cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vipre or McAfee ??

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
It's time once again to renew my internet security software.

I'm currently running Vipre Internet Security 2014.

I did an online search for the the top rated software & came up with Vipre being rated # 1 on one site & McAfee way down on that list.

Another site rated McAfee # 1 with Vipre way down on the list.

Aside from cost & believe me, there is a significant difference. Amazon is running a promo for McAfee that is about 1/3 cost of Vipre. Cost is not as important to me as performance is.

Here's my question & this is between the two I have mentioned, I'm not really interested in any other software providers @ this time.

Which one would you choose ? Vipre Internet Security 2015 with password vault as an add-on or McAfee Total Protection 2015 ? :h
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74
29 REPLIES 29

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
Rainier wrote:
If it's Microsoft, go with Microsft Security Essentials. It's free and designed specifically for their OS.

X2
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dakota98 wrote:
It's time once again to renew my internet security software.

I'm currently running Vipre Internet Security 2014.

I did an online search for the the top rated software & came up with Vipre being rated # 1 on one site & McAfee way down on that list.

Since the early days of Anti-Malware I have long suspected the publishers of... Well.. Illegal activity.

I am told, by someone who claims to know, that in the case of McCaffey my suspicions were well grounded. (NOTE this has nothing to do with HIS legal problems.. I'm talking about the company here)

Thus McCaffee is on my black list,,, always has been, always will be.

What I use is what I describe as ONION level security...
Layer upon layer upon layer
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Started with Norton many years ago when it came with one of those Cow computers (Gateway). Never, never again. It was a hugely bloated program that slowed down the computer, and it was almost impossible to clean out of the system when we switched anti virus.

Used McAfee for about many years because it was provided by my employer since I had outside access to their server. Worked ok. Got hit by a couple of Trojans or virus. They did a good job of customer support. It did take system resources but not as bad as Norton.

Wife bought a new computer two years ago from Best Buy that came with a year of free Kaspersky for three computers. I switched my computer over when McAfee subscription expired. It is almost invisible. Get the occasional warning message on the Internet. Doesn't seem to us many resources.

Did get hit once by some ugly bug that disabled Kaspersky. Their customer support was amazing. They took control of my computer and worked for almost two hours putting things right. I sat there for about an hour watching what they were doing and where they were going. I go back all the way to Windows 3.0 and couldn't believe how deep the tech dug into the operating system. I did ask a couple of technical questions which were answered.

We spend too much time on the Internet banking, buying and selling and have a website. Just don't to rely of something that is free with no personal tech support.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

SCR
Explorer
Explorer
If someone produced the "Perfect AV" they would need a server the size of a stadium to accommodate the demand.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
covetsthesun wrote:
Dakota98 wrote:

Thank you for the information, it was in my opinion very helpful.

Appears that Kaspersky has the best overall scores & cost is pretty much the same.

While Kaspersky has the best overall scores... I've had it for years and some pretty irritating bugs have sailed right by. The viruses that got through disabled some functions on my computer and took some time to clean up.

Kas isn't perfect...but none of them are.
cts

I downloaded the free trial today. I'm going to give it a try & go from there. As you said & I agree, NONE are perfect.

2006 POLARIS ATV
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:

Appears that Kaspersky has the best overall scores & cost is pretty much the same.

While Kaspersky has the best overall scores... I've had it for years and some pretty irritating bugs have sailed right by. The viruses that got through disabled some functions on my computer and took some time to clean up.

Kas isn't perfect...but none of them are.
cts

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer

2006 POLARIS ATV
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never used Vipre, but will never go back to McAfee. It's not the same caliber of software it was when John McAfee was around.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

My suggestion is to do the research. Here are some independent security organizations that both manufacturers and publications, such as PC Mag has referenced in evaluations of AV software.

The following is the most recent test data for Real-World Malware Protection using Windows 7.

From AV-TEST.org:

From AV-Comparatives.com:

From AV-Comparatives data, Vipre apparently wasn't much better in real-world protection than the free out of the box solutions from Microsoft. Rating second to the bottom, scoring only higher than Lavasoft.

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
Rainier wrote:
If it's Microsoft, go with Microsft Security Essentials. It's free and designed specifically for their OS.

I would not recommend MSE at all. The top security testing organizations have consistently rated MSE at the bottom of current major AV packages for the past couple of years. Something even an MS security rep has apparently admitted when questioned why MSE performed so poorly in protection. Even going so far as suggesting that MSE should be considered a baseline, and to use another AV package.

If you have any links to recent data that shows MSE to offer similar protection with current popular AV software, please post it? Haven't seen any recent reports to suggest otherwise in several years?

Ditto on MSE! I thought I'd be "frugal" and use MSE... my machine got so infected I literally had to jerk the plug out of the wall! The stuff was coming up on the screen lightning fast. Took it to the Geeks where it lived for a few weeks trying to clean it all out. Have steered away from anything FREE ever since. We use Kaspersky, but have had more than a few episodes of infection with them too. I'm ready to switch to something that's better.
cts

Rainier wrote:

I would not recommend MSE at all. The top security testing organizations have consistently rated MSE at the bottom of current major AV packages for the past couple of years. Something even an MS security rep has apparently admitted when questioned why MSE performed so poorly in protection. Even going so far as suggesting that MSE should be considered a baseline, and to use another AV package.

If you have any links to recent data that shows MSE to offer similar protection with current popular AV software, please post it? Haven't seen any recent reports to suggest otherwise in several years?

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of like Ford / Chevy / Dodge debate IMO. There are a lot of good antivirus programs out there.

I used and liked McAfee for years but got tired of it tying up my system. Now use Malwarebytes and Avira.

Best protection is to not go to or click on unknown sites or links!

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
Grandpere wrote:
Vipre is your best bet, been using it for 10 years and no problems.

Vipre here. Been using it at home and work (8 computers) for a long time. No viruses yet. Stay with what you know.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Kaspersky. http://malwaretips.com/threads/kaspersky-internet-security-vs-mcafee-internet-security.43026/ I can provide more reviews if needed.