cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do I need??? television questions

nvreloader
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting several new Flat screen TV's for both the house and RV use etc.

What do I need to have for the 24-28" RV TV work without any problems, I will be using the solar setup to run this TV, 99.9% of the time.

What I am referring to is the type of plugs, cables etc (on the TV) to make sure I get the correct tv for the RV use at this time, using DirecTV dish/SD programing etc.

Is there anything I should be aware of as far as hooking up the NEW Flat Screen TV?

Everything I have is very OLD SCHOOL, a cable from the ant to the dish reciever then a cable to the TV, clean and simple.

From what I have seen so far, it appears there are several plugs/cables on the new stuff etc.

Tia,
Don
2010 F-350,6.4PSD, 6spd man trans,CC,SWB,SRW, Caravan camper shell,50 gal bed tank,17,000lb Husky WD hitch,Northwoods 2008 28KS Desert Fox Toy Hauler,2005 Honda 500 Rubicon ATV w/rumble seat,1 Aussie waiting,watching and ridin shotgun on the whole outfit.
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Short answer: Old School works.

Longer answer.. For the MAIN TV (The one next to the sat receiver) You might want to add an HDMI cable from the Sat Receiver (IF it has HDMI out) to the TV, or if not then a set of RCA cables, either 3 or 5 depending on the TV's inputs and the Sat receivers out.. here is the logic tree

IF all they have in common is A/V (Red/Yellow/White color coded RCA (Phono) jacks labeld L-R and Video (Yellow is video)) then RCA 3-cable set, You can get a set of 3 bonded, and color coded, And may already have such a set in the box your sat receiver came in

If you have a set of jacks labeled with Pb Py and I forget what else, then five RCA bacles (A set of 3 and a set of 2) the 2 are audio L&R

IF you have a mini-DIN.. S-Video works too (But frankly the others are better)

And if both have HDMI, then HDMI cable

Except for S-Video, which frankly I do not recommend.... The farther down the list.. Get the bottom cable that both have in common.

But the old school will work for the remote TV

One other thing: SOME TV's (one of mine) can do "Time shifting" that is I can pause a program while I run to the radio room ,,,,re, you know what room you run to... and continue when I return

PROVIDED.. I have a USB thumb drive plugged ito it. Read your owner's manual, you can always plug in later.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Some Insignia brand TVs sold by Best Buy will run on 12 volt. Make sure that the TV your interested in has a power adapter and that it is 12 volt DC out.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

nvreloader
Explorer
Explorer
I spent a hour or so looking for 12v Flat screen TV's. There is not a large selection in the 24-32" size, lots of the 7-15" size for on the go truckers etc.

The ones I did find were off the wall brands, nothing from the major brand source.

As noted above, I guess I need to get a small inverter, less than 500 watt, to run a TV.

Back to the drawing board for more planning etc.

Tia,
Don
2010 F-350,6.4PSD, 6spd man trans,CC,SWB,SRW, Caravan camper shell,50 gal bed tank,17,000lb Husky WD hitch,Northwoods 2008 28KS Desert Fox Toy Hauler,2005 Honda 500 Rubicon ATV w/rumble seat,1 Aussie waiting,watching and ridin shotgun on the whole outfit.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Getting a small inverter (300 watts) will solve the problem for any TV when on battery power.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Many brands come with a power brick and eat 12 volt

The SAMSUNG eats 14 volts (Power brick) making it a 1st class choice since 12 volt is within the range of 14-20% to 14+20%
This may have been true when you bought your TVs, but that is not the case now, at least in the 24" to 28" range. The Samsungs with a brick run on 19 volt. Non of the major brands that I checked run on 12 volt. As I stated earlier, if there is a brick, check the voltage. If it's 12 volt, your good to go.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have 3 different brands of flat screens here, SANSUI, Samsung and Dynex (The first and 3rd share some remote codes not all, just enough to make my life much easier)

All 3 work well in the RV on 120 vac.. The Dynex only eats 120, forget what the Sansui eats but think it takes 120 as well.

Many brands come with a power brick and eat 12 volt

The SAMSUNG eats 14 volts (Power brick) making it a 1st class choice since 12 volt is within the range of 14-20% to 14+20%

Some posters are convinced that running their 12 volt flatscreens on 13.6 or more (Equlization charges can hit 16 volts) has damaged them.. Thus the 14 volt Samsung models would be my recommendation.. I have not hooked mine to the House power yet though, still running on shore power.

YOU will need to make sure you have the right power plug easiest way to do this is to take either the power brick or better yet both it and the TV to radio shack (Leave TV in car for now) and use their power tip selector. Handy if all TV's take the same tips.

Advantage of one brand.. Fair chance they will take same REMOTES.

Fact: I got the two "S" models at Wal*mart one was a "Black friday" special and the Samsung was a "Scratch and dent/floor model" Special.. They had lost the remote.. The first replaced an older, analog only, Samsung flat screen that basically quit on me,, When I sent it to a recycler, I kept the remote though. Dang if the new one does not use the same remote. Very handy.

The big Dynex shares a few codes with teh Sansui too, Just enough (Power and volume) to make my life easier. as my DVR's control only power and volume on the TV. (I have two networked DVR's that do magic for me, like record in the bedroom, watch in the living room, download to tablet and take anywhere)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Not many of the newer 24" to 28" TVs will run on 12 volt. Also, if it has a power brick, don't assume that it runs on 12 volt. My 26" LG runs on 24 volt. Be sure to check the voltage output of the brick.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi,

Many tv's work on 12 volt dc. Look for one that has an external "power brick".
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
If the satellite receiver is high definition, connect it to the TV with a HDMI cable. If you have other devices such as DVD or Blu-Ray it's nice to have a TV with multiple HDMI inputs. If the TV does not have enough inputs, you can always add a HDMI switch.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't need anything new or anything different. It's the TV's that need to be new but otherwise, everything you are currently using for OTA TV will work just fine.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?