cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 8.1 Corrupted

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Asus Model S56C laptop that is about 2-1/2 years old with windows 8.1 that is corrupted. Staples is charging 199.00 to back up data and reinstall 8.1 and put my Microsoft Office back on and my data....then upgrade to Windows 10.

My concern is if I pay 200 bucks and still have problems...is it better to just put the money towards a new laptop?

Thank you for your input.
16 REPLIES 16

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have the W8 or 8.1 install disk?
It either came with it or you were prompted to make a rescue disk.

If you do reinstall it yourself.
It will update the drivers after it installs.
I have found that lately everything runs better with the MS driver that the individual ones.

You can check the device manage for individual update later if you want.

If there are not other problems the keep the laptop.
I am not on mine now that was a W7 machine and i now W10 perfectly.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
I have an Asus Model S56C laptop that is about 2-1/2 years old with windows 8.1 that is corrupted. Staples is charging 199.00 to back up data and reinstall 8.1 and put my Microsoft Office back on and my data....then upgrade to Windows 10.

My concern is if I pay 200 bucks and still have problems...is it better to just put the money towards a new laptop?

yup. Windows 7 is a viable, stable op sys assuming you don't want to upgrade to Windows 10. either way you'll be better off than with Win 8/8.1x. any idea why your laptop became corrupted and with what?

No idea why corrupted. Will post if I find out when new one is ready.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the input. We bought HP Pavilion 15 AB 165 US Notebook for $449.00 at Staples. We live in boonies...only store in town besides wal-mart. 8GB, 5th generation i5, 1TB, 2.2 GHz, loaded with Windows 10. WLAN/Bluetooth. HD Bright View. They are transferring our MS Office, documents and pictures over and creating recovery disks for us charging $100.

The old ASUS I will try to figure out how to recover it back to Windows 8 and see if we can still use it.

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
... Windows 7 is a viable, stable op sys ...

The same can be said of Win 7, 8 or 10. I run all 3 OSes and have no issues with any of them.

@lots2seeinmyrv - I suppose if it's going to cost you at least $200, you might as well get a new computer out of the deal.

Don't you know any geek friends that will re-install your OS for a six-pack?
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Which ever way you choose to proceed, get the applicable license keys. If software (MS Office) comes preloaded, you should be given the applicable license key(s) so you can choose to reload at your leisure.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
200 Today at Wal*mart gets you an HP Stream with very little of anyting.. I do nto recommend it

200 last black Friday got me an 15+ inch HP with 500 Gigs of HD, 4 Gigs of Ram and an Intel Quad Core CPU. Windows 10, This was my early Christmas present to a friend who was complaining her 10 year old DEL was too heavy to lug about (it is) plus the Del is Dying.... She is kind of happy with the new HP.

Frankly My recommendation would depend on the comptuer... But I have one recommendation that I will give.

A very good disc imaging type back up program coupled with Two Or THREE (or more) external hard drives.

Every week, run the back up with one of the drives Rotating drives. Keep one of the drives in your car or Truck, one in your Motor home or Trailer. If you have more than two you can find places for the remaining or double up on the above.

If the worst happens (Some idiot rips off yoru computer, Fire destroys it) you still have all your data from one of the last two weekends backed up in the other vehicle.

Source: My Mother.

She was head of accounting for some companies,, She kept a daily backup of incremental data in her desk drawer.

A weekely backup in the office safe

And a full backup (*monthly*) in a data vault at her house 30 miles away

Theft: The computer and perhaps the daily
Fire, Likely would not destroy contents of safe but if it did there is the home backup"

Explosion might blow the safe but again there is the homne backup.

Thermonuclear bomb, Might get all 3 backups but in that case.. nobody is going to care.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

yup. Windows 7 is a viable, stable op sys assuming you don't want to upgrade to Windows 10. either way you'll be better off than with Win 8/8.1x. any idea why your laptop became corrupted and with what?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Progression of things happened. My USB ports were having problems. Not recognize ptinter cable. Then sometimes wireless mouse. Then monkey with it and finally work. I would type, screen would go nuts scroll up and down. Over last 2 months problems. Yesterday would not boot. Blue screen with /BCD error. Pressed Esc dot into DOS screen to try and get boot...did not boot. So I googled on phone what to do. They said Hold Power Key and F9 and that worked, got it to boot. Got on MSN and internet.

The other problem was would not Shut Down right for weeks. Click shut down...would start the process but not Power Off. Had to hold Power button and force complete shut down. Then recently it would just reboot itself.

We decided to go buy new laptop. Off to Staples today and see what they have.

debraindi
Explorer
Explorer
Just what happened? I have 8.1 with chrome that locked up.If you can get into MSN or another server you might can fix it your self. My 8.1 was down for 2 days with a block on Chrome.
2013 LML Duramax
2015 311 Keystone Impact
200q 24 partycraft 150 mercury
Time out motor cycle trailer
2009 Harley RG 575 cams thunder-max tuned
1970 350 JD crawler loader

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
I did not have data backed up myself. MS Office they loaded at the store when I bought the laptop so no disks. I do not have key code but they say I should have account set up on office.com. Now some laptops we saw in store are 8.1 then they will update it to 10 when you buy one. No fun dealing with this:(

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, if you have your data backed up and have your microsoft office install disks, you are better off buying a new laptop.

You might consider reinstalling your operating system on the old computer and selling it on ebay. I recently sold an older (windows vista) laptop that way.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doesn't your computer have a factory reinstall on it where you can go to the factory installed version and then upgrade to 10?
It should be one of the recovery options
Traveling with my best friend my wife!