Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Simple Home Monitor Camera

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XN21LX2?psc=1

Anyone use something like this to monitor their home while they are away? I'm not sure I know how it works. I want something simple. Would I have to leave my computer on for this to work? Or does just the wifi need to be on? If the power goes off and comes back on, will something like this come back up on line or does it have to be manually reset?

Thanks for any help,
Brad
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos
25 REPLIES 25

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.foscam.com/video_view.aspx?id=2

Man, I watched this video and it looked pretty dang complicated to set the Foscam up.
Wake Up America

Gdlow
Explorer
Explorer
I use an old cell phone..doesn't pan or tilt but cheap and I can monitor from app called Salient Eye..takes pictures of motion and emails or texts to me...
Gary And Cathy
'05 Dolphin 5342
Honda Element following us :W
Pacnats
GS, FMCA
:C Rallys attended
FMCA Albany, Or.'06
FMCA Redmond, Or.'07
FMCA Quartzite, Az. '10...but not again:R
Good Sams "The Rally" Redmond Or. '11
FMCA Redmond August 2014
FMCA Indio, Ca 2013

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
Blink kickstarter

Many of the sites charge a monthly fee for monitoring or recording. Blink is a product about to launch that has no monthly fee.

I'm not related to Blink but I've looked at cameras before for a vacation home of a relative. The monthly fee was always a deterrent.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

RenoAl
Explorer
Explorer
I use Dlink cloud cameras at two locations. They offer a variety of cameras and are easy setup. They only require wifi and reboot after a power outage. You can program them to do several actions. I use my Samsung phone or PC to access them.
2005 Dodge 3500 DRW:Firestone air bags w/ in dual cab control, Rancho 9000, Helwig sway bar, 55 gal fuel tank, cold air box
2005 Lance 1191: generator, TV, A/C, solar
Bayliner 19.5 Capri & 12 ft. Gregor
1965 TBird
Rosie the dog

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate wrote:
x3 on Foscams. I have them set via Blue Iris to send me notifications and emails as stated earlier. Mine monitor my driveway too so I can see who is coming/going.

The Blue Isis is the program that the neighbor uses, that I mentioned.
We both use Foscams.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
SCVJeff wrote:
They only stream when being watched (at least the Foscam's). If you set it for motion alarm, it takes a series of 5 .jpegs of the event and emails it to you. So in this case it doesn't matter the speed. It'll get there when it gets there.

Thanks, that is good to know.

I was reading a review on Amazon of one of them (not Foscam) and it streamed 1080 HD continuously. The guy said he used 8 times as much upload the first month he had it as he normally did. Seems like he said 250GB vs 30GB, or something like that.

I'm definitely going to look into the Foscams. All I need to see is the inside of my house, a big dial thermometer and if the $20 I left on the kitchen table is still there. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dropcam was bought up by another company and the name was dropped.
Wake Up America

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
OK, I've read up on some of the suggestions and I'm thinking I will have a problem with my slow internet connection. It is generally below 1M/s; probably about .7M/s. Those cameras seem to be just what I need, but they seem to be sending a lot of data down the wire.
They only stream when being watched (at least the Foscam's). If you set it for motion alarm, it takes a series of 5 .jpegs of the event and emails it to you. So in this case it doesn't matter the speed. It'll get there when it gets there..

Also remember your "slow" internet, I assume you are measuring download speed? Cams are doing the opposite and dont care about slow downloading. .7-1M upload speeds are pretty common.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy two Foscam tilt/rotate and two way audio for what one Simplicam costs. You have many choices and it all comes down to what you feel would work in you situation. Good luck.
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, I've read up on some of the suggestions and I'm thinking I will have a problem with my slow internet connection. It is generally below 1M/s; probably about .7M/s. Those cameras seem to be just what I need, but they seem to be sending a lot of data down the wire.
Wake Up America

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
No.. Power was lost just today and they rebooted just fine.
What's nice about these cameras is IF when you lose power in the house and the router picks up a new ASAP, these cameras send an email letting you know what the new IP is, and it's a very simple field fix. My router, modem, and a few critical switches are all on UPS anyway so that's happened probably once in 2 years.

I bought one of those RING doorbells and returned it within hours for a number of reasons, but one of the big ones is the subscription picture service. Don't need to pay for something that the bought gear should do
Jeff - WA6EQU

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
I vote Simplicam -- no Port Forwarding. Very easy setup.

No pan or tilt, and it appears the reason for no port forwarding is that its talking to an off-site server doing recording. Sooner or later they are going to charge for that.

1-day recording storage for 2 cameras is about $8/month. If you don't opt for storage, then no monthly fee.

If you lose power in your house, do you have to restore your camera's settings?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have two Foscams too, and I do like them. I also use an old Android phone with an app to be an ip cam.

I do not use the Foscam software, I really like an android app called Tinycam Monitor. I use the paid version.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
No pan or tilt, and it appears the reason for no port forwarding is that its talking to an off-site server doing recording. Sooner or later they are going to charge for that.
Not cheap either
Jeff - WA6EQU

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs