Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10 failed on W7 machine

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Just an alert.

I did the Windows 10 update on two computers. One was W8.1 and the other W7.

After two weeks of use, the updated former W7 machine lost the ability to navigate via the "Windows Button" on the screen and on the keyboard.

This occurred to only one user of three set up on that computer.

After 5 hours of trying to analyze and fix the problem, I elected to revert to W7 for that machine. (We have 30 days from the W10 update event to revert to W7 and can do the W10 update again until July of 2016 I think.)

Since I do not know if the problem was an administrative or software problem, I only post this to alert folks who have yet to make the update decision.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC
3 REPLIES 3

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
Is July 2016 the magic date before I have to go to LINUX? :B

Do yourself a favor and don't wait. I had to use my laptop with Win7, and it was the slowest, most painful experience I can imagine- took 12 hours to run update, rebooting many times. Each time I tell it restart- it pops up "A program is keeping windows from restarting".
Which program?
Windows Update!
Really?

Once it was updated, it still runs like a dog compared to Linux- and I'm not even running a lightweight desktop (on that Laptop, I run Debian testing, right now using the Gnome desktop, though I prefer the K desktop environment, it is broken. Nice thing about Linux- the desktop is separate from the base system, giving you complete control.

End of soapbox ๐Ÿ™‚
-- Chris Bryant

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had two WIN 8.1 and two WIN 7 machines (ALL LAPTOPS) to upgrade. We upgraded the two WIN 8.1 and one WIN 7 with ease.

The other WIN 7 machine failed the upgrade at the same point every time it was tried. Our fix for that was to re-install the WIN 7 operating system and then upload the some 200 WINDOWS OS upgrades which took some time. After all of that it finally loaded up WIN 10 just fine and is still working great today...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Is July 2016 the magic date before I have to go to LINUX? :B