Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tried to buy new computer

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Just need to vent...sorry.
Yesterdays ad for OfficeMax had a Dell Desktop with windows 7 that I was interested in. I called every store in my area and none had one in stock. I was finally told there were none in any of their Calif. warehouses. I went online and used the store locater and could not find a store in CA that had one. Can't order online, but ad stated "Special Order" in some areas. Store associate said it could not be ordered. I emailed OfficeMax and asked how I could get one. They told me they have to be purchased "in store" and there were some available in Texas! Now that's customer service!
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand
31 REPLIES 31

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Just ordered a new Toshiba with Win 7 Pro installed. They are online on sale. I didn't want to have to try to learn a complete new system and wanted something I could transfer some programs from my XP machine.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

sigman
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a Win 7 pro notebook from NEWEGG at a good price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-256-821&nm_mc=EMCPB-012014&cm_mmc=EMCPB-012014-_-PB-_-Item-_-34-256-821&et_cid=4207&et_rid=239847
2009 Montana 3585SA, 5th Airborne Pin Box.

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
Tom N wrote:
Anything with Win 7 is very old stock. Thus, very limited supply.

You can still buy a new Lenova laptop custom order with Win 7 so I know these are not old stock. I believe the same is true of Toshiba on certain models that are business oriented.

I have not bought a laptop in a brick and mortar store in many years because I can custom order and get exactly the options I want.

Dick
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
spadoctor wrote:
I have no use for anything Michael Dell makes after he laid off all his employees and moved to Mexico for a few extra bottom line bucks. And his practice of priority components.

the computer business is much like the retail grocery business... each operates on very thin margins. I agree with your sentiment and like to buy American when possible or practical. unlike China and VietNam at least Mexico is an actual democratically elected republic. we're on our second new Dell laptop. no issues with the first and, so far, no issues with the second.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
A 500GB solid state drive runs $300-$350. A plain Jane 500GB HD with platters in it can be had for about $60...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
MNtundraRet wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
I just got a brand new Toshiba Satellite C55D with Windows 8.1, 500 Gig HD, 4 Gig Ram, AMD E-class CPU. 1.4Ghz (AMD tends to run "Faster" than Intel for any given clock speed) 250 at Staples.. Alas, that was 2 weeks ago deal of the week. 15.6" wide screen, full size KB, Only two complaints.. one applies to nearly all Laptops. (Touchpad or glide pad type MOUSE, quickly fixed from stuff I had in stock) and no rear legs (I will get around to fixing that too) so I can't slant the KB the way I want.

Runs great.

An optical mouse with a USB bud is all you need to eliminate dealing with the pad. :B

Same as the commercial for used exercise equipment.

Why buy new (Windows8) when used will do (Windows7).

Two wrong things in your post.

First: Why buy a new 8 box when you can get a used 7 box? Well, a new 500 Gig hard drive can be purchased for 350 on at least one web site... I paid 250 for the entire computer DRIVE INCLUDED, that is 100 dollars LESS than just the drive,, If I wiped and pulled the drive and tossed the rest of it in the trash I'd have saved a hundred bucks.. That's the best argument for buying a new box I know.

Now the mouse: Optical, wireless (And wired) mouse and usb receiver already on hand and are working well.. BUT YOU NEED MORE.. you need F5 (or once I, or rather Toshiba fixed the keyboard, FN + F5) to turn off the @)(#@)*$#@(*$@ pad!,, Which of course was the first thing I did after the first power on.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Silverados are also built in Flint, MI and Ft Wayne, IN, as well as Mexico. If the first digit of the VIN number is 1, the truck is US built, 3 denotes a Mexican built vehicle.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
spadoctor wrote:
I have no use for anything Michael Dell makes after he laid off all his employees and moved to Mexico for a few extra bottom line bucks. And his practice of priority components.

You must not drive a truck put together in Mexico like my Chevrolet Silverado!

If you drive a Ford they have other vehicles put together there instead of trucks!

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
As someone who has worked on a couple of them, my advice would be to not buy a Dell. Many of them come stock with a ghost in the machine, if you get my drift.

Walmart versions or business versions? We have used many Dells ordered on the business side for 10+ years and the biggest repair we have ever had was a video card which was warranty replaced next day. Of course now that I have said this, when I go into the office tomorrow they will all die:B.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
As someone who has worked on a couple of them, my advice would be to not buy a Dell. Many of them come stock with a ghost in the machine, if you get my drift.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
bob213 wrote:
Gdetrailer..took your advice and ordered from Dell. I know Windows 7 is old but this computer is for my FIL. At 83, he's not big on change. Windows 7 will serve his purpose for as long as he will probably use it.
I just thought it was kind of crazy to advertise a computer that does not exist in Ca. and can't be ordered at the store.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Good deal and good luck!

Retail stores say, do, advertise anything to "lure" you in, in the past it was always called "bait and switch" unfortunately it is the business as usual mode. Pretty much the norm for these days.

Its not a good deal if you can't find it easily or end up spending a lot of travel time and gas to find it.

I rarely buy anything in the retail sticks and bricks anymore, been burned way to much, spent way to much time and gas money traveling from store to store. Each and every time coming out empty handed, more frustrated and less gas in the tank.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
spadoctor wrote:

Umm.. Sorry you don't like Mr. Dells actions, while it is regrettable to see jobs lost in the states BUT he and his company HAD to take action. Like any good company that wishes to stay a float in these rather difficult economic business times they HAD to make drastic and quick changes. Some of this comes from keeping investors happy with their investment returns and a lot of now days is trying to keep business expenses in line with the profits.

However not all that Dell makes has been sent outside the US, we are still getting Servers which are still assembled in the states. Not sure about Desktops since we use HP PCs for those..

There are a lot of comments I wouldn't mind making but they would drop into the abyss due to the fact that our country is a major anti business mode. When this happens SMART business MOVE their operations to where the business climate will support their further growth.

You DO have other options, perhaps HP? They still offer Business PCs with Win7 but like Dells you still have to order those, they are not sold in stores. On top of that there are thousands of small manufactures which build custom OEM and Embdeded application PCs to customer specifications (not cheap but effective). Just have to look outside the retail box...

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just know this - W8 needs a trash can, W7 is really worth the hassle.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic