Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable, Battery Operated Radio for Camping

hayesdt
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a recommendation for a good quality portable radio (AM
FM perhaps even shortwave) for use when we're camping. Looking for something that can really pull in the signals.

Battery operated or the "windup" battery.

Thanks.
DTH
2014 Ford F-150 STX, 4X4, 5.0 engine, 3.73 gearing paired with 2018 Keystone Hideout 202LHSTravel Trailer
4 REPLIES 4

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
buy a CC Brand radio from the co. Crane. Great radios with great reception am/fm/ weather alert. I would also buy a separate National Weather Alert radio that I leave on whenever I am on the road or parked at an RV park. I also have Cobra CB radio with the national weather alert feature. The CB is great for talking to the truckers on Channel 17 on the west coast or 19 to get road conditions/accidents/detours a mile in front and rear of you. If you buy a CB make sure and get a long Wilson antenna with a magnet base to fit on the top of your truck cab so you don't have to drill holes in your truck. A good antenna is what will get your reception for longer distances. The little short cute ones are useless and a waste of time.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ordered one from L.L. Bean a few years back. It was very nice.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most radios today are good at taking a signal off an antenna.. But to "Pull them in" The difference is the antenna. Alas. I Can not make any recommendations But

Have heard both good and bad about the company that makes the one in this link

Universal radio has a wide selection
AND they will talk to you (Call them)

They also have a good selection of "Alert" radios

I would give Universal Radio a call. Though I've never dealt with them the information I have is that they know their products.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m happy with my Eton Elite Field AM/FM/Shortwave Desktop Radio with Bluetooth. $129.00 on Amazon.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad