cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WiFi Camera always late to the action

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
I have this nagging question about wifi security cameras. My current sticks & bricks system is an Arlo setup with several cameras. They work well to a point. But sadly my issue is, by the time the camera connects to the wifi network, the movement that triggered it is long gone. It's a common problem, but enough to render this system as a toy more than a security device.

What I'm looking for is a WiFi camera that immediately begins spooling (recording) to internal memory at the moment it's triggered. The internal memory would forward the recording upon connection to the network. This would eliminate any lag in what the camera sees.

I've looked around for a good place to pose this question and hope for a source, and this board is full of some pretty bright minds, so I tossed it out here first.

Any suggestions to a system I described would be very welcomed - Thanks all.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292
23 REPLIES 23

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We use Arlo among others. Your field of view may be too narrow. Back out and widen it some. Turn off sound from you. Leave sound on from the camera. Invest in a couple of WiFi extenders. We routinely catch the yard maintenance people on their riding mower. We capture cats, kids, and dogs passing through the yard. We even capture a possum making his nightly rounds of the neighborhood pet food bowls. There is a delay of about 2 second between when our AC kicks on and when I hear it in live view.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Ring works great. No delay, videos stored on remote server so nobody can get them even if they get into your house.
2010 Suncruiser

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
As you all know, M44 is not very technical minded. But, to me, it would make sense to install in instant capture camera that can record to a flash card then send to a SSD or a phone a delayed WIFI signal - like a time-lag. Then you would have instant record, miss nothing, and still have the WIFI signal send it to a more secure device elsewhere or direct to your phone.

That might take a minute or to before WIFI kicks in, but not enough time for a 'bad guy' to find and destroy a recording before it sent the signal out.

Maybe I'm missing something? Probably ๐Ÿ™‚

I do know even ten years ago, we could shoot and record action images on the baseball field - and manually upload and send to our editors via WIFI right in the camera ... it took a few minutes, but that's it - the editor would have the image almost immediately after the shot.

I can imagine that technology is quite a bit advanced nowadays. And motion activated - instant on - record - send, and I'd imagine instant record should be available in a fixed security camera even if it waits a few seconds to actually connect to the WIFI service and send video.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
I have a cheap $20 Merkury camera I bought at Wal Mart that does not have any of the issues you are having. It's color, reactive, 2 way communication, has an app, I get real time alerts etc. Frankly I was amazed how well it works for $20. Your Arlo Cameras are rated pretty well. My guess would be the problem is your wifi, not your camera - or how they are set up.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ranger Smith wrote:
Same here . . . No delay with nest.
I even capture cars driving by.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It depends more on the speed of your pipe than the camera.

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I don't notice big delays in my Nest cameras

Same here . . . No delay with nest.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't notice big delays in my Nest cameras
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Moultrie or stealth, game cameras. They are cellular, can be set to upload instantly, can take videos and are a lot cheaper.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo