cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Password Manager Question

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, all. I use so many passwords I thought I'd like to try a password manager. I have interest in Last Pass password manager.I'm a little nervous about my passwords floating around in the cloud. So my question is, "How secure are these PW managing programs?" Are you now using one? Thank you.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
41 REPLIES 41

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Duck wrote:
Probably not the best thing to do but I have my password list on the Word Program on my computer. It is a stand alone program and not opened on the internet. For all the forums I visit I use the same password. I print out the list and keep it next to computer. Bad idea?
Don
Probably not the best idea, but let's face it, the chances that someone will crack your computer and steal that particular file are pretty slim. Not impossible, but pretty slim.

And also using the same password for different sites is a bad idea. It's hard to remember all those passwords which why lots of us use a password manager. You can't control all the security spots, but you should try to control the ones to which you have access.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
bcsdguy wrote:
I would not trust the "cloud" to keep my passwords. I do keep them on a secure flash drive that has its own password which, if you forget it, will destroy all data on it after 3 tries. I would rather take my chance with it than any "cloud".JMHO

2X - I store my passwords in an Excel spread sheet with its own password. That way I can control my passwords.

Now for my question. I also allow firefox to store my passwords. How safe is firefox?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
KeePass: Free and not in the cloud. Works extremely well.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Both in the cloud and on your machine the files are encrypted, Of course there is no encryption that can not be broken by enough effort, but there are some very good schemes that will take rather a lot of effort.

That said: I can not rank them.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Probably not the best thing to do but I have my password list on the Word Program on my computer. It is a stand alone program and not opened on the internet. For all the forums I visit I use the same password. I print out the list and keep it next to computer. Bad idea?
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Lastpass.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I use Online Crypto. It sounds very similar to the other ones.

cacherjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Lastpass

Been using it for years. Love it!

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:

I do not put any ultra sensitive info in the Password file like bank account access.....keep that in my head only.

So, you really don't trust it 100%
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
I use Roboform and sync them to the cloud. 256 bit AES encryption so even if you had my files good luck ever getting anything useful out of them. Much easier targets out there since so many people use simple passwords.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
Happytraveler wrote:
I use 1Password So far very happy with it.

Ditto! Used it for years. Founder of the company is very upfront about keeping your passwords YOUR passwords. Syncs across all of my devices if I want it to either via WiFi or Cloud, my choice. It's not the cheapest one out there, but I know I'm supporting a good business that is based in the US.

X3 Here. Easy to use.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom_M wrote:
I use KeePass. It's free and you can download it here: KeePass

It has worked well for me.

The best there is. I keep all of them on a flash drive using KeyPass and then have them always with me and not left anywhere.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used Keepass / Kypass for a couple years. Nice to have access to all my passwords through Dropbox storage of my Crypted Keepass file. If you use a REALLY LONG password, it is nearly certain that no one will break into your account ( except possibly NSA ?? ).

I do not put any ultra sensitive info in the Password file like bank account access.....keep that in my head only.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

unbob
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I use Roboform and have for around 15 years. I don't store my passwords in the cloud, they are stored locally, and when I travel they are stored, encrypted of course, on a thumb drive.
Ditto. Never had a problem with RF. With RF you have the option of storing in the cloud or just storing locally. I store locally only to ensure my passwords are secure!

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use last pas and pay the 12 bucks a year to use it across all platforms done this for years . several tech sites ( security now, Leo Laporte etc ) have evaluated security and last pass encrypts all data in and out and in fact is one that is so secure they have no access to your password or files even if the bad guys get last pass files they are useless . Your sol if you forget your master password . They use bank level encryption. My passwords are so complex and different on all accounts ( random generated) good luck. Never say never but I feel as secure as possible
Bill