cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite Finder Meters

LScamper
Explorer
Explorer
Interested in any experience with relatively cheap satellite finder meters to be used on Dish Network. Not talking about the $10.00 stuff but units like SATlink WS-6908 on Amazon in the $120.00 range. Will they work on Dish Network? Are they any good?

I now use the $10.00 meter and wireless camera to look at my TV screen when setting up the dish. This works fine but Iโ€™m curious about the stand-alone meters.
Lou
25 REPLIES 25

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fire5er wrote:
What portable Dish antenna works with the Hopper?

You will need a regular household style antenna with the 3 LNB's and an open face. That means the Dish 1000.2 (WA 110, 119, 129) or 1000.4 (EA 61.5, 72.7, 77). You will also need to put a Solo Node "splitter" between the antenna and the Hopper/Joey for proper operation.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Fire5er
Explorer
Explorer
What portable Dish antenna works with the Hopper?
2011 F350 CC, 6.7, LB, DRW.
Hijacker (24-UMS-21) 21k Underbox Hitch.
2014 Big Sky Montana
PressurePro Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
greenrvgreen wrote:

I understand that an open dish, properly aimed, will get better reception and be more robust against rainstorms, but the little Tailgator does a good job . . .

A Tailgater does a great job and is probably the best solution for part-timers . . . it's portable, it's automatic, it's HD, and with DISH Pay-As-You-Go you turn it on/off as needed.

But for full-timers, not so much because a Tailgater only works with a VIP211 receiver (so forget about using a Hopper), and a Tailgater only uses the Western Arc (110, 119, 129) sats which could be a problem depending on where you're camping.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
greenrvgreen wrote:
OP asked about the Tailgator. I must admit, since getting my Tailgator, I've started reading through these Sat aiming threads just so I can laugh at other people and their misfortunes.

After a year of using the Tailgator, I can find only two objections to the current design:

1. Before watching TV, you have to remember to put it outside.

2. Before driving off, you have to remember to put it away.

I understand that an open dish, properly aimed, will get better reception and be more robust against rainstorms, but the little Tailgator does a good job, and I just have to remember steps #1 and #2.

The Tailgator is nice, although the Carryout may be a bit better for rain fade, as it has a bit larger dish. And the Carryout would work in my current location, where only the Dish eastern arc birds are "seeable". My 1000.4 dish works fine with either arc though, and usually only takes a few minutes to set up. And my whole satellite system cost less than the Tailgator alone.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
OP asked about the Tailgator. I must admit, since getting my Tailgator, I've started reading through these Sat aiming threads just so I can laugh at other people and their misfortunes.

After a year of using the Tailgator, I can find only two objections to the current design:

1. Before watching TV, you have to remember to put it outside.

2. Before driving off, you have to remember to put it away.

I understand that an open dish, properly aimed, will get better reception and be more robust against rainstorms, but the little Tailgator does a good job, and I just have to remember steps #1 and #2.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
I will break sat finders down into 3 groups.. And give my recommendation (Type 3)

1: Those little in-line analog meters that basically find each and every satellite in the KU band and are thus absolutly useless. They cost about 20 bucks more or less and are not worth 20 cents in my book.. Well perhaps 20 cents, I mean I can scavage the meter out of 'em and use it for other things.

The second is a class of digital sat finder meters like the triple meter described above, these units contain their own power and you hook them up, they tell you WHAT satellite(s) you have found so you know if you are peaked where you wish to be Cost ranges from around 100 used to several thousand new. They work well but the price is high.

The third is our Sat Receiver.. MOST receivers have a Sat Finder built in.

Just hook up a small battery operated COLOR tv with enough coax to reach the antenna. leave the receiver on the proper menu page and watch the TV as you aim. The cost is low, and Well. Dish Network's software compares with the "Thousands of dollars new" meter I did not name above.

I don't even need the extra color TV or stuff and just use my normal TV set up for the signal strength and use my all purpose "baby monitor" to watch and hear the TV from where I'm siting in my dish. This along with my Align-a-sight and I'm good to go.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

kjburns
Explorer
Explorer
I use the cheap meter with Dishpointer Pro. The one I have makes a shrill sound that gets more obnoxious as the signal gets peaked. Fortunately, there is also a volume control on it. As others have said, set the elevation and skew, then turn in the general direction until the signal peaks. It's pretty simple.
2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW

12rvjoe
Explorer
Explorer
ferretgrandpa wrote:
I thought about a meter, but haven't needed one yet. It's only been 10 years and I haven't been everywhere yet, but the receiver's built in meter works for us. As for the beeps,the DW like to yell at me anyway.

LOL ......

LScamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for bringing those meters to my attention.

What do you all think about getting a Tailgater antenna and forgetting about a meter?
Lou

ferretgrandpa
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about a meter, but haven't needed one yet. It's only been 10 years and I haven't been everywhere yet, but the receiver's built in meter works for us. As for the beeps,the DW like to yell at me anyway.
Medical reasons took us off the road
98 GMC 2500
RBW Lil Rocker 15K
08 Flagstaff 8526 RLS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
KA4EBU wrote:
I can't always hear the tv, so I do see the 10 dollar meter.
If your receiver has beeps, great. Mine does not.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

KA4EBU
Explorer
Explorer
It is absolutely the easiest job in rving. Set the elevation based on info in the setup for the receiver, then point in the general direction, then move slowly until it beeps or makes a noise to let you know you have a pic. I can't always hear the tv, so I do see the 10 dollar meter.
To set the general direction, I have the 110 and 119 west longitude sats programed in the GPS at 0 latitude. Then I go there off road which draws a straight line. I know where to point dish before I park.
Don and Pauletta
2003 Phaeton 40RH
2008 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
Misty - Enjoying on the Rainbow Bridge
Sophie - Maltese

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
John, I think you are being a little hard on the cheap-o meters. I've been using one ever since I started using the portable dish on Directv. Even after getting the Slimline 3 for HD (non-SWM.) Set the skew and elevation and peak on 101. Cheap and effective.....

Lynn, WA5KLB
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired