cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of changing from Verizon

ddferreira
Explorer
Explorer
I have had Verizon for years with no major issues. Thinking of changing to Consumer Cellular just for the price. Has anyone done this and were you happy with the results? { Price , coverage etc. }

Dan
Dan 2008 Allegro 32 BA FRED towing 2010 Honda Fit with a Ready Brake tow bar/braking system. There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't! :B
29 REPLIES 29

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The plans that run "on the Verizon network" do not always have the same coverage as Verizon customers get. Why? Because of roaming agreements with other carriers that are probably not included in the bargain carriers. Verizon is not "everywhere", but with roaming agreements, they appear to be. Straight Talk and others do not provide as much total coverage.

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
We have had Verizon, for 20 years. Mostly because of their good coverage. Have not used customer service much, but when we did we were satisfied with service...you do have to expect them to bug about upgrade. We do how to say know.
Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did not mean to imply that there was anything wrong with Verizon. We have been a customer for something like 15 years. T-Mobile is just substantially less expensive and the service has been comparable. All services are going to have weak points and voids but so far, I am saving a pile of money every month and my phone still rings!
Oh yeah, they were also offering a BOGO on the Samsung 9 which we wanted to upgrade from our Samsung 6's so that was a nice bonus.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote here for Verizon. I've received consistently good results almost anywhere in the country. I'm using a simple flip phone. They even lowered my monthly rate when I was going to experiment with another carrier (Consumer Cellular). I'm totally satisfied.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to stay on the Verizon network, check out totalwireless.com. It runs on the verizon network, and we pay about $62 per month for two lines sharing 15GB of data. We have been very pleased with the service.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just switched from Verizon to T-Mobile for the 55+ plan and I have been very happy so far. I am currently in a place where the T-Mobile internet service is not very good but this is a first having traveled from FL to TX and now Central Coast of CA. It's still usable but .5 up and 4.5 down makes it a bit painful. Luckily I also have an AT&T hotspot and it's getting 6 up and 26 down.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
We switched from Verizon to Ting 2-1/2 years ago. With 2 smart phones our average bill is $34.00 a month with the largest was $55.00 one month when on vacation. You pay for what you use so if you use a lot of data you'll pay more, but so far it's been great. They use both formats- I'm on GSM (ATT/T-Mobile) and my wife is on GSMA (Sprint/ Verizon/ US Cellular), so when one of us is in a dead zone, the other usually isn't. I'm not up to date, but looking at phones on their website it looks like the newer phones use both formats?? 2 of our adult daughters and their families and a sister-in-law also switched to Ting.
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I moved from Verizon to Straightalk using Verizon towers - didn't notice any difference except for reduced bill. I then migrated to Xfinity using Verizon tower. If your a low data user and already an Xfinity customer then your cell phone bill will likely be close to zero.
Kevin

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
I changed to Consumer Cellular from AT&T four years ago. I have unlimited voice and texts with a small 250MB data plan that satisfies my needs for only $28.31 per month. Good service with excellent coverage. In fact the rate went down nearly $10.00 per month last September. Much, much, cheaper than what I paid AT&T.

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been a Verizon customer for years but about 5 years ago I bought a phone for my wife from Consumer Cellular just to compare. Then we added our daughter about 2 years ago. Coverage is almost the same wherever we go and the bill is about half of my Verizon plan. I'm switching to CC as soon as possible.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Just make sure that you get coverage that you are happy with.
We switched from Verizon to T-Mobil and switched back a week later..Much better coverage from Verizon....especially in outlaying areas.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
swphotobug wrote:
We are ATT people but have always used MVNOs since their pricing is so much better and flexible. You just can't expect the same customer service.

List of United States mobile virtual network operators

I have been a Sprint customer for about 20 years. A couple of years ago I switched to Ting (MVNO that rides on Sprint). My monthly bill for 2 iPhone (already purchased) and 1 other non-smart phone is $50-$60/month (pay as you go, very little data). And the customer service is BETTER !

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the "off brands" (not Verizon or ATT) do piggyback on the "majors" cell towers. Others, out of a metropolitan area simply aren't that good, coverage wise.

My OPINION....if you travel cross country, or even state to state, stay with Verizon or ATT.

Irregardless, check things out before you switch.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I have CC using their ATT service. Same as when I had ATT. Their customer service is excellent. Beware they do try to get you on their T-mobile service,which has poor coverage where I go. Check the coverage maps.

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
We are ATT people but have always used MVNOs since their pricing is so much better and flexible. You just can't expect the same customer service.