cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinions on Kaspersky AV

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
I've been browsing the posts and see a lot of names I'm not familiar with. I'm also not even close to being a tech person. I've been relying on the Geek's for years. I currently have Kaspersky AV on my computer... I pay for it annually.

Recently I spent a few hours on the phone with the Geeks who cleaned up my computer and removed a "start up" virus.

I'm thinking I should get more informed about how to deal with my pc and clean it up myself. Also... Kaspersky did NOT pick up on the start up virus. So I'm a bit disappointed in that.

Suggestions? I have a 2008 HP Pavillion pc and Vista Home Premium, IE9.

cts
16 REPLIES 16

fugawibill
Explorer
Explorer
I second Avast. As a former tech, I recommend visiting dotTech

1SG
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently using Kaspersky and it allowed malware to infect my computer. Tried several free malware removers with not much success. Finally used Webroot SecureAnywhere and it removed the infections and working in conjunction with Kaspersky my computer has been free of virus' and malware.

Paul
Paul & Sandy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
'56 Ford Customline Victoria
'62 Chevy Impala SS 409/4spd
U.S. Army Retired
Cloverdale, OR

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
No virus program I know of can protect against the first wave of infections. Virus co's may find it own their own or it may be reported by infected users. Then and only then can they develop a block and then they must get it out to all paid subscribers and then subscriber must go online to get updates. Depending on popularity of the infection source a lot of computers can become infected before update arrives. In other words - if you are one of the first - no virus program can help. True they might stop basic techniques but serious threats seldom follow old ways. As with many things in life - you get the quality you pay for.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a Gateway years ago that came with Norton. It was a pain and as others have said impossible to completely remove from the computer. Had McAfee on a succession of computer. It was provided by my employer since I had remote access to their network. It required to many resources and really didn't run in the background. After I retired, I continued a subscription since it was easy. Did get hit with a couple of virus. We bought a new computer last year for the with and bought a three computer subscription for Kaspersky. It truly runs in the background and you only know it is there when you need it. I just renewed for next year.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best anti-virus software I have found is available for free. It is Avast and the free version is excellent at blocking not only viruses but browser malware. I have had zero interference with my normal applications which cannot be said with any of the 3 paid anti-virus software applications I have used over the past several years.

Use the Window firewall, Avast anti-virus, and a good malware removal tool and you are covered. Or you could buy an Apple computer and not bother.

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice. I switched to paid Kaspersky several years ago after having a very nasty computer virus...literally having to pull the plug out of the wall because popups were coming at blinding speeds! Took the geeks quite awhile to clean it all up.

Haven't had a virus issue for years untill this start up virus happened. It caused the system to freeze, slow down and I couldn't get it to reboot for awhile. It slipped past Kaspersky.

It appears that nothing is truly safe. I don't click on ads or attachments unless I specifically asked for them. No E cards...nothing. And still...

The geek did not have a name for the start up virus, but what it did was disable the "quick start" function and mess with performance.

Has anyone had that recently?

cts

Wayne_Dohnal
Explorer
Explorer
The best antivirus protection IMO is to make sure you're not running in Administrator mode.
2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Pc Mag rates internet security software.

See HERE

and HERE

I have used Kapersky for about three years with no problems so far.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
An organization and myself have used AVG & Avast and both allowed viruses to quickly get through. All computers had to be wiped cleaned and everything reinstalled. We both had done some backups, but not everything. UGH. The organization is using Kaspersky for about a year and I have been using ESET NOD32 for about 6 years with no problems to date. Both have multiple subscriptions and are updated several times a day.

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
Have been "K" fan for a number of years - at home and work. Keep updates current and if you do happen to get something - let them know. If you want to change look into "ESET NOD32 Antivirus Software". In my book "K" and "ESET" are consistently the best.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
I second the "do not get Norton". It is bloated with unnecessary software. I have used AVG free for over 10 years and have never had a problem with virus. I also use Malwarebytes to rid my machines of malware, which is different from virus. My workplace uses Kaspersky and have no problems.
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Kaspersky for years. About every two year I will get a virus that I have to take to a shop and get removed. I would not get Norton. Had it once and could not get it removed. Once you have Norton you will always have Norton on that computer. You can delete most of it but not all.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check with your internet service provider. I have Comcast and they offer Norton AV for free to subscribers.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

BigD629
Explorer
Explorer
I've used it for years, with no issues. I like that it runs in the background with little to no input and doesn't slow down my system like a lot of them do.
My daughter was using Trend Micro AV, and was infected by a very malicious Trojan virus. I had to do a complete wipe and clean install to remove it! She now uses Kaspersky AV.
2005 Foretravel U270,36', 400HP Cummins ISL
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Polaris Turbo