cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sirius XM Portability

hhornig
Explorer
Explorer
I have two vehicles plus my motorhome and having S-XM in each of them is cost prohibitive. Is there a receiver that can use blue tooth to play through my individual radios?
17 REPLIES 17

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are several receivers for XM and Sirius At least one, at least in days of old. was a removable "head" that plugged into a "home" base portable Base (Boom box) or car base. And that is about all I can say about 'em. I have a portable receiver here but alas non working.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
I have one that has an FM transmitter built in.

Most of them do, especially the older ones. That's how I do it when camping. Transmit to my piece of **** IRV66 receiver inside and also transmit to a Bose wave radio outside. Soon I will replace the outside speakers with some quality ones, and I wont need the Bose outdoors anymore.

(I know- no highs, no lows, must be Bose)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
{tpc} wrote:
I was going to suggest signing up for the internet or phone part and then streaming or just using a headphone jack or bluetooth to your various radios.

But I find the easiest way is to call them up at the renewal time and negotiate a cheaper package. The key here is to be nice but firm in not being able to afford the cost, especially for multiple vehicles and or some that are not used all the time, and be sure not to have a credit card or debit card tied to the account via online setup or any other way.

I always request a paper billing and I always make a "one time payment". I've found that if you do it any other way, they automatically renew and charge you. I've even had them charge me after I thought I had removed my info off their website or just made a "one time payment" on the website. Now I do it over the phone, and never have an issue.

When the "promotional rate" runs out, they will automatically renew you at the higher rate when they send you the paper bill, which typically comes after this renewal date. Thats when I call, explain that the cost is too much, and they start offering deals again. Once I get the one I want, then I make a one-time payment and its usually another 5 months for $25 deal.

Sometimes I just get tired of it and cancel it all together. Doesn't take long for the "we want you back" promotional rates to start flooding the mailbox.

exactly why I changed to the ala carte plan.
bumpy

_tpc_
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to suggest signing up for the internet or phone part and then streaming or just using a headphone jack or bluetooth to your various radios.

But I find the easiest way is to call them up at the renewal time and negotiate a cheaper package. The key here is to be nice but firm in not being able to afford the cost, especially for multiple vehicles and or some that are not used all the time, and be sure not to have a credit card or debit card tied to the account via online setup or any other way.

I always request a paper billing and I always make a "one time payment". I've found that if you do it any other way, they automatically renew and charge you. I've even had them charge me after I thought I had removed my info off their website or just made a "one time payment" on the website. Now I do it over the phone, and never have an issue.

When the "promotional rate" runs out, they will automatically renew you at the higher rate when they send you the paper bill, which typically comes after this renewal date. Thats when I call, explain that the cost is too much, and they start offering deals again. Once I get the one I want, then I make a one-time payment and its usually another 5 months for $25 deal.

Sometimes I just get tired of it and cancel it all together. Doesn't take long for the "we want you back" promotional rates to start flooding the mailbox.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
Bobbo wrote:

Also keep in mind that you will have no Sirius/XM if you are somewhere you have no internet service on your phone.

????????????????????
bumpy

turbojimmy wrote:
Or, if you have their Internet streaming package you can just stream from your phone to your car's receiver via an AUX cord or Bluetooth (if your motorhome and/or other vehicle have it). Using their streaming uses your data plan though, so be aware of that.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Bobbo wrote:

Also keep in mind that you will have no Sirius/XM if you are somewhere you have no internet service on your phone.

????????????????????
bumpy

I think (hope) he was referring to the streaming option.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:

????????????????????
bumpy

hhornig
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
I have one that has an FM transmitter built in.

What is the brand name?

Larry-D
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stream sirius/xm through my iphone all the time on both internet/wifi and through the cell system. Just audio doesn't use much data. Can bluetooth through the dash radio

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
I move my Sirus receiver between two different docking stations ("docks"). One dock is in the truck and the other is in the trailer.
- The trailer dock is wired to the trailer radio's Aux input. I have a panel antenna mounted to the top of my TV antenna mast that I rotate as needed for max signal (worked awesome up in the arctic).
- The truck dock is connected to the trucks radio via a "FM Antenna Adapter" (the truck radio doesn't have an Aux. input). Also works great, just have to set the FM radio to whatever frequency you have the modulator in the Sirus radio set to. Don't waste your time fiddling around with FM direct (wireless between the Sirius radio and your truck radio). I have a "trucker antenna" mounted to the canoe/kayak rack on top of the canopy which works well (also worked in the Arctic).
- IF you really want Bluetooth, there is a Bluetooth adapter available that you plug into the audio out port on the dock that transmits a Bluetooth signal.

All this stuff is available here.
They are very helpful and have prompt service.

BTW. Even though Sirius/XM is one company now, the two services use different satellite constellations. So if your travels might take you to Northern Canada and Alaska, stick with Sirius.

Hope this helps.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
turbojimmy wrote:
Yes they have a couple of different types of receivers that are portable. I have this one: Onyx Plus. You can get an extra antenna for the other vehicle so you don't have to move it.

Or, if you have their Internet streaming package you can just stream from your phone to your car's receiver via an AUX cord or Bluetooth (if your motorhome and/or other vehicle have it). Using their streaming uses your data plan though, so be aware of that.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Side issue. You can save $$ by going to SiriusXM website and checking out their various packages. The little info from the car dealers and any renewal minders never discuss lesser costing programming. I switched from the full package to the "Mostly Music" package. IIRC, went from $16/mo to $10/mo and got rid of all the sports, comedy, news, and political garbage. I could have went less, but I wanted my 60's on 6, 70's on 7, etc. & that was the lowest package for that. I will have to investigate the ala cart deal. I only routinely listen to maybe 10 channels.

First trip with new camper, had no cell service at the site. So no radio via cell available.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have two of the older Pioneer Innos. Battery powered so I can with head phones listen almost anywhere, easily moves from place to place and stores up to a thousand songs for those times XM is blocked. Check Ebay for used ones.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
Yes they have a couple of different types of receivers that are portable. I have this one: Onyx Plus. You can get an extra antenna for the other vehicle so you don't have to move it.

I have a similar one that I can move among bases I have in two vehicles and the house. If you get this type, be sure it has a provision for ala carte service. I got tired of fighting with them every year for a decent price that I switched to alacarte service. about $6?? a month for 50 stations. some of the stations I want are extra cost, IIRC 25 cents a month.
bumpy