cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10 Creators Update and Windows Defender

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Microsoft just installed the creators update yesterday. So far, all is OK. I was curious, though, that they made it a point to rename Windows Defender,"Windows Defender Anti-virus". I was under the impression it was already an anti-virus. Does that mean Defender is now a force to be reckoned with? I'm already using Norton Security, but when the subscription ends, I may like to try WD as long as there have been meaningful improvements.

Toshiba laptop, W10 Home, version 1703
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
11 REPLIES 11

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has a dell windows 10 that is under years old and a virus took out windows 10 last winter . WD did not stop anything for her.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
deandec wrote:
I have used WD only on two laptops since installing the W10 in 2015.

No problems to report so far.....

X2
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
I have used WD only on two laptops since installing the W10 in 2015.

No problems to report so far.....
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Last I checked Windows Defender was not rated well by the white hat guys (People who fight hackers)... And i'd assume that has not changed.

I used to say that I felt MS paid a bonus to the programmer who's back door was the hardest to find.

I believe I read somewhere that there have been improvements to WD since the recent W10 Creator's Update.
Still, the best antimalware is the computer operator. Many problems can be prevented by being careful on the web and where you click.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last I checked Windows Defender was not rated well by the white hat guys (People who fight hackers)... And i'd assume that has not changed.

I used to say that I felt MS paid a bonus to the programmer who's back door was the hardest to find.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. I decided to try Comodo free internet security. Just installed it today. I had no problem with Defender, but I'll use this program for now. I'm a consummate experimenter. ๐Ÿ™‚

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
All rating websites probably have some bias but this one (PC Magazine on Windows Defender) seems likely to be as unbiased as any.

It doesn't rate the upgraded WD above even free antivirus programs. I use AVG Free and have for years and never gotten a virus but their constant nudges to buy their paid version makes me wish it wasn't true about WD.

That was a good article, AsheGuy. Thanks for sharing. When my Norton subscription expires, I'll no doubt use a 3rd party AV app, such as AVast or Bitdefender, both of which I've used in the past. Here's a snippet from that article, which gives some nice options:
FreeFree at AVG Technologies 9.5. Webroot, PC Matic, and Comodo all earned a perfect 10 points.

Can't improve on that!

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
All rating websites probably have some bias but this one (PC Magazine on Windows Defender) seems likely to be as unbiased as any.

It doesn't rate the upgraded WD above even free antivirus programs. I use AVG Free and have for years and never gotten a virus but their constant nudges to buy their paid version makes me wish it wasn't true about WD.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
Microsoft just installed the creators update yesterday. So far, all is OK. I was curious, though, that they made it a point to rename Windows Defender,"Windows Defender Anti-virus". I was under the impression it was already an anti-virus. Does that mean Defender is now a force to be reckoned with? I'm already using Norton Security, but when the subscription ends, I may like to try WD as long as there have been meaningful improvements.

Toshiba laptop, W10 Home, version 1703

It is and has been since Window Security Essentials. Been running it since WinXP and have yet to have anything get past it.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Who knows.

I use Avast Free, and Malwarebytes free. I hate Norton/Symantec. It's a memory hog and almost impossible to completely uninstall. Good luck with that piece of it.

I've had no problem completely uninstalling Norton, using Revo Uninstaller. I've done this several times recently, just experimenting with different products.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Who knows.

I use Avast Free, and Malwarebytes free. I hate Norton/Symantec. It's a memory hog and almost impossible to completely uninstall. Good luck with that piece of it.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board