cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WiFi Issues

aabear54
Explorer
Explorer
Now that ATT seems to have abandoned the 12 month yearly WiFi data plan and after I had spent $400 for a Winegard RV ToGo WiFi extender, what are you guys doing for your WiFi (other than relying on the campground)?
We just updated our rig with new Smart TVโ€™s.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
21 REPLIES 21

FishnFun
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased and received a new jet pack 8800l. The visible says the iMei isnโ€™t compatible? Any one have this issue?

UPDATE: I gave my iPhone info and they will be sending SIM card.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishnFun wrote:
I was hoping to utilize the Togo Device since it has worked well for us, in addition to buying more time before making additional hardware investment prior to a stronger 5g
Industry presence. Looks like the mifi 8800l is the latest Verizon jet pack @200$. Can you start and stop service with Visible without penalty?

Visible is prepaid month to month, so yes, you can drop it and restart as needed.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

FishnFun
Explorer
Explorer
I was hoping to utilize the Togo Device since it has worked well for us, in addition to buying more time before making additional hardware investment prior to a stronger 5g
Industry presence. Looks like the mifi 8800l is the latest Verizon jet pack @200$. Can you start and stop service with Visible without penalty?

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for Visible from Verizon at $25 for unlimited LTE data. I moved our Visible phone SIM to a Verizon 7730L Jetpack that doesn't have the 1 user limit that the Visible phones do. We also have a grandfathered AT&T Mobley Connected Car unlimited data plan with the SIM installed in a Netgear Unite Explore hotspot. Everywhere we've been one or the other has worked well and we've never been without service. Our recently installed aimable dual antenna MIMO setup has gotten us even better speeds so far.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
In the past, if you had AT&T phone service, a faster than McDonalds WiFi service was available at many of their facilities. Don't know if the service still exists.

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Look at visible.com. Join a 4 person group $25 a month Verizon service, pick a phone use it as a hot spot or tether it to a mobile router, thatโ€™s how we do it
Winnebago Access 24V

MrWizard
You can call it what you want
But it was supplied to MacD and places like Starbucks or a college campus
Not sold to individuals as Wi-Fi service
Institutional not public
Not a subscription Wi-Fi service
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
MrWizard wrote:
AT&T never sold Wi-Fi

NOT TRUE.
For many years I was an AT&T internet subscriber and if I stopped into say a McDonalds I was able to log in to AT&T WI-Fi for free and use it there.... This was before McD's started paying for it.

So they did sell Wi-Fi. Same with several other Hot Spots. T-mobile also had a "Hot-spot" program and if I was in the right spot I could log into T-Mobile's internet via Wi-Fi. NO Cellular device needed in either case.

However most of those hotspots are not provided by the Store free now

At McD's originally AT&T log in got me faster speeds and no time out timer. McD's log in timed out. as (been about a decade)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

FishnFun
Explorer
Explorer
I am also looking for the most economical option to replace my now obsolete "too good to be true" AT&T plan for TOGO. Cricket Data plan does look the most promising cost wise but since the 100gb cost is more than our Florida sticks/brick plan, I would want to only purchase this for mobile internet by the month for when we travel or are Up North. But I am told that any 30+ day service interruption requires new Sim card to reactivate, Arghhh!

MrWizard
AT&T never sold Wi-Fi
They do sell hotspots data plans
AT&T SIM CARD in your Winegard uses Cellular data connection to provide you with a local in RV Wi-Fi network
You need a new data plan from AT&T or T-Mobile
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
AT&T never sold Wi-Fi
They do sell hotspots data plans
AT&T SIM CARD in your Windguard uses Cellular data connection to provide you with a local in RV Wi-Fi network
You need a new data plan from AT&T or T-Mobile
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok changed locations today (I mentioned that where I was T-Mobile phone gave me like 50-60 Mbps download but I was lucky to get 20 out of the Sprint MI-Fi from FMCA Tech connect.

Well The MI-Fi just broke 60 Mbps where Im parked. that is 6 megabytes per second

Sprint and T-mobile have merged But it seems the towers have yet to merge.

FMCA Tech Connect is 50 bucks plus 50/month (Slightly rounded)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Many people confuse WiFi with Cellular data.
Cell phones will use cellular signal for connection to the internet, but if you have a laptop you will need a WiFi network to connect to.

Easy to do, especially when devices like the Winegard ToGo combine both functions in the same box.

If you have a good campground WiFi (highly UNLIKELY) then it act basically as a WiFi repeater/booster. If you have no campground WiFI, but have a cellular data plan and the SIM installed then it acts like a "hot spot".

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me most people know the difference between their ISP and cellular provider.
Both have the same problem. Bandwidth. At any RV park I have been to in the last few years the minimalistic plan the Park provides for Wifi only works well if you get up real early!