific compatibility issues with your laptop.

On a side note, for older PC/MAC hardware, I've bought them on Ebay for best price. However, in my personal experience, around 50% of the memory modules I've bought used in this manner, are either incorrectly listed, usually wrong memory capacity, or were defective on testing. In which case, the sellers have always refunded my purchases and told me to keep the modules if they work. Recycle if not.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Online where is a preferred site to get more RAM for an eight year old laptop that has very little RAM? It's not an Apple - merely a standard.

crucial.com

(Just purchased from them, Got the survey today "Would you recommend" guess this answers that question) ๐Ÿ™‚

X2

X3
I've used crucial.com for years and years. We use them at the enterprise level also. Their memory has been very reliable.

Like other vendors, they have a tool that will evaluate your computer and make recommendations for memory upgrades. Also like already pointed out, you don't need more than 4G if you're using a 32 bit OS. It's probably enough for 64 bit too under normal run of the mill daily computer needs (email, surfing, movies).
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't forget that most laptops use system RAM for video purposes, so you may be able to use more than 4 gig, but the OS won't be able to use that much by itself. Some will allow you to increase the amount of system RAM that is used for the onboard video, and some won't.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
I buy almost all my computer supplies from Newegg. If it's running 32 bit OS then anything more than 4 gig for the OS is unable to be accessed.

32 bit OS will only "see" and "use" 3.2 gig of 4 gig ram, so there will be .8 gig of Ram unusable by the PC.

OP needs to first research the laptop specs to find out exactly the type of Ram AND the max Ram the system board can accept.

Many older laptops may max out at 2 gig or have no Ram slots..

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

crucial.com

(Just purchased from them, Got the survey today "Would you recommend" guess this answers that question) ๐Ÿ™‚

X2
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

crucial.com

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I love Newegg. Use their memory finder tool to see how much and what kind of memory for your laptop. You can then take that info and comparative shop.

Memory Finder Tool

Also, you can try site like Kingston, and use their tool. Most RAM companies have a tool you can use.

Kingston Memory Finder
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized