cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tablet: Windows or Droid?

rmmpe
Explorer
Explorer
Excuse my ignorance but I'd like to know a little more of whether I should buy a tablet having a Windows or Android operating system. My plan is to use for e-mail, browsing and programs such as Word, Excell, photo editing, forum participation, etc.
May I ask for opinions regarding what my choice should be?
Bob (Squidly Down Under) & Peg
"In God we trust"
2013 Ford Focus pushing a 2011 Phoenix Cruiser 2552S
Carry on, regardless...............
19 REPLIES 19

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
I think you made a good decision. You'll enjoy it.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

rmmpe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. Based on it I decided, as I have a big W7 laptop and a 10" XP Netbook, I'd go with an Android system. Consequently, I bought an 8" Samsung Galaxy Note w/16gB of memory and added a 64gB micro SD card. I figure as I've only used 75gB on the 17" laptop, 80gB is plenty for what I want.
So far, it's faster than either of the others and the resolution is very good.

Again, thanks all. You're input was wonderful.
Bob (Squidly Down Under) & Peg
"In God we trust"
2013 Ford Focus pushing a 2011 Phoenix Cruiser 2552S
Carry on, regardless...............

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
K I'll fess up...

Just bought W8 tablet with full version 32 bit Windows (Not RT) for $349.00.
It has the crappy Atom 1.5ghz 2 core processor with 2GB of DDR2 ram.
I believe the tablet hardware is designed for the OS so it runs without problems.

I really like it after fiddling with Andread for a few years.
I will say it runs fast and has not ever locked or mysteriously crashed.
Andreads FC's and ANRs were rampant for me.

Not trying to trash Android or the other big OS, just got tired of the many poorly written apps.
Excellent Android apps will come at higher prices.
Google play is sooooo laden with freebie ad laced junk applications that I'm guessing more than 70% are pretty much dismissible.
My uninformed opinion is:
Google play is the biggest problem with Android.

I just wanted a device I could relax with and use so I jumped ship for the Windows tablet in it's latest form.

I'd recommend steering clear of RT when considering a W8 tab...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I too agree if you want to run Microsoft software, Get a unit that runs Microsoft (Windows)

If you just want "Word Processing" (not specifically MS Word) then it does not matter (Fill in the other functions as well)

Dell 8.x inch tablet, Windows 8, 299 at at least one retailer

I'm considering a Windows tablet as the replacement for this turkey if I can't get it to run faster..

Major problem with windows... patch tuesday... Every patch tuesday they put another layer of band-aids on their operating system and t h i n g s s l o w d o w n !
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
Not Everybody wants to upload all their photos
and use WEB access to manage them or edit/manipulate them
I upload only those i wish to share, those that go with specific posts

everything else, even my scenic pics etc..
stay on my PC and external HHd storage
i download many times more pictures than i upload
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
chrisguld wrote:
strollin wrote:

There are external drives that tablets can access, even an iPad. The Seagate Wireless Plus is a 1TB external hard drive that can be accessed via wifi. In the case of Android tablets, many, such as the Nexus 7 I have, can access an external drive via a special USB cable called an OTG cable.

Also, there is a Picasa app available for Android tablets & phones but there shouldn't be any reason you couldn't access the Picasa website from a browser on any table.
--------------------------

I will look into those hard drives ... good to know! What software/Apps do you use to access files on the external drives?

But, the Picasa I'm referring to is Picasa3 software for Winows or Macintosh - it resides on the computer to manage the library of pictures on the computer. The website is altogether a different animal. Picasa3 software is only available on Windows or Mac - no mobile app.

OK, I'll take your word on Picasa since I don't use it. I just see that you can upload your pictures to the website and view them in albums there.

There are apps in the Apple and Android app stores that will allow you to access the files on the Seagate Wireless Plus drive. It's also possible to access the files via a browser.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

chrisguld
Explorer
Explorer
strollin wrote:

There are external drives that tablets can access, even an iPad. The Seagate Wireless Plus is a 1TB external hard drive that can be accessed via wifi. In the case of Android tablets, many, such as the Nexus 7 I have, can access an external drive via a special USB cable called an OTG cable.

Also, there is a Picasa app available for Android tablets & phones but there shouldn't be any reason you couldn't access the Picasa website from a browser on any table.
--------------------------

I will look into those hard drives ... good to know! What software/Apps do you use to access files on the external drives?

But, the Picasa I'm referring to is Picasa3 software for Winows or Macintosh - it resides on the computer to manage the library of pictures on the computer. The website is altogether a different animal. Picasa3 software is only available on Windows or Mac - no mobile app.
Chris Guld
"Blessed are the Flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape!"
Full time in our 37' Gulfstream Endura Super C
See our weblog/travelog, at GeeksOnTour.Blogspot.com
RV.net Blogger

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
chrisguld wrote:
... The roadblock in my book comes with pictures. One of my main uses of my laptop is to manage a library of thousands of digital photos. A tablet cannot store thousands of pictures, and it can't access an external hard drive for them either. My favorite software, Picasa is not available for any tablet. Therefore, I still need a real computer. ...

Also, there is a Picasa app available for Android tablets & phones but there shouldn't be any reason you couldn't access the Picasa website from a browser on any tablet.
Reese Dual Cam HP
Twin Honda 2000s

See our pics here

MrWizard
i have an Android tablet 'Motorola Xoom' and Android phone
i do email, these forums, and lots of browsing
but when i want to edit... do photo manipulation i go to my windows laptop

document files and typing ... Also windows
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

chrisguld
Explorer
Explorer
That is such a big topic these days!
You mention 2 choices: Windows or Android. Actually, the number 1 choice is Apple iPad - so that makes 3 possibilities. I love my iPad mini, couldn't live without my Droid Razr smartphone, but still need a Windows (or Mac) laptop to get my work done. My husband, Jim, has a Microsoft Surface Pro (true Windows 8 computer in tablet form) and no longer needs a laptop.

If you're primarily 'consuming' content - reading emails, browsing web, using Facebook - a tablet is great, and it can do a little bit of document creation using cloud-based software like Google Drive Documents/Spreadsheets, or Skydrive Word and Excel.

The roadblock in my book comes with pictures. One of my main uses of my laptop is to manage a library of thousands of digital photos. A tablet cannot store thousands of pictures, and it can't access an external hard drive for them either. My favorite software, Picasa is not available for any tablet. Therefore, I still need a real computer.

I've written a couple of articles on this subject. If you'd like to read more, here they are:
What Tablet to Buy?
http://geeksontour.tv/2012/11/tablet-computers-which-one-to-buy/
Can an iPad replace your Computer?
http://geeksontour.tv/2013/08/ipad-as-work-computer/
Chris Guld
"Blessed are the Flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape!"
Full time in our 37' Gulfstream Endura Super C
See our weblog/travelog, at GeeksOnTour.Blogspot.com
RV.net Blogger

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're looking to use your tablet in lieu of your laptop or desktop, then going with a Windows tablet is a no-brainer. I always have my laptop with me on the road and do use it for work-related software, but everything else I can readily do on my Android tablet. Boots up much quicker, can access all my favorite apps, websites, videos, music, and pictures faster, plus the dual cameras makes the device so much fun. Quite often the laptop won't even see the light of day on many trips with the smartphone and tablet onboard, just sits in its travel case mostly. Do get a quality unit if choosing an Andtoid tablet as the low end units are plagued with functionality issues.

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
If you really want a tablet that can run Microsoft applications then I'd stick with a Windows based tablet. Most tablets can read word and excel files but if you want to create or update them they leave a bit to be desired. ...

IMO, the only reason that content creation is lacking on a tablet is due to the absence of a mouse and keyboard. If you use the tablet with a mouse and keyboard then it will be able to create and update office files as well as a laptop.
Reese Dual Cam HP
Twin Honda 2000s

See our pics here

DUNEBUGGYDOUG
Explorer
Explorer
I am using a Samsung Tablet to send this message.It is a droid and I am quite pleased with it .

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
For web browsing, word, excel and other light duty tasks I can guarantee you will be very happy with a windows 8 tablet.

I have an android tablet it worked well when it worked.
The thing that drove me nuts with android on a tablet were the web browsers.
The crashing and sluggishness were quite irritating YMMV.
Android does have quite a few browser choices however.

If you decide on a wintab might I suggest the Lenovo Lynx.
The Lenovo is worth a look.