cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 - Anniversary Edition?

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
After taking several months of getting familiar with Windows 10, yesterday one of my computers upgraded itself to Windows 10 Ver 1607 which I assume is the Anniversary Edition??? It took forever to complete but I was never asked if I even wanted to install it! Why did this happen? Was it that auto update did it? Bottom line is that this morning several of my installed programs have either forced me to reload them againor re-enter registration data and one even gave me the message Not Compatible with current version of Windows... It worked yesterday with Win 10 (prior version) but not today with 1607.. Just wanted to give Win 10 users a heads up on what I experienced..
17 REPLIES 17

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
NeverHome2 wrote:
I have an HP touch screen and the windows updates are a nightmare. I finally turned off the automatic updates from windows 10! I was tired of them forcing their updates especially on functionality that I never used. They even made turning off the updates tricky! You have to set your internet connection to "metered" to fake them out! Argh! :S

This last update caused major issues and I had to redo the computer. Since my personal files are not stored on the hard drive it was not hard to reload windows and my other programs. The windows anniversary edition caused hardware problems though.

My problem now is I lost my touch screen capabilities. I had it with the prior edition of windows 10 but now it is gone! Can't find touch screen anywhere in the device manager! Any advise on how to solve this problem would be appreciated.

Have you gone to the HP site to see if there are new updates for their drivers? Windoze should of installed them, but it never hurts to check. Just a thought.

NeverHome2
Explorer
Explorer
I have an HP touch screen and the windows updates are a nightmare. I finally turned off the automatic updates from windows 10! I was tired of them forcing their updates especially on functionality that I never used. They even made turning off the updates tricky! You have to set your internet connection to "metered" to fake them out! Argh! :S

This last update caused major issues and I had to redo the computer. Since my personal files are not stored on the hard drive it was not hard to reload windows and my other programs. The windows anniversary edition caused hardware problems though.

My problem now is I lost my touch screen capabilities. I had it with the prior edition of windows 10 but now it is gone! Can't find touch screen anywhere in the device manager! Any advise on how to solve this problem would be appreciated.
Lovin' Life!!!!

2005 HR Endeavor

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine got upgraded last week. No problems SO FAR, just a minor change in one menu arrangement that does not really bother me.

The program that does not work may run in compatibility mode, Try that.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
RTompkins3 wrote:
I'm using a product called "Start 10" by Startdock Software. It will give you a start button menu very much like windows 7.

Start 10, StartIsBack, and Classic Shell are all products that allow running Windows 10 with the Windows 7 desktop/Start Menu.

No need to shun Windows 10. As previous poster said, it is all configurable and I personally think Windows 10 is the best Windows yet (and I am not a Microsoft fan). As a platform for non-Microsoft applications it does the job. If you accept the defaults when it installs you will get more than you probably wanted, e.g. a Microsoft account rather than a local Windows account.

I have installed it on dozens of systems (not one with a Microsoft account) of my own and friends and believe the issues lamented on the threads in this forum are blown out of proportion.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

RTompkins3
Explorer
Explorer
eichacsj wrote:
All of these complaints are configurable. Google is your friend if you want to find out how to make behind the scenes configurations Google it.

Also if you like Win 7 look, configure it for that look. The only thing you can't do is get rid of the new start button and Bing, but you can make the rest of it look like Win 7, I did.

Good luck with your configurations.

I'm using a product called "Start 10" by Startdock Software. It will give you a start button menu very much like windows 7.
Ralph (W1KDK) and Cathy
2015 LifeStyle LS38RS 5th Wheel
HMC USN(Ret)

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
All of these complaints are configurable. Google is your friend if you want to find out how to make behind the scenes configurations Google it.

For the past several versions I configure the install for local install only (win 8 and 10 they made it very hard to see), I do not allow the install to use the cloud login and social site integration. I also configure the updates to require me to select when or if it updates, you can even set it so that it will not go look unless you do it manually. I didn't allow the update version to install, I went to MS Site and downloaded a full package update, it had slight differences one of which was you can not go back because it deleted all of Win 8 (I do not like overlay updates, causes unique issues.)

Also if you like Win 7 look, configure it for that look. The only thing you can't do is get rid of the new start button and Bing, but you can make the rest of it look like Win 7, I did.

Good luck with your configurations.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
camperforlife wrote:

Barney, I have 2 Surfaces that have been running the update for some time with no issues. Surface was the first to get the anniversary update. My desktop did the update today and stuck exactly at 32% as well. I finally got brave and forced it to shut down. Turned it back on and it finished loading with no hiccups. I think it must have stuck on one of the reboots.

Thank you for that! I had decided that that was what I was going to do when I went upstairs just before bed tonight. Hope I have the same luck as you did! 🙂 I'll know in the morning when I boot it up again.
Barney

Edit: It is Friday morning. I turned on the computer and it reverted back to my previous version of Windows 10 (1511). Everything is working well now. Not sure how to prevent it from happening again however.:R Thanks for the suggestions.
Barney

Edit #2: Just turned on my laptop which I had set to update at 3:30am last night. Computer was turned off during the night and this morning I find it did NOT begin the update when turned on. Looks like that may be a way to bypass this update if you don't want it.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
I wish Microsoft would at least tell you when they're doing an update. Sometimes my computer just goes into creepy crawler mode at unexpected times when it is downloading an update. I tried to turn on my Venue tablet the other day to do something in the doctor's office, and it said "Update in Progress" "Do not turn off", and proceeded to update for better than the next hour. That was a very inconvenient time for the update to happen.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I have been on Windows 10 for some time now and like it.
HOWEVER, today my main desktop tried to update itself to version 1607. Everything seemed to be going fine until the updates got to 32% and it has stayed there for the past 6 hours. Very little hard drive activity going on so I assume it has locked up.

What is my next step? I am considering letting it keep running until tomorrow morning and if still at 32% done, giving Microsoft a call unless someone here has a better suggestion. I don't dare force a shut down now for fear it won't start again so please don't suggest going back to Windows 7. Not sure I can do that now anyway.

Any ideas?

My new laptop came with Window 10 and I see the update is ready to be installed. I have it set to update at 3:30AM when the computer is shut down so I don't think it will do it. Hope not - at least for now.
Barney

Barney, I have 2 Surfaces that have been running the update for some time with no issues. Surface was the first to get the anniversary update. My desktop did the update today and stuck exactly at 32% as well. I finally got brave and forced it to shut down. Turned it back on and it finished loading with no hiccups. I think it must have stuck on one of the reboots.

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
wish I could go back to 7.. but that is to far distant in the rear view mirror..

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
I tried Win 10 and hated it.

I went back to Win 7 very quickly!!!
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I still like Win 10. I did have to do some kind of a log in modification today but otherwise I don't see any changes.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been on Windows 10 for some time now and like it.
HOWEVER, today my main desktop tried to update itself to version 1607. Everything seemed to be going fine until the updates got to 32% and it has stayed there for the past 6 hours. Very little hard drive activity going on so I assume it has locked up.

What is my next step? I am considering letting it keep running until tomorrow morning and if still at 32% done, giving Microsoft a call unless someone here has a better suggestion. I don't dare force a shut down now for fear it won't start again so please don't suggest going back to Windows 7. Not sure I can do that now anyway.

Any ideas?

My new laptop came with Window 10 and I see the update is ready to be installed. I have it set to update at 3:30AM when the computer is shut down so I don't think it will do it. Hope not - at least for now.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with ng2951, I know several people,including a brother in law and my son who went to win 10 and hate it. Typical of Microsoft, they have always put out products and let the public beta test them (at their own expense) (my opinion)
I will keep my win7
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game