cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supplemental Brake System failure

Oakback
Explorer
Explorer
I had an SMI supplemental braking system installed on my 2016 jeep wrangler by camping world in hanover PA less than a year ago.It subsequently failed, and I then had CW in summerfield florida repair it. I;m now in frankfort ky, and it has failed again. Stopped by CW in georgetown ky because I never received a return call from the service dept (until after I returned to my RV). Georgetown was unable to help me. My wife and I are heading through the mountains of Tenn, and I'm concerned. Frankly, I'd prefer to return the SMI system, get a refund, and purchase the old school brake buddy. I don't trust this system or CW's ability to properly install it.
HELP!!
9 REPLIES 9

Good_Sam_Care_T
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am closing this topic due to lack of activity. Thank you for your time and participating. Please feel free to open a new thread on this topic in the future if you wish.

Thank you,
Ella
Good Sam Care Team

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got the poor installation repaired correctly, but it was NOT the SMI product failure but personnel failure. Funny how things work as intended when installed as intended.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Oakback
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I'm impressed.

I know the culture of a corporation is defined at the very top.
I have no doubt Marcus is profit driven. But I also know that happy customers help drive success.

I don;t know who reads this forum, but the CW in Georgetown Kentucky contacted me, and when I arrived for the repair, was treated like royalty.
Their employee Malcolm was the man who called and greeted me. He and Wayne took care of me. Wayne is a cracker jack mechanic, and will be a great asset to this new location.
Wayne replaced the dislodged self tapping screw, with a nut and bolt he fastened to 2 pieces of steel that he drilled a hole into, to supplement the fire wall. It ain't goin nowhere now.

I'll give this location the benefit of the doubt. It's new, the staff is new. The place is very busy, and I imagine some of the staff are overwhelmed.

But CW, and the staff at Georgetown Kentucky came through.

Thank you Camping World ( and if your listening.....Marcus)

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Should have bought the Ready Brake to start with. It's just about as simple as it can be.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Oakback wrote:
I have not contacted SMI. System was purchased through, and installed by CW.
They (CW) warranty their labor. The system has a 5 yr warranty.
What's wrong? For starts, the bolt holding the cylinder that controls the brake pedal popped out, and the unit does not appear to be getting any power to it. Can't hear the pump work at all. It may be a good system if installed properly.
I wouldn't know.

I THINK WE HAVE OUR ANSWER
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Oakback
Explorer
Explorer
I have not contacted SMI. System was purchased through, and installed by CW.
They (CW) warranty their labor. The system has a 5 yr warranty.
What's wrong? For starts, the bolt holding the cylinder that controls the brake pedal popped out, and the unit does not appear to be getting any power to it. Can't hear the pump work at all. It may be a good system if installed properly.
I wouldn't know.

Good_Sam_Care_T
Explorer
Explorer
Oakback,
Thank you for contacting Camping World. I am sorry to hear about your brake system not working. Please send a private message with your phone number for assistance.

Thanks,
Stacy
Good Sam Care Team

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I haven't had any problems with my SMI Stay-N-Play since it was new.
What model do you have?
What is the problem?
Have you called SMI?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Oakback wrote:
I had an SMI supplemental braking system installed on my 2016 jeep wrangler by camping world in hanover PA less than a year ago.It subsequently failed, and I then had CW in summerfield florida repair it. I;m now in frankfort ky, and it has failed again. Stopped by CW in georgetown ky because I never received a return call from the service dept (until after I returned to my RV). Georgetown was unable to help me. My wife and I are heading through the mountains of Tenn, and I'm concerned. Frankly, I'd prefer to return the SMI system, get a refund, and purchase the old school brake buddy. I don't trust this system or CW's ability to properly install it.
HELP!!

Silly question, but what does SMI have to say? I love my SMI and would like to know what it is that failed?
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible