cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon cell signal lost at night

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I’m having a curious situation with my cell phone that often occurs late at night. I’ve had Verizon for years, and it’s always been great. Lately I find that if I need to make a call later at night the call doesn’t go through and I get a message that “cell service not available”. The phone shows a strong signal (5 Bars). I needed to make an emergency call about 12:30 AM and couldn’t . This has never happened before to my knowledge. I’d prefer not to change providers, but if this continues I may need to. I’m wondering if any of you have had a similar experience?

I plan on contacting Verizon, but decided to post this thread first. In a late night emergency, the phone could prove useless.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
26 REPLIES 26

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
cell signal problems may be because of the installation of 5g in your area they have construction projects at most all the cell sites around me and many new sites.
my internet connection through my phone has been very slow at my house lately but 50mi south at my seasonal camp site its super fast i think its because there working on the cell site close to my house.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I just had hotel staff move my landline phone to a more accessible location. Not perfect but workable.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I would ask how strong the signal is. If you have an Android there is an app (Network signal info) that gives a much more precise measurement than 1-2-3-4-5 bars.

There are some differences in how radio signals travel (Propagate) between day and night. If you are "on the ragged edge" this might be enough to matter

Yesterday I went and did the electronic paperwork for my new residence since this motor home is totaled.... When I got back my T-Mobile was not working.

Had to Reboot it . And then 4 Bars (Strong signal).

Thanks for the suggestion, wa8yxm. I just installed the app and it's working fine. It shows a max strength signal at this time, but could change late at night. At least I can check it now.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Are you operating off your Verizon signal, or (possibly inadvertently) off of a wifi signal? To check, turn off the wifi on your phone. If you are using a wifi signal off of a router, the router may be shutting you down.

Otherwise, do a hard power down on the phone, leave it off a few minutes, and restart. You may be in need of a system update that is waiting for a restart.

Also see if this varies with location. Inside, outside, far enough away to run off of a different tower... all those variables.

And, make sure you are not set to global service vs LTE.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the good suggestions friends. I'll try out those suggestions when necessary. Problem is, in a real emergency, following through takes precious time.

Why don't I use the land line phone in my room? Because It isn't readily accessible and I'm handicapped and use a wheelchair. The phone has been put in an inaccessible place and disconnected so I'm not bothered by calls when I'm sleeping. I mainly rely on my cell phone, which has always been reliable until now.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Did you check with any friends/neighbors who have Verizon to see if they have a similar problem?
It could be something with your particular phone?

It's probably best to contact VERIZON. Apparently there are several things that can cause your problem.

That's a good suggestion, but I'm living in a long-term hotel at this time and not too familiar with the neighbors.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried putting your phone in "Airplane" mode for a few minutes? This causes renegotiation with the towers and sometimes produces good results.

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
Some may laugh, however,...reboot your phone...
It needs that once a week, like sweeping out your house. YMMV
Inquiring minds want to know...

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Cell phones are weird. I have 4 bars in the front of my house. 20 feet down the hall: nothing. Call Verizon. they will probably say they can't explain it.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
If your phone is older, you might experience weird actions. I find that I have to restart my phone more often now that it is older. It will start dropping calls or having calls not go through. I can restart and it works fine after that for a while and then happens again. Seems to be about every three weeks or so right now.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would ask how strong the signal is. If you have an Android there is an app (Network signal info) that gives a much more precise measurement than 1-2-3-4-5 bars.

There are some differences in how radio signals travel (Propagate) between day and night. If you are "on the ragged edge" this might be enough to matter

Yesterday I went and did the electronic paperwork for my new residence since this motor home is totaled.... When I got back my T-Mobile was not working.

Had to Reboot it . And then 4 Bars (Strong signal).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check with any friends/neighbors who have Verizon to see if they have a similar problem?
It could be something with your particular phone?

It's probably best to contact VERIZON. Apparently there are several things that can cause your problem.