cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WIFI Light Switch

jisaiah14
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone! Been on and off the forums for a while now, but this is my first post.

I have a 2018 Big Country 4011ERD and I am looking to add some simply smart functions to it starting with the lights. I was wondering if anyone knows of any WIFI switches that would be direct replacements for the standard light switches. If not, does anyone know of any WIFI switches that will work as replacements? I have about 6 light switches I will want to upgrade.

Thanks for any and all help in advance!
28 REPLIES 28

Explorer II
Explorer II
shastagary wrote:
or these rf remote switches
LOL
I pointed this one out to my wife and she says She Wants That. So I'll be the guinea pig and let you know how well they work. I'm ordering the 10 module package
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Explorer II
Explorer II
shastagary wrote:

Do you happen to have a link to the RF switches?

rf switches like these rf remote switches amazon could work there are a lot of different ones available like another person said you may have to put the relay switch boards behind the light fixture and leave the regular light switches to work normally. the remote switches would work with the normal light switches in the off position then.

There are 2 wires at the light fixture, ground and 12V when the light switch is ON. There is no 12V when the light switch is OFF.

Leave the switch on to use the controller. You would have to put a local manual switch at the fixture to turn on the light if the controller fails
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer

rf switches like these rf remote switches amazon could work there are a lot of different ones available like another person said you may have to put the relay switch boards behind the light fixture and leave the regular light switches to work normally. the remote switches would work with the normal light switches in the off position then.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Another problem you may have is ground is generally not carried to the switches. Most controllers, be it WiFi, BT, IR, or whatever will require both 12V and ground. They might require 3.3V or 5V.

However, both 12V and ground can usually be found at the light fixture when the switch is on. You might be able to find small low side controllers and tuck them behind the light fixture on the ceiling.

If you have a switch that controls numerous lights, locate the controller at the 1st light fixture to control them all.
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

jisaiah14
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I have not seen Wi-Fi switches for 12 volt. 120 yes 12 no.

I've seen RF-Remote for 12 volt.. But not Wi-Fi.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have not seen Wi-Fi switches for 12 volt. 120 yes 12 no.

I've seen RF-Remote for 12 volt.. But not Wi-Fi.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jisaiah14
Explorer
Explorer
belairbrian wrote:
If you want to use only wifi, you would leave the switch on and put the controller wither before teh switch (better) or after it (likely easier).

If you put it before the switch, you can have the controller on but the switch would still turn them on and off (as would wifi). After the switch, would work much the same, but turning the switch off would likely require turning on the switch and turning on by wifi (the controller would loose power and would either revert to it's default state or remember last state, realy depends on the internal design of the controller).

All the controller is is a wifi controlled switch. So you are in effect putitng two sitches in series.

I would most likely put it after the switch as that would be easier and I could keep the switch on all the time with no issues (the RV stays hooked up to shore power anyways). Just need to find a switch that will work and one that is small enough so 5 could fit in the same compartment (or a couple of switches that could have multiple of the light switches wired into it).

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to use only wifi, you would leave the switch on and put the controller wither before teh switch (better) or after it (likely easier).

If you put it before the switch, you can have the controller on but the switch would still turn them on and off (as would wifi). After the switch, would work much the same, but turning the switch off would likely require turning on the switch and turning on by wifi (the controller would loose power and would either revert to it's default state or remember last state, realy depends on the internal design of the controller).

All the controller is is a wifi controlled switch. So you are in effect putitng two sitches in series.
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

jisaiah14
Explorer
Explorer
belairbrian wrote:
Have you considered using light controllers vs switches.

There are LED controllers that go between the power source and the light fixture.
Typically operate on 5-28v. The module would be powered by the 12v to the light fixture.

So you can put it inline between the switch and the fixture. But you will need to use LED bulbs if you aren't already.

Here's an example.
Ignore thw power brick as the RV 12v system repalces it.

***Link Removed***

Would a controller work for the switch itself? There are roughly 15 lights going to all the switches I am wanting to make WiFi controlled.

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered using light controllers vs switches.

There are LED controllers that go between the power source and the light fixture.
Typically operate on 5-28v. The module would be powered by the 12v to the light fixture.

So you can put it inline between the switch and the fixture. But you will need to use LED bulbs if you aren't already.

Here's an example.
Ignore thw power brick as the RV 12v system repalces it.

LED controllers
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

jisaiah14
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
If this is the standard 12 volt lighting used in most RV's, that adds a different level of complexity in finding a WiFi accessible switching system. Most of the WiFi remote switches on the market are for 120 volt use and are powered by 120 volts.

Yes it is 12v.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
If this is the standard 12 volt lighting used in most RV's, that adds a different level of complexity in finding a WiFi accessible switching system. Most of the WiFi remote switches on the market are for 120 volt use and are powered by 120 volts.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jisaiah14
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:
I guess I need to ask the very first question and that is - will you have internet and a router with you wherever you go camping? If you do then great - I think any wifi switch would work provided its able to fit into the outlet. A lot of them are big and chunky and you might not have the room for them to fit in

I will have WIFI 24/7 as I am not moving the RV.

The size is the issue. Standard switches will not work due to the size of them. 5 of the switches I want to replace are located on the same control/electronics panel on the bottom side of it with others (Water heater, etc) right above them.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I need to ask the very first question and that is - will you have internet and a router with you wherever you go camping? If you do then great - I think any wifi switch would work provided its able to fit into the outlet. A lot of them are big and chunky and you might not have the room for them to fit in

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K