cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roku Question

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed our Roku box has a USB port on the side. So if I plug a WiFi amplifier into the USB port and that enables a useable signal, will the Roku box work in the campground (using the signal from the campground) just as it does in my stick home?
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
PLEASE Do not do that.. ROKU and devices like it eat bandwidth and the park very likely has too little to begin with. If you are going to stream video, Bring your Verizon and prepare to pay overage charges. Do not use Park Wi-Fi.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Actually I think a few folks misunderstood what you are trying to do, or maybe I did. You are looking to the USB port on the ROKU to power the booster, not act as the ROKU's WiFi, correct?
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
thanks folks, it is always amazing how quick I get stuff like this answered here.

MrWizard
The Roku has built in Wi-Fi
It might connect to another external router in your RV, like it does at home
No it will not use a USB Wi-Fi stick
That port is for connecting a network, or USB external drive our memory stick to play media stored on that hhd or stick
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
No it won't work. The Roku box should be able to connect with it's internal WiFi assuming its an open AP. But you'll be bandwidth limited for sure. No to mention everyone else trying to use that AP. Get a Verizon Jetpack or similar...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I suppose it would depend on whether the USB wi-fi booster needs installed software to work. I was under the impression the USB port was for media access, i.e. movies, video, photos, etc.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Explorer
Explorer
I don't think this will work at all. That port is there to put in media through a USB device including a USB stick drive or a USB hard drive and it will recognize any media that the Roku is made to recognize - mainly video, photo, and audio file formats.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
That's an interesting question. Even if it works, you'd still be limited by the CGs bandwidth, more over you'd be sucking up the bandwidth from other users. Some CGs are also blocking the ports used for streaming so it might not work at all.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)