cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary Cell Service

BigDaddy1951
Explorer
Explorer
I work in a position where I need to be available by phone, text, or email all the time. My employer provides an iPhone on AT&T’s First Net. Most places we camp are solid and sometimes I do use an amplifier. My problem is one place we camp is in a mountain valley and has a Verizon tower, nothing else, even amplified.

For about one week a year, I need access to Verizon for cell, text, and limited data.
I have two questions.

1. Is there a reasonable way to get a “burner” phone that will hotspot or mifi cheaply without a contract?

2. Can I connect my current phone to wifi calling and if so will texts come through also?

Thanks in advance. I’m somewhat text savvy, but far from an expert.
18 REPLIES 18

BarneyS wrote:
I second the suggestions made earlier to look at Visible phone service. We have been using them for about two years for both of our phones and have been very pleased with never had a problem.

They are owned by Verizon and can be used as hotspots. I use mine as a hotspot almost all summer as we spend it in the woods in upper Michigan. Unlimited everything with no throttling. They have some inexpensive phones available, or you can bring your own.
Barney

Barney and I are on the same Visible Party Pay Group. The hotspot feature is supposed to be limited to 5Mbps up/down 5G/4G mobile data for one connected device. But a check of my Visible hotspot speed indicated that I was getting this on the National Mall in DC from a MacPro:

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Get verizon as you private phone , lol. First net is getting better im told, but it was just plane bad when it came out. Its supost to piggyback on the verizon tower. Are you sure you would even have verizon? Lots of places I camp have nothing. You have to drive a bit to get service to answer calls. And, as others said, just tell someone else you will be put of the service area. It happens. I do it all the time. I do drive to check in on stuff and fix things once a day, but they can handle it.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I second the suggestions made earlier to look at Visible phone service. We have been using them for about two years for both of our phones and have been very pleased with never had a problem.

They are owned by Verizon and can be used as hotspots. I use mine as a hotspot almost all summer as we spend it in the woods in upper Michigan. Unlimited everything with no throttling. They have some inexpensive phones available, or you can bring your own.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
MrWizard wrote:
To the OP... You can't get 1 Week, where you are allowed the solace of being incommunicado?
Who would take over if you were unconscious in the hospital ?
I would tell them, the other guy can handle it,
If it's that desperate they can send a telegram ( they deliver those)
And you can drive out to where you have your AT&T signal
Or get a Satellite Phone, out going calls only, to call them after you get the telegram
They can pay for the equipment to keep in contact with you, or do without you for that week,
I'm stubborn like that,
My scheduled personal/family time is just that
Now if you are Ceo of your own business, and micro manage, then shell out the bucks to stay in contact

If it's literally vacation time, I get your point.

But a lot of folks are able to work remotely and are able to spend more time away from the office, so technology it not so bad.

Currently sitting in Sri Lanka after spending 3 months in Thailand. I have a meeting with Michigan in a few hours. Without the ability to work remotely, we'd have had to spend winter in the cold snowy north.

To the OP: Find the service provider that has coverage of the valley, buy a burner phone and get a month to month plan. Last spring we picked up an android phone for $25 and a month unlimited plan was $50 (yes, there is throttling after X GB but not a huge issue except for watching high resolution videos).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MrWizard
To the OP... You can't get 1 Week, where you are allowed the solace of being incommunicado?
Who would take over if you were unconscious in the hospital ?
I would tell them, the other guy can handle it,
If it's that desperate they can send a telegram ( they deliver those)
And you can drive out to where you have your AT&T signal
Or get a Satellite Phone, out going calls only, to call them after you get the telegram
They can pay for the equipment to keep in contact with you, or do without you for that week,
I'm stubborn like that,
My scheduled personal/family time is just that
Now if you are Ceo of your own business, and micro manage, then shell out the bucks to stay in contact
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Gde,

I don't "apple" anything.

I suppose some folks know how to do what you are suggesting on both platforms.

Thanks for letting us know it is possible.

I don't "apple" anything myself, but unfortunately I do have a lot of friends that are "apple folks" and when they can't figure out how to make their 100% apple world coexist with the rest of the world with non apple stuff they come to me for help.

Sometimes "google" and "youtube" can be very helpful to find fixes and workarounds also, as there is usually someone out there that has had the same exact problem and made a video on how to fix..

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
I didn't until my son gave me an iphone while I was in the hospital. It works every bit as well as an android phone.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gde,

I suppose some folks know how to do what you are suggesting on both platforms.

Thanks for letting us know it is possible.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
I got a prepaid ("burner") phone at the AT&T store and set up call forwarding from my Verizon number to the AT&T phone. Not sure if you can forward texts from your phone to the burner.

Unfortunately messages are NOT forwarded.

There is a "workaround" for forwarding text messages on a Iphone.

To do that you need a another Idevice with Imessages service setup to the same account as the Iphone. Then connect the other Idevice to a hotspot..

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would find another valley.
Puma 30RKSS

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's what I was thinking but never tried to do that. I still think that a hot spot that connects OP's phone to the web for wifi calling gives the best solution.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
BurbMan wrote:
I got a prepaid ("burner") phone at the AT&T store and set up call forwarding from my Verizon number to the AT&T phone. Not sure if you can forward texts from your phone to the burner.

Unfortunately messages are NOT forwarded.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Straight talk from WM for one month a year.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOL we had the reverse problem on LI...we have Verizon service but the only signal you can get on the beach is AT&T. I got a prepaid ("burner") phone at the AT&T store and set up call forwarding from my Verizon number to the AT&T phone. Not sure if you can forward texts from your phone to the burner. Verizon has prepaid phones too.

Option #2 is get a Verizon JetPack hot spot to connect you to the web and enable wifi calling on your AT&T phone, this has also worked well for us. Having your AT&T phone connected to wifi via hotspot also gives you chat, text and whatever else you need and is probably the best solution if you're hanging around the camper.

The prepaid burner phones are OK, but the minutes expire. Invariably I would wind up losing airtime because I wanted to be sure I had enough for the week, but the leftovers would expire before the next season's trip.

Another option is a signal booster on a long pole. I had a signal booster from Powerful Signal and a trucker's antenna that I mounted on a 30' telescoping flag pole. Bungess the pole to the RV ladder and the extra height let it "see" the signal I was looking for, then the booster would bring it in.