cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

[OP Update] Windows 8.1 compared to Win7 - user experience

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
I don't normally ask technology questions on here, but the good cross section of folks probably has some good insights...

My Mom is 82 years young and her computer just died. Over the years she has gone from Vista to XP to Win7. Most new computers come with Windows 8.1 and 10 will be out later this year.

Thing is, the last couple of years she has gotten increasingly less interested in learning new things. I tend to be her "tech support" remotely and also have Win7 with no plans to upgrade.

Question is, other than the Desktop layout on Windows 8, is there really that much difference once you start running familiar apps? She mainly uses Thunderbird for email, Internet Explorer, and a little Office 2010 here and there.

Wondering if we should let her give a go on Windows 8.1, or to downgrade the new system to Win7 before installing/configuring all her apps.

An OP update is available below

See my update below...

Yet another update below...
Roaming Full Timer
60 REPLIES 60

RTompkins3
Explorer
Explorer
Windows 8 = Vista 2!
Ralph (W1KDK) and Cathy
2015 LifeStyle LS38RS 5th Wheel
HMC USN(Ret)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I have no problem with 8, it seems a little faster than 7. It's easy to use once you find your way around. I mostly ignore the tiles and use the desktop. Biggest improvement: search actually works, and instantly finds whatever you type in to the box. No need for the start button--put the cursor in the bottom left corner and right click for a menu of commonly used functions. I have a folder full of shortcuts to frequently used programs, and a few things pinned to the taskbar.

I hated it for the first couple of days, but once I found everything, it was all good.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

tessa25
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a computer with windows 8.1 and was easily able to make it look/act like windows 7. And I purchased a pay only once version of Microsoft office. So my new computer now behaves the old way. I use my computer for work and the new way doesn't cut it.

Hint: when you get the new computer and you see those large tiles, just swipe up and you'll see all of your programs.
Click 'desktop' to get you to the old style desktop.

Google for how to have the windows button on the desktop bring up the start menu. I think that came from youtube.
Google for how to boot to the desktop instead of those tiles. If you ever end up at the tiles just click 'desktop' or swipe up for the list of programs. Desktop is on that list.
Palomino Gazelle G150

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
The decision is pretty simple. I have Win 8.1 one and love it. I also have Win 7 and have no issues with it. If I had and 82 year old parent who was using a computer, I would keep them in what they are familiar with. They have seen enough major changes in life and it is not necessary to make them adapt to the latest and greatest. Put them back in Win 7 where they are comfortable.

OldFogie
Explorer
Explorer
I have Win7 on one laptop and Win8.1 on another and don't have a problem on either. My MIL got a laptop with Win8.1 on it a year ago and has been able to use it as well as she did her desktop with WinXP.

Hardest part I had helping MIL was explaining how to change batteries in her wireless mouse though convincing her that she didn't have to have it plugged in all the time was difficult.

Now her use of Facebook is a real trip...every time she gets on it is like it is the first time she has seen it.
2007 Bounder 35E
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1999 Jeep Wrangler

MrWizard
SCR wrote:
e-light wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
I put "classic shell" on my Windows 8, laptop but would rather have Windows 7

This...throw classic shell on it and its not that much different. The whole tile system was a bad decision for desktops/laptops. It's an interface that is designed for touch input devices, like tablets and phones.

To each there own, I for one am not a poke and swipe type. I guess it's because I've always had desktops and use a mouse and keyboard.

thats why i use.. classic shell.. it gives you back the desktop look and feel
no need to poke and swipe apps with a mouse..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I like Win 7. When my DD got a laptop with Win 8.1, I quickly change the her desktop interface to look like Win7. I use a mouse and keyboard like Win7. No problem.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Running it now on a Surface. Like it and my daughter loves it. Maybe people are to old to adapt? Certainly works great with touch!
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
My goodness, people sure hate change don't they. You must all be driving your Nash's still. Heaven forbid you buy a car with any technology and that new fangled blue tooth connectivity!

You can boot 81. directly to the desktop. Put icons on the desktop for the things shes uses. All the applications she's used to will look and function the same.

And the start menu is not any different than before, it just uses big tiles now. Which can be easily dragged around to make them more useable for an individual.

If you really like Win 7and just can't give it up, wait for 10. It's bringing back the start menu.
As someone who used to manage a large computer network I don't appreciate being accused of being in the dark ages. The "OLD" car I drive has Bluetooth, among other features.
As for change, I have worked with DOS, the original Windows, Win 3.1, Win 2000, Win NT, Win 95, Win 98, Win XP. These were all incremental improvements from a user (if not necessarily a technical) perspective.
I have been using Win 7 for a few years and looked forward to implementing Win 8.
For the first time in 30 years I DO NOT see it as an improvement!

Perhaps there's a good reason Microsoft is bringing back the Start menu with Win 10. I await with interest.

FWIW, Tigerdirect is offering Lenovo laptops preloaded with Win 8 with the OPTION of replacing it with Win 7. Do you think they would do that if the demand was not there?
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

SCR
Explorer
Explorer
e-light wrote:
MrWizard wrote:

This...throw classic shell on it and its not that much different. The whole tile system was a bad decision for desktops/laptops. It's an interface that is designed for touch input devices, like tablets and phones.

To each there own, I for one am not a poke and swipe type. I guess it's because I've always had desktops and use a mouse and keyboard.

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
Romer1 wrote:
Really don't understand why everyone hates Win 8.1. Upgraded 15 mostly computer illiterate users from Win 7 Pro to Win 8.1 and they never noticed the difference Retained their own personalized desktop, same icons, same start screen. Only difference was a little more stable than Win 7.They also got new 23" Lenovo all-in one pc's

Yes, I have read some websites that say there are ways to make it behave much like Win7 from a usability standpoint. She misses her computer enough that she is willing to give it a try. Then in the fall we can upgrade to 10 I guess.
Roaming Full Timer

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:

That's what I did for DWs laptop.

Looks and acts just like W 8.

I think 8 is faster than 7.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
Really don't understand why everyone hates Win 8.1. Upgraded 15 mostly computer illiterate users from Win 7 Pro to Win 8.1 and they never noticed the difference Retained their own personalized desktop, same icons, same start screen. Only difference was a little more stable than Win 7.They also got new 23" Lenovo all-in one pc's
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

MrWizard
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s