cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 11 available on October 5

Microsoft announced that Windows 11 will be available as a FREE upgrade to WIN 10 users beginning October 5, 2021. The upgrade will be rolled out through 2022 to eligible PC hardware.

Read the Microsoft blog article: Windows 11 available on October 5
23 REPLIES 23

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really really like early adopters as they save me lots of needless trouble shooting and aggravation. My Lenovo Laptop ICore 7 is eligible but I am very happy (mostly) with windows 10 and on an older standby Windows 7 laptop. Use latest Malwarebytes premium on both. Cheers to the

What graphics card are you currently running?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Maybe it's time for an upgrade. I'm learning to fly and I downloaded a simulator to help with cockpit management. I'm only able to get about 6 frames per second even with the graphics turned down.

ORRRR

Maybe a clean install of W10.

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning on using Windows 10 until cutoff date. May load a version of Ubuntu on my "obsolete" desktop, I can do everything that I need on that system.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
joebedford wrote:
My PC is old enough that I'm not eligible for the inner ring W11 beta (because it doesn't have secure boot) but MS assures me that W11 will run just fine despite that security opening in my machine.
Apparently NOT.

Just got their new PC Health tool and it says "No Windows 11 for you but we'll keep updating your Windows 10!".

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise: what I've seen of the W11 UI, they're trying to make it look like a phone. I have ZERO interest in that.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
you guys are hilarious i built a computer back 2010, it was able to run windows 10 without issue, not sure how long you expect them to support a operating system, no one is forced to upgrade. They are a business, go to mac or linux if your not happy.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
cleo43 wrote:
1492 wrote:
What's driving much of the eligible hardware requirements is to harden security. Cyber-criminals and hackers are exploiting Bios and CPU vulnerabilities that can allow injection and running malicious code, which no software based security can protect against. Thus requiring newer CPU and Bios chip systems.

They touted the same thing about UEFI more than a decade ago. They purposely rendered millions of Linux Computers useless, and Ubuntu had to scramble for solution (Ubuntu paid $M for ONE licence, then unlock it for all people who install Ubuntu).
By the way UEFI or no, computers still get hacked left and right.

By the way, UEFI requires a FAT32 boot partition in order to just start the OS boot process. This actually makes the OS far less secure and even more vulnerable to hackers.

As far as UEFI making linux unusable goes, every computer BIOS actually has the ability to to set the boot to "legacy" disabling the UEFI embedded in the BIOS.

UEFI is not a "requirement" to install Win 8, 8.1 or 10, all of those versions install perfectly fine on Legacy BIOS setting..

MS did attempt to force UEFI as a requirement in the installer on the Win10 USB sticks made from their own USB stick builder but that can be removed and bypassed easily.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I know Linux seems "scar"
What does "scar" mean? Scary?

I have a dual boot system on one of my PCs - W10 and Ubuntu. On the surface Ubuntu is easy to use but I've been unable to get it to share files with the other W10 PCs on my network or find my network printer. It accesses the internet just fine.

It's not scary to me but for the most part W10 does what I need. No need to switch as the webserver I was planning to install I did in the cloud instead.

My PC is old enough that I'm not eligible for the inner ring W11 beta (because it doesn't have secure boot) but MS assures me that W11 will run just fine despite that security opening in my machine.

As long as you don't connect your WINXP PC to the internet, you can continue to use it with little risk. Connect to the net, then you've already been hacked regardless of what security software you have running. The question is if any of your other systems connected to the same router network have been compromised by using your WINXP machine as a gateway?

We have some WIN7 machines running due to software requirements at work, but are restricted to their own DMZ network allowing only internet access while having no access to our internal network.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lynnmor wrote:
It never ends. I have some XP computers running software that I am not paying thousands to update needlessly
How are you protecting them from known security flaws?

cleo43
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
What's driving much of the eligible hardware requirements is to harden security. Cyber-criminals and hackers are exploiting Bios and CPU vulnerabilities that can allow injection and running malicious code, which no software based security can protect against. Thus requiring newer CPU and Bios chip systems.

They touted the same thing about UEFI more than a decade ago. They purposely rendered millions of Linux Computers useless, and Ubuntu had to scramble for solution (Ubuntu paid $M for ONE licence, then unlock it for all people who install Ubuntu).
By the way UEFI or no, computers still get hacked left and right.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
BB_Tx,

One word.

Virus.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

However, Microsoft is apparently not stopping you from 'manually' upgrading to Windows 11 with older systems. You just can't do so automatically from within Windows 10. Your system won't be as secure if you choose to do so.

Not much different from installing no longer supported Windows 7, Vista, or XP now. Microsoft does not stop you from doing so. Especially, for those running software not compatible with newer Windows versions. Just allowing more pathways open to hackers.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
{Big long sighhhhhhhh) So my windows 10 computer will now be obsolete due to insufficient memory and I will be forced to buy a new machine that can handle 11, and do exactly the same stuff I am doing now which is the web, Word, Excel, and photos. All of which work fine for me, but I will ultimately have no choice and will be forced to move up. (Another big long sighhhhhhhhhhhh)

Time to go Linux !

I know Linux seems "scar", but start with a simple version, Linux Mint. You still have to pick a user interface. Either Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce. Personally, I like Xfce. It seems simpler.

LibreOffice will handle your Work and Excel work (unless you have programming done in Excel). You should have no problems reading any existing files.

Best of all, you can set up dual boot so you can go back to WIN 10 or WIN 7 anytime you want.