cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on copying from old to new computer?

TMitchell
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a new Windows 8 desk top to replace my Windows XP, that was running out of memory.
I use Outlook Express for saving important e-mails such as Insurance and my monthly utility bills they are in separate folders, under Storage.
Is there a way to copy these on a memory stick then paste them back on Outlook Express when I have the Windows 8 setup and running?
Is there also a way to save my favorites/bookmarks and paste them on the new computer.
Thanks for any help.
Tom
Tom,Pat and Buster the Boston Terrier
2004 Dutch Star 3807 Spartan 370HP
Jeep Grand Cherokee
8 REPLIES 8

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Actually it's quite simple to import email from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail. The Windows Live Mail importer will allow you to import directly from Outlook Express.

It's been a long time since I've dealt with Outlook Express, so you are on your own for where to find the .dbx files that you need. Each .dbx file relates to a folder you have in Outlook Express. So your Inbox emails are all stored in a file called Inbox.dbx.

These instructions include where to find your Outlook Express files:

Transferring data from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail:

For messages:

Copy the *ENTIRE* OE message store folder to a flash drive. (Folders.dbx must be included). Place this on the Desktop or other location on the machine using WLMail. Open WLMail and: File | Import | Messages | Microsoft Outlook Express 6 and point to where you saved it.

OE Message Store Location:

In OE: Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of your Outlook Express files. Write the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer or, copy and paste it into Start | Run.

In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.

For Addresses:

Open the Address Book in OE and File | Export | Address Book (wab) and save it to the Desktop. Copy to a flash drive. Place this on the Desktop or other location on the machine using WLMail.

Open the Contacts list in WLMail, (Go | Contacts on the Menu Bar), and File | Import | Windows Address Book (wab) and point to where you saved it.

Note: If you use a CD or DVD instead of a flash drive, after placing on the new machine you must remove the Read Only attribute in Properties before you import.

Hope that helps.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Transferring OE to Windows 8 mail client can be a tricky process as they are not compatible. I wouldn't take the chance. Either upload to GMail, or import first to Thunderbird(TB) email client as mentioned. You can easily transfer TB profile folder, containing your emails and account settings to another computer.

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
TMitchell wrote:
I just got a new Windows 8 desk top to replace my Windows XP, that was running out of memory.
I use Outlook Express for saving important e-mails such as Insurance and my monthly utility bills they are in separate folders, under Storage.
Is there a way to copy these on a memory stick then paste them back on Outlook Express when I have the Windows 8 setup and running?
Is there also a way to save my favorites/bookmarks and paste them on the new computer.

The second part of your question is easier to answer, so let's start with it. In File Explorer, go to C:\Users\yourusername. There should be a Favorites directory showing, that can be copied into a similar directory on your W8 machine.

Now, as far as Outlook Express, it was superseded in Windows 7 by Windows Essentials (Windows Live Mail). If I remember correctly, you can export your e-mail database in Outlook Express, copy it onto a sufficiently large USB stick, and import it into Windows Live Mail. Importing instructions

Remember, under Windows 8, WLM will run only on the Desktop. You can create a Start menu tile for WLM, but it won't be live (i.e., show the number of new messages, etc.) the way the Mail application does.

Good luck. It sounds harder than it actually is.

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
It has been awhile but I believe if you can install Thunderbird on you old machine it will ask if you want to import you mail, etc. from OE. Then you can transfer the TB profile to the new machine. I have used TB so many years that whn I install it on a new machine I don't import anything but as best as I recall it will import from OE.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

wilpower
Explorer
Explorer
I second Thunderbird. Load it on your old computer (as well as new), it transfers all files from OE, then transfer Thunderbird to new computer.

Sea_scape
Explorer
Explorer
Because Outlook didn't exist in the newer Windows, I switched to Thunderbird. I the exported all my folders and brought them into Thunderbird. Thunderbird let's you bring all your emails to a new computer, regardless of operating system.

As others have stated, I now use Gmail a lot. It let's me manage email from more than one device. I use a smart phone, tablet, laptop, and desktop, all at different times and for different purposes.

If I remember, when I transferred email from Outlook to Thunderbird, it was a "four shots of Scotch" night.

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
OE no longer exists after Avista, Win 7 or Win 8. MS is now promoting Live Mail.

You can export favorites/bookmarks from the File menu and conversely import from the file menu on the new computer.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
TMitchell wrote:
Is there also a way to save my favorites/bookmarks and paste them on the new computer
If you set up a google account it does all that for you. Any favorites you put on one computer will automatically be on the other, and your phone contacts link too. It's very slick.

I have no advice on OE - a very old program.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman