cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinions on Dish Tailgater?

tlemon
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had experience with Dish tailgater and would you recommend it? If not what is another option?
25 REPLIES 25

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Poppy's 5th Wheel wrote:
Arcamper wrote:

We have the tailgater with a 211k receiver that works well if you have a clear path to the south. Just bought a Wally but have not hooked it up yet in place of the 211k to get the RF remote. I have talked to several people who have the Pathway X2 and they like it better but I hate to spend another $400 for another dish when ours works ok.

What is a "Wally"?

We have the Pathway X2 and it works well. We also have the 211Z receiver and I'm not so crazy about that. 10 year old technology. I added an external HD so we could record programming but you can't watch something and record something else. Almost a "what's the point" issue for me but we got into the habit of reviewing overnight programming or daytime programming and set some things (1 show at a time) to record. Why they can't offer a real modern DVR I certainly don't know.

The Wally is their newest receiver that is suppose to replace the 211k and z at some point according to Dish. Look on the Dish website and you can learn all about it.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

PatnRich
Explorer
Explorer
After 5 years of poor Florida Comcast standard def tv, we tried the Tailgater. Very pleased, easy to set up, easy to activate account.

No more waiting in line for two hours to return Comcast box at the end of the season.
2010 Montana 3400RL, 2011 Ford F350,CC,SB,16K Pullrite SuperGlide

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
I am going with a Winegard Pathway X2. It has a bigger dish and works better in the rain, it gets DISH eastern AND western arc so better chances of getting a signal and it supports two boxes.

We've been using the Pathway X2 for a year now (full-timers) and are very happy with it. We have HD on all channels and a hard drive connected to the 211Z receiver to record programs when we're not at home. The only times we've had to do without TV was when we were in "tropical rain forest" conditions with a tree canopy so thick and complete that there was no way to get a signal.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have had a Tailgater for about three years, and am very happy with it. Great signal only issue clear view of the southern sky, as will all dish systems. I truly love the trees of the PNW, except when they block my Dish!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
Arcamper wrote:

We have the tailgater with a 211k receiver that works well if you have a clear path to the south. Just bought a Wally but have not hooked it up yet in place of the 211k to get the RF remote. I have talked to several people who have the Pathway X2 and they like it better but I hate to spend another $400 for another dish when ours works ok.

What is a "Wally"?

We have the Pathway X2 and it works well. We also have the 211Z receiver and I'm not so crazy about that. 10 year old technology. I added an external HD so we could record programming but you can't watch something and record something else. Almost a "what's the point" issue for me but we got into the habit of reviewing overnight programming or daytime programming and set some things (1 show at a time) to record. Why they can't offer a real modern DVR I certainly don't know.
Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2016 GMC Summit White Denali 3500HD SRW CC/SB
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Have had a Tailgater and vip211k for over three years and very happy with it. Occasionally takes 2-3 reboots to find all the sats. But has never failed so far.

Have had almost no problem with Dish changing our locals.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We've had the Tailgator for 2 1/2 years works fine our problem has been the Dish customer service when changing location and receiving local channels takes at least 2 calls to get them.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I am going with a Winegard Pathway X2. It has a bigger dish and works better in the rain, it gets DISH eastern AND western arc so better chances of getting a signal and it supports two boxes.

2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor has one and swears about it. Another guy too.
I'm thinking about it myself.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
Have the new model and used it for a couple of months last year. Works well when there's a way to get even a partial view to the south. I chose to not permanently mount it as every CG and camp site is different, and sometimes I'll put it on the roof, sometimes out a way from the trailer, etc., etc. Even if it only gets one or two satellites, there's still a lot of channels to choose from.

We went to Canada this year, so I didn't activate the account. Next year we'll be using it for at least three months though.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.