cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Times Up, Told You So, DirecTV is Dead

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
AT&T is reportedly trying to sell DirecTV to private-equity investors just five years after buying the satellite provider. The negotiations with potential buyers come after millions of customers ditched DirecTV over the past two years, and could value DirecTV at much less than the $49 billion AT&T paid for it.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/08/att-reportedly-trying-to-sell-directv-after-massive-cust...

Millions cutting the cord, would not buy that expensive satellite dish..

:B
135 REPLIES 135

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
Youโ€™re a regular Nostradumbass. LOL

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Wow my thread has grown to 13 pages now.

Hard habits are hard to break and as one ages they tend to not to want change but change still happens..

Cars killed the horse and buggy.

Cell phones killed payphones and internet is killing traditional TV service.

And soon electric cars/trucks will kill the internal combustion engine.

:C

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
Maybe we can all pick up this discussion when Starlink is online and I can use it instead of Directv and AT&T Cell Internet.

That may be around 2026.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Done with you, not this thread. Enough said.
Thats 2x now. Wanna go for the Hat Trick?
Matthew 13.13
Just possibly it is time to advance to adulthood. Maybe we can all pick up this discussion when Starlink is online and I can use it instead of Directv and AT&T Cell Internet. With any luck Starlink will also come with improved customer service.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Thats 2x now. Wanna go for the Hat Trick?
Matthew 13.13

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
At least you got this right:

"The thread is entitled Times Up, Told You So, DirecTV is Dead"

How is Elon's replacement for DirecTV working for you TODAY?
billy wrote:
...I will no longer respond to or acknowledge...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I knew I could get you to respond even tho you claimed you were done with this thread!!! Credibility, indeed.

Please let me help you with understanding how the new Starlink system works; I think I can allay your fears. The future of technology is amazing.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:

Have you looked at Verizon's "Visible" subsidiary? Unlimited talk, text, and LTE data for as low as $25/month. Tethering is allowed...

Visible.com

Many years ago there was a company called "Millenicom" that bought Verizon bandwidth and resold it for data use - they provided a Verizon mifi and 20 GB of data per month for a reasonable fee (I forget what we were paying back then) but after some time Verizon saw that it was eating into their customer base so they put Millenicom out of business by cancelling their contract. I am hesitant to jump to another company that is using a third party bandwidth knowing that the third party can shut it down whenever they want. It doesn't matter to me if Verizon owns Visible - they can still shut it down at their discretion.

I had a Millenicom account almost as soon as they opened the doors and was caught short when their contract was cancelled. Of course Verizon could shut down Visible any time they want to, just like they can cancel their own direct plans with little notice. As long as Visible is making money for them though, there's little incentive to shut it down, unlike an MVNO making money that's not going in the Verizon pocket.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
I am hesitant to jump to another company that is using a third party bandwidth knowing that the third party can shut it down whenever they want. It doesn't matter to me if Verizon owns Visible - they can still shut it down at their discretion.

I used to have a Millenicom plan, and would probably sign up again. Diamonds are forever, but cell data plans? Not so much.

I've been using Visible for about a year and it's a good plan. Nothing spectacular, just ok. For me, speeds > 5 Mbps until the weekend when the tourists arrive in my campground. But I knew that would happen from the getgo.

Besides Visible, I have an AT&T Mobley and an expired 2016 40GB Verizon data plan. That 40GB is the most dependable . . . and, of course, the most expensive.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:

Have you looked at Verizon's "Visible" subsidiary? Unlimited talk, text, and LTE data for as low as $25/month. Tethering is allowed...

Visible.com

Many years ago there was a company called "Millenicom" that bought Verizon bandwidth and resold it for data use - they provided a Verizon mifi and 20 GB of data per month for a reasonable fee (I forget what we were paying back then) but after some time Verizon saw that it was eating into their customer base so they put Millenicom out of business by cancelling their contract. I am hesitant to jump to another company that is using a third party bandwidth knowing that the third party can shut it down whenever they want. It doesn't matter to me if Verizon owns Visible - they can still shut it down at their discretion.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
At least you got this right:

"The thread is entitled Times Up, Told You So, DirecTV is Dead"

How is Elon's replacement for DirecTV working for you TODAY?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
CFerguson wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Bill is even easier, more appropriate and more polite but you don't seem interested in either of the last 2.

More interested in them than you are of looking at the Facts in the links i have posted. Believing something because you have chosen to put Satellite in your name doesnt make you an expert on it. More data (in the guise of knowledgeable sources), less opinion supports a position. Or at least try to understand the tech of Starlink. I'd be glad to help you understand any of it youre having trouble with if youd ask.

I see you are simply going to continue to insult be so there is no further point trying to have an actual discussion. You appear to be the only one here saying you know it all despite the service not existing as of today (other than the Beta).
When the service becomes available we will finally be able to discuss reality and not how the service will work "on paper".
Price, speed, hardware, installation, mobility......so many questions.
Oh by the way, you may continue your insults but I will no longer respond to or acknowledge your pathetic attempts at degradation in hope of furthering your own self-worth.

The thread is entitled Times Up, Told You So, DirecTV is Dead. Speculation as to the reason why led us to one possibility, the looming dominance of orbital internet driven by the same model as cell towers.
You denied many aspects that have already been proven by the (small) constellation in orbit.
You deny proven speeds that beat your pet ideas of land based hardwired systems.
You refuse all offers to help you understand the math of the entire discussion.
Sure glad the Musks, Fords, Edisons et al didnt have that attitude. Being entrenched in old tech is a sure way to be left behind.

And my offer to help you understand what is happening with Starlink stands. Here, a dedicated thread, or PM. I really think you'll embrace it once you set aside any preconceived notions.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
If it is unlimited only to a specified cap, it is not really unlimited. Regardless of what marketing chooses to call it.

Doesn't matter if it's a marketing ploy or not - if it's all that's available we're stuck with it. Those of you with truly unlimited plans are fortunate, but those plans are no longer available for a reasonable price, so we peons must make do with what is available today, or wait until someone invents a time machine so we can go back in time and purchase one of those grandfathered "real unlimited" plans...

Visible.com
Dutch

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
If it is unlimited only to a specified cap, it is not really unlimited. Regardless of what marketing chooses to call it.

Unlimited data, not unlimited speed...
Dutch

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:

Doesn't matter if it's a marketing ploy or not - if it's all that's available we're stuck with it. Those of you with truly unlimited plans are fortunate, but those plans are no longer available for a reasonable price, so we peons must make do with what is available today, or wait until someone invents a time machine so we can go back in time and purchase one of those grandfathered "real unlimited" plans...
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004