cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV cable, Antenna, and Satelite hook up?

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
Antenna question: Our "new to me" 2003 Georgie Boy Pursuit we bought about two months ago has a crank up Satellite dish on the roof. Also has a old batwig crack up antenna too. Neither of these are hooked up right now. Also it appears the someone remove the antenna booster that came in the RV originally?

Question is: What do I need to do to hook this stuff up correctly?

I know I need to add a DirecTV receiver (which I have)

Do I need a new antenna booster for the batwig?

Should I run all the cables into a Winegard VS-5312A Video Switch Box?
2003 Georgie Boy Pursuit 35', V10 F53 Chassis
6 REPLIES 6

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The video switch allows each of the inputs to connect to any of the TVs.
One TV can be watching over the air, one could be watching from cable and one watch satellite. (not that this will happen).

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know much about how the motorhomes do their wiring and systems for HDTV but if your BATWING looks similar to this and has a larger base then the ANTENNA BOOSTER PRE-AMPLIFIER is located in this area not down inside the RV..

Then you would use a ANTENNA WALL PANEL that only controls the 12VDC going up the coax to the pre-amplifier located inside the BATWING antenna base...

This is what my BATWING crankup antenna looks like along with the DIPOLES added for better UHF operations..

My setup in my non-motorhome type RV unit uses an antenna control panel on the wall to support the batwing antenna...

Just passing this along to give you idea how yours might have been wired up at one time... I know the motorhomes deal with the SAT DISH setups more then the rest of us do...

I would not rule out the OTA BATWING operations however... Since the NATL BROADCAST has gone to the digital format the resulting HIGH DEF HDTV signals coming from the local towns are very nice to watch now... There is probably a time for both SAT and OTA HDTV operations... We get excellent results pointing the OTA BATWING UHF antenna at the local towns getting many full blown high definition HDTV signals...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
If there is only the sat receiver and the OTA batwing, why the video switcher ?
Why not just use the A/B switch built into the sat receiver.
If more things are involved, yes, the video switcher is nice.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, the Winegard video box is the way to go. You would then follow instructions to set up the cabling for your system.
Winegard VS5312A

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
The install for the Winegard VS-5312A says DON'T use the antenna booster because the box has a built in one?
2003 Georgie Boy Pursuit 35', V10 F53 Chassis

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you need a new antenna booster for the batwing antenna.

The easiest way to distribute the signals is a Video Switch Box (VSB).

Run the coax from the satellite dish to the receiver, then to the VSB.

Run the coax from the batwing antenna to the signal booster, then to the VSB.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB