cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

R.I.P, my trusty Toshiba

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Well, my Toshiba laptop passed away suddenly the other day. Couldn't turn it on, yet worked fine day before. Probably a bad mother board. Over the years, I've only owned Toshibas since I found them to be pretty reliable. Well, it seems Toshiba isn't in the computer business any more.
So I just purchased an HP model with 17" screen. It's the same size and weight as my Toshiba. So far, she's working pretty good. I got it at Office Depot for $429.99 + tax. It was on sale. If I recall, my Toshiba was somewhere between $6-700. So I hope I get as good usage from the HP as I did with my old friend. ๐Ÿ™‚
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
8 REPLIES 8

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
zigzagrv wrote:
Bought my Toshiba Satellite laptop in 2004. Still use it today mainly for Delorme Street Atlas for trip planning and navigating. It's a nice, big GPS. Replaced battery once and repaired power plug. Of course, running Windows XP, you can't do a lot with it because of IE. However, works pretty good with Firefox.

When my laptop does what you describe, I remove battery for a while, reinsert and it's back in operation.

My original Toshiba, quite a few years old, also ran XP. It came with a recovery disc, so I reinstalled the whole OS and sold it a few years ago when I went to Windows 8 (now 10). At times, I wish I'd kept it. Could have used it for other purposes.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Bought my Toshiba Satellite laptop in 2004. Still use it today mainly for Delorme Street Atlas for trip planning and navigating. It's a nice, big GPS. Replaced battery once and repaired power plug. Of course, running Windows XP, you can't do a lot with it because of IE. However, works pretty good with Firefox.

When my laptop does what you describe, I remove battery for a while, reinsert and it's back in operation.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

MrWizard
my current laptop i've had several years is an HP 17"
i've had it long enough it has win 8.1 not win 10
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
esyers wrote:
Toshiba isn't in the business anymore??

Toshiba Website

Interesting. I had a difficult time finding a local supplier and was told by some that Toshiba wasn't manufacturing laptops any more. Guess they were wrong. Anyhow, I'm now an HP man. I hope our relationship will be as satisfying as it was with my Toshiba.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remove Battery, Remove A/C adapter plug from Computer

Sit on the power switch for like a minute

Restore battery
Restore adapter plug

Try again

If it works Decide if you need to buy lotto tickets cause when you hot you hot or if you need to avoid lotto tickets cause you done used your ration of LUCK for the week. }

And as always if it does not work your FREE is hearby cheerfully refunded ๐Ÿ™‚

My Trusty Tosh is now 5 years old and is sitting under the HP chrome book this is typed on.

IN the time it takes to TURN on the Tosh (Windows 10) I can take a Chrome book out of the box and if I've got good fast 5 Gig Wi-Fi have it fully set up with all my bookmarks and applications before I'm ready to open the browser on the Tosh.. I'm spoiled

But the HP's don't have a lot of storage nor any "Productavity" apps other than Google _____ which are all on line things.

The Tosh does logging and runs a bunch of stuff Chrome won't.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
Toshiba isn't in the business anymore??

Toshiba Website

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly Im done with Windows based anything. Many folks like Win10, but Im not a fan, so Im switching to Android based tablets. Now days they can do 99.5% of what windows do without the hassle of dealing with Microsoft.

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing like a new lap top. My last was a Toshiba and I got 6 years out of it and now I have a Dell only because it was on sale. Enjoy your new HP Mr Ed.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k