Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using smart phone as a hot spot

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
Using smart phone as a hot spot

I am getting ready to dump Sprint and go to Verizon with a Galaxy 7 for a hot spot, eliminating the need for my curing Spring hot spot and cell phone. I was reedy to do the transfer when a Verizon representative informed me this was not a good idea and that using the Galaxy 7 with a non-replaceable battery was not good and that I should use a separate device for a hotspot. I am so confused over this as I have never owned a smart phone. Any help would be appreciated.

r0nโ€ฆ.
54 REPLIES 54

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
One problem with using your phone as a hotspot is if you use a Sleek type amplifier. Since the phone is in a cradle, unless you have a bluetooth headset, it may be difficult to use it as a phone...
It is. I have to sit next to it and talk using speakerphone. I avoid using voice all I can.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
One problem with using your phone as a hotspot is if you use a Sleek type amplifier. Since the phone is in a cradle, unless you have a bluetooth headset, it may be difficult to use it as a phone...

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
... Plus I am not now connected at the hip to Verizon for two years even though I still use their cell network. And I like the Lexus phone better than my Samsung.

I don't have a contract with Verizon either but don't see any true advantage to it over having a contract since I still use my phone on Verizon's network. I suppose it means I could switch to another network anytime but since I consider VZ best for my needs, I probably would never switch.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
camper_ron wrote:
Anyway thank you all for the help, so I think I will actually get a 2 year plan and pay the $199 for the galaxy s7 then use it as a hot spot.
Don't let your objective of getting a wi-fi hotspot overshadow the options available to you in getting a phone (see my earlier post about my Nexus 5).

I found buying a phone outright was cheaper than the Verizon 2-year contract plus up front cost of a phone. Plus I am not now connected at the hip to Verizon for two years even though I still use their cell network. And I like the Lexus phone better than my Samsung.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd see if I could get a better deal on the S6. It has a replaceable battery.

I use S4's myself. They can get quite hot.

camper_ron wrote:
Wow, I was surprised to see all theses responses as the web site never sent me a notice even though I actually signed up for responses with email verification. Anyway thank you all for the help, so I think I will actually get a 2 year plan and pay the $199 for the galaxy s7 then use it as a hot spot.

r0nโ€ฆ.:B
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I was surprised to see all theses responses as the web site never sent me a notice even though I actually signed up for responses with email verification. Anyway thank you all for the help, so I think I will actually get a 2 year plan and pay the $199 for the galaxy s7 then use it as a hot spot.

r0nโ€ฆ.:B

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
JiminDenver wrote:
I think any more they say using your phone to connect another device to the internet is not allowed.
Perfectly fine on my phone.

Fine on my phones too but I won't have a plan that doesn't include tethering/hotspot. Otherwise I would switch my 10 gig Cricket plan with hotspot to the unlimited plan and go to town.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
I think any more they say using your phone to connect another device to the internet is not allowed.
Perfectly fine on my phone.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I think any more they say using your phone to connect another device to the internet is not allowed. or data for use on this device only to cover all of their tracks.

I wonder if they have like a detective division that does nothing but look for tethering activity.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
And nobody ever says tether when talking about their tablet or notebook at the Starbucks or the campground
True, but word meanings do change over time, usually to become obfuscated.

Tetherball is where a ball is physically tied to a pole, so tethering a computer would obviously mean a cord is involved. I've never used 'tether' to mean wireless either, and I don't hear anyone say that about wifi. A wireless mouse is not tethered to my computer.

Another one is 'flat screen' TV. When the LCDs first came out, the industry called them flat panel TVs, because flat screen was already available in a CRT. And since CRTs had never been flat, that was an apt description. LCD TVs are (were) by definition flat, so it's kinda redundant to call them 'flat screen'.

MrWizard
The phone companies use it because it is one word 'Umbrella'
Saying don't do this or pay
That doesn't change the fact , that wifi does not use a cable
And nobody ever says tether when talking about their tablet or notebook at the Starbucks or the campground
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
to Tether is to use a USB cable and the phone becomes a MODEM
not a wifi hotspot...
That was true at one time but the wireless community considers even wireless connections to a smartphone as tethering. Most of the sellers/resellers have specific language in their terms of service that spell out if they allow it or if they charge extra for it like the info I posted earlier from Cricket's website.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
OK, Time to make notes.
I have been doing this for a number of years with a number of handsets, but only two carries. That was AT&T and Verizon. I am still (back with) Verizon because of coverage issues. The carriers in the 1X days didn't mind the tethering (that was all there was and can you sppeelll Ssllooww.... Early in the 3G days, Verizon offered a hotspot service. They wanted 30$ a month for the service, and the data use charge. I was grandfathered into the unlimited data plan, but that was still 60$/mo. I had been using a tether (EasyTether?) and wanted out of it. That is when I found FoxFi. At that time, the cost was ~10$. (Let's see 10$ once verses 30$/month forever??) I had to back out of the unlimited plan recently because Verizon changed the price and now the cost/benefit was wrong. So, at home I live with a 3 gig plan and only bump it up to a 6 or more when we are actually traveling.

Now, there are some drawbacks, as noted, you loose the wire when you talk on the phone and it will kill the battery in the handset. So, you don't answer the phone (unless you have to) and you connect the handset to power. If you are in a car, you get a DC mousehole charger.

There are now competing apps to Foxfi, but I haven't looked and do not know the costs.

Then, I you really want it to work, you go get the proper Wilson repeater/booster and use that. The handset battery is still an issue, but much less and the connection is way more solid (and faster).

I was recently tried to help a friend with the Alfa WiFi that has traveled with us for years only to find it to be dead. I will not replace it as the ROI is just not there anymore.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
On Cricket you have to have either the 5 gig or 10 gig plan with the right phone and pay to have the hotspot turned on. There is a list of hotspot enabled phones on their website. They charge a extra $10 a month to use the feature.

Cricket a reseller, don't kid yourself. Cricket is owed lock, stock and barrel by AT&T.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
If you get a JetPack from Verizon, it doesn't have a replaceable battery either. I'm using the Ellipses Tablet VZ gave me when I switched from Sprint for a hotspot. Works fine. I also use it for navigation (Co-pilot), road alerts (Waze), finding gas stations (Gas Buddy) and finding campgrounds and rest stops (Allstays). Stopped using the JetPack almost immediately. The tablets actually gets a better signal.

You can also get something like THIS to power a device without AC. I got one for free as a BMW promo.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox