cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wifi repeater

murphy38
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking into getting a wifi repeater for our rv. The campground wifi is just out of range to keep a go connection. I am looking at two system the Radiolabs wifi xl and the Rouge Wave. Both seem to be good systems. Has anyone had any experience with either of these. Need to get something soon.
14 REPLIES 14

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I went with Ubiquiti's Nano Station 2 for vastly improved WiFi reception.
Here is my project.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
I use Jefa Tech and it works great.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
For less than $100 you can have an excellent WiFi repeater setup AND make that repeater wireless so you can connect multiple devices to that incoming signal.
It does take a bit of computer knowledge but there is a youtube video that walks you through the required hardware and a step by step video instructional. It was done by David Bott with the Tiffin RV forum. The video can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i8SmOf5ZTw
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Assuming you have a USB connector I use a USB WiFi adapter and a Yaggi directional antenna... eBay $35.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
rekoj71 wrote:
That link from AllegroD is to the video I was thinking of. The items I mentioned are all from the same company and all get set up the same way as his video shows as they all have the same firmware installed.
I know very little about programing and don't know what half of the options in the software for these even do, but his set up is right on and works good. I didn't use the baby router that he bought as I had a router already and wanted one with the 4 port switch on the back.

All the items can be bought on Amazon or other such sources.

KRumm
Explorer
Explorer
In searching I came across this... It looks exactly like the Wifi Ranger Elite (Which is $359) hum... ๐Ÿ˜‰

http://www.amazon.com/MikroTik-RBMETAL2SHPN-RouterBOARD-Metal2SHPn-Standards/dp/B00AY7U5YK/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_cp_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51iyv9pziXL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR135%2C135_&refRID=05W2ZN10Z5N10BW1MC03

KRumm
Explorer
Explorer
Also Ubiquti makes a omnidirectional model too...

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-BulletM2-HP-POE-24V-AXA-NFNF-Outdoor/dp/B015YD97DI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448859031&sr=8-2&keywords=BM2HP

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
That link from AllegroD is to the video I was thinking of. The items I mentioned are all from the same company and all get set up the same way as his video shows as they all have the same firmware installed.
I know very little about programing and don't know what half of the options in the software for these even do, but his set up is right on and works good. I didn't use the baby router that he bought as I had a router already and wanted one with the 4 port switch on the back.

KRumm
Explorer
Explorer
Another option to consider is the Wifi Ranger brand...
The Elite goes for $359 https://wifiranger.com/shop/product/50-elite

They also have the basic Sky2 for $199 (Which is buried in their website and not promoted) it is a very nice piece of kit

https://wifiranger.com/shop/product/55-sky2

Before you buy from them dig around the Tecnomadia Blog - They have a 5% discount code ๐Ÿ˜‰

Also note that when some models boast of 1-2 mile range they are referring to unobstructed nautical mile

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
OK. You can do this from two different directions. You can boost connection to the CG and connect your phone to wifi, where the router is primary internet connection or, if CG is bad or non existent, you can connect your router to your 3g/4g phone hotspot, where your phone is primary internet connection.

You can set it up for $100-200, depending on what devices you pick.

Read/Watch HERE.

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at the Ubiquti Nano Station (directional), or Pico Station if you prefer more power with a small Omni-directional antenna, or the Bullet if you want it to be more like the ones you posted? They are much cheaper (under $100)and not as hard as they look to set up. There is a good you tube video of a fulltimer setting one up to do what you are wanting. They are just as powerful.
I just set one up in my RV and it brings the signal to my regular router for me to use everything inside my RV.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Rogue Wave and have had very good results with it.

Just remember that although these devices will bring in a signal that is too far away to get otherwise, they are not magic. If the campground has inadequate bandwidth to their internet provider, these won't fix that problem.

If you can get good download speeds at their office, but not at your campsite . . . these will help considerably.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Also look at Hawking Electronics. I have their combination wifi amp/repeater. Works great.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter