cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rand McNally, Garmin, TomTom, RV GPS, Kick the Hornets Nest

Not applicable
I've been reading older post on this forum, they tend to die out because I can't seem to tell if the majority lean one brand over the other. So I decided to ask a comparison of the 3 top brands mentioned thru out the forum of which "appear" to be better for RV use than an other.

Not really trying to kick a hornets nest, but as with everything I start to research, always seems one brand has something better than the others and then each have something different but better then those others.

I would like to ask if anyone actually likes the features that these "RV" devices offer?

I would be replacing a really old Garmin that can't hold charges at all, very difficult to accept the map downloads. I have a 2011 Yukon and the latest GM update is 2016, (just ordered it because the original is almost useless where I live). Order off eBay $14.00, not GMC site of $180., newer has to be better than 2011????

Lets just compare the GPS choices and not so much the google maps and the other great ideas others have mentioned in prior posts, nothing beats a paper map etc. (I agree).

I am leaning toward the Rand McNally brand, but that's because of the minimal marketing I've been reading on all three. The RM seems to market more for the RV's, but as others here say, do your planning research and not specific to the GPS.

Anyone interested in hashing this out "AGAIN"?

Thanks for any input!

Thanks
Jon
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy
25 REPLIES 25

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I find that by the time I'm actually following a plotted route I've looked at it so much I don't need the gps.
-jbh-

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I still use paper. assisted by Google Maps on my phone.. I also have Microsoft S&T with a GPS dongle for my Windozer but I've found the Google Maps to be very good.. YOU DO however have to use brain, not just GPS. For example at one corner Google tells me to turn left. Well there is no left turn (in fact at more than one) WHat happens is the road I'm on takes a half right. and a DIFFERENT road is straight ahead.. Sometimes Google gets this right. Sometimes Wrong. and by "Turn Left" they really mean DO NOT TURN at all.

But then That's why I back it up with paper.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
The trick is that there's a 12'3" clearance bridge on TX-63/LA-8 at the Sabine River. Garmin has it, lowclearances.com does not, and AITA has it at 12'1". My Basecamp set at 13' routes around it. I don't know what Google would do.

A gripe about Garmin and Basecamp is that while it'll route around such obstacles it won't tell you why; it'll just refuse to go there. I confirm via Google Earth and sometimes confirm that there's no obstacle on the route I want but it's a block over.
-jbh-

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dup.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many tablets DO have an actual GPS chip built in. I use a 10" Samsung for my GPS needs along with Google Maps and/or WAZE. With Google Maps you can also download the maps before you leave if you are not going to have a MiFi type device (or your phone used as a hot spot). The advantage of having an internet connection while traveling is the live traffic data provided by these 2 services. It's nothing like the nearly worthless traffic data available when using a Garmin or similar GPS unit which if FM (radio) based and only available in limited areas, mostly big cities.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
Normy wrote:
Does the Android tablet use SAT technology like the actual GPS units?

I'm not a full timer, so I'm not sure I'll need a mifi? I could be wrong?

My tablet does not have GPS built in, so I will add an external GPS receiver. I will provide it wifi via my phone as needed, but with copilot all the maps are able to be downloaded to the device, which is a big plus when traveling.
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
From Garmin Basecamp:

1. Burkeville, N30ยฐ 59.963' W93ยฐ 40.100'
2. Get on Hwy63 and drive northeast, 323.3ยฐ true, N30ยฐ 59.963' W93ยฐ 40.100'
3. Turn left onto N 5th St, 28.87 mi, 31 min, 28.9 mi, 31 min, 88.1ยฐ true, N31ยฐ 08.595' W93ยฐ 15.827'
4. Turn right onto Alexandria Hwy, 1.20 mi, 4 min, 30.1 mi, 35 min, 331.9ยฐ true, N31ยฐ 09.602' W93ยฐ 16.000'
5. Turn left onto Hwy8, 5.62 mi, 6 min, 35.7 mi, 41 min, 90.0ยฐ true, N31ยฐ 09.596' W93ยฐ 10.338'
6. Get on Hwy8 and drive east, 27 ft, 65.0 mi, 1 h, 19 min, 4.2ยฐ true, N31ยฐ 24.311' W92ยฐ 49.584'
7. Take the I-49 S/La-8 E ramp to the right towards Alexandria, 6.92 mi, 9 min, 71.9 mi, 1 h, 28 min, 60.0ยฐ true, N31ยฐ 24.508' W92ยฐ 43.054'
8. Continue on I-49 S towards Lafayette, 18.01 mi, 17 min, 89.9 mi, 1 h, 45 min, 145.2ยฐ true, N31ยฐ 18.472' W92ยฐ 27.001'
9. Us165 N, 0.33 mi, 20 s, 90.3 mi, 1 h, 45 min, 67.3ยฐ true, N31ยฐ 18.222' W92ยฐ 26.841'
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Google Maps

Follow TX-63 E, LA-8 E and LA-28 E to 10th St in Alexandria. Take exit 85A from I-49 S/LA-28 E

Copilot RV

63 east, 8 north, 1213 north, i71, 8 east, bus. 28, i165 north
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Just for giggles everyone please plot a route from Burkeville TX to Alexandria LA using TX-63/LA-8 and relate what you come up with.
-jbh-

sempka
Explorer
Explorer
I use Co-Pilot RV on a 9 inch tablet, it does use GPS to determine your position. Maps can be stored so that an internet connection is not required on the road. Have been satisfied with both the planning and the on the road features.
2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral

Not applicable
I had started a separate post on the 3 Rand McNally RV GPS's if anyone like one more over another, but the post is gone, presumably deleted...Anyway

I'm not going to mention the 3 names but one is an actual GPS type unit, the other two are on a tablet based system. I read the spec's on each but I'm wondering if you that use the Rand McNally brands is there one you would like over the other even if you have the other?

I've been reading here that the RV feature can route you like trucks too far out of you original destination. Some use the "car-mode" on the Garmin's, I didn't notice these 3 Rand McNally's RV's have a car mode.

I guess the million dollar question is of the 3 Rand McNally RV units, and forget price for now, and forget other brands this one time post, "is there a reason to get the higher priced tablets then the original style"? Why the heck so many choices?

thanks
Normy
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy

Not applicable
apr67 wrote:
I'm looking at Co-Pilot myself, probably on a 9" android tablet. The big thing I want is to be able to route plan with windows and then transfer the route. It looks like this will be a manual process with anything I've found thus far.

Does the Android tablet use SAT technology like the actual GPS units?

I'm not a full timer, so I'm not sure I'll need a mifi? I could be wrong?
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I plan using Garmin Basecamp on a Windows pc (Apple also available) and transfer the route to the RV-760.
-jbh-

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at Co-Pilot myself, probably on a 9" android tablet. The big thing I want is to be able to route plan with windows and then transfer the route. It looks like this will be a manual process with anything I've found thus far.
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger